Best deck of plastics (3 Viewers)

Need a help. Do you know this decks? Made for WSOP by Cartamundi but I do not know what year...
s-l1600.jpg

Promotional set for general public sale would be my guess. Not an actual WSOP set.

Cartamundi owns Copag, Probably produced & offered for sale by agreement w/WSOP for one of the years Copag supplied the cards for WSOP.

Promotional set for general public sale would be my guess. Not an actual WSOP set.

Cartamundi owns Copag, Probably produced & offered for sale by agreement w/WSOP for one of the years Copag supplied the cards for WSOP.
Thx. I think I will pass.

View attachment 403113

The sickness is real.

I have duplicate setups for several of these cards that aren’t pictured. Even then, I know there are probably many out there who would consider this a small sample of their collection.
Only because I took this picture over the weekend. This doesn’t count the two full MFRB’s that I have and all the other decks that I’ve left where we play our game.
D1196F22-3C2D-4BB3-9054-E4D436103CE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe I should have mentioned that rather than assuming it was common knowledge. :D

USPCC bought Fournier back in 1986. Cartamundi now owns USPCC.

It's getting kinda incestuous out there. :D
I thing about something different. I had Fournier cards before and in 2011 bought 2 decks of Bicycle Prestige. They were so so but they lost ink very fast. Maybe now they are being printed by different factory.

I thing about something different. I had Fournier cards before and in 2011 bought 2 decks of Bicycle Prestige. They were so so but they lost ink very fast. Maybe now they are being printed by different factory.

Bicycle cards are marketed by Fournier.
https://www.nhfournier.es/en/products/100-plastic/

All of the Prestige decks I currently own (red / blue in both standard and jumbo index) have "Made in Spain" somewhere on the packaging. In my experience, the cards feel close enough to my Fournier sets to believe they are made in the same facilities.

Prestige_BR_02.jpg

There are clear differences between Prestige poker-size and bridge-size cards, particularly regarding ink durability.

There are clear differences between Prestige poker-size and bridge-size cards, particularly regarding ink durability.

I can't comment on the Prestige bridge size cards. I can state that my Fournier 2818 poker size cards show similar wear to my poker size Bicycle Prestige cards. Even with the wear, they are still my favourite cards in terms of feel.

I can't comment on the Prestige bridge size cards. I can state that my Fournier 2818 poker size cards show similar wear to my poker size Bicycle Prestige cards. Even with the wear, they are still my favourite cards in terms of feel.
My poker-size Prestige cards showed much heavier ink wear than do the bridge size (which do show some minor wear, but at a much slower rate). I've not experienced any ink wear at all from my Fournier bridge-size cards.

The poker-size Prestige cards also have more of a pebbled textured surface when compared to the bridge-size versions.

So this is a cost of globalization.... You buying American goods.. You get Spanish... Are you sure... Well not quite...

Having read the Modiano/Desjgn thread finally to learn what all the fuss is about, I came away under the distinct impression that Desjgn customer service is outstanding. To take responsibility and correct an error of that magnitude is really impressive. If you haven’t checked out the thread it’s really amazing. They should use it as an example in business schools of how to handle customer problems.
Can anyone post a link to a summary of what actually happened?

Am looking forward to getting my first order of Desjgns.

My experience is that Copags are lower quality than most others -- the ink wears out much faster than on premium priced brands. This is also true to a lesser degree with Bicycle Prestige cards, another lower-priced option.

The really cheap plastic card options -- Royal, etc. -- have quality issues with ink, cutting edge and size irregularities, and corner durability.

Plastic cards vary quite a bit in quality. Copag is on the lower end. I used them until I discovered better alternatives.

In my torture test over a series of 6 hour games of a set of Copag Uniques, they were definitely better in feel than the standard decks, the experience got spoiled when one of the cards developed a chip/crack, sadly ending the test.

In my torture test over a series of 6 hour games of a set of Copag Uniques, they were definitely better in feel than the standard decks, the experience got spoiled when one of the cards developed a chip/crack, sadly ending the test.
Desjgn paid modiano to print cards. Modiano printed cards with backs of varying shades (making them essentially marked, and essentially useless.) Desjgn showed modiano the problem and asked them to reprint the cards. Modiano refused. Desjgn paid to print new cards for its customers.

Desjgn paid modiano to print cards. Modiano printed cards with backs of varying shades (making them essentially marked, and essentially useless.) Desjgn showed modiano the problem and asked them to reprint the cards. Modiano refused. Desjgn paid to print new cards for its customers.

Damn. Kudos to Desjgn. Did they ever take Modiano to court?

And there's a little more to the story. Modiano had the money in-hand and essentially ignored a large-volume repeat customer who had a valid complaint regarding the unacceptable-quality delivered product. Would not even respond to inquries or follow-ups.

Desjgn also had the money in-hand (from prepaid orders), and rather than screw over his customers by merely delivering a flawed product and walking away, instead had new cards printed by a different manufacturer at his own expense and distributed those to his customers free of additional charges. Not even shipping charges.

Speaks volumes about both companies, and the people who run them.

And there's a little more to the story. Modiano had the money in-hand and essentially ignored a large-volume repeat customer who had a valid complaint regarding the unacceptable-quality delivered product. Would not even respond to inquries or follow-ups.

Desjgn also had the money in-hand (from prepaid orders), and rather than screw over his customers by merely delivering a flawed product and walking away, instead had new cards printed by a different manufacturer at his own expense and distributed those to his customers free of additional charges. Not even shipping charges.

Speaks volumes about both companies, and the people who run them.
This is a good point. At the time, it seemed like the Desjgn business model was to raise capital through kickstarter. All the decks were sold and shipped before the problem was noticed. He could have told us all "tough luck," but instead, he bough new decks for all of us. So yeah, he definitely earned some good will from his customers on that one.

Can anyone post a link to a summary of what actually happened?

Here's a link to the actual whole story... https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/bridge-jumbo-index-issue.24936/

And, one of the more obvious examples....

20171103_015825-jpg.132675

What really put me on mega-tilt was the fact that even when some of the examples were shipped back to Modiano so they could hold in their own hands & see for themselves the obvious evidence that they'd screwed the quality control pooch, they flat out denied there was a problem.

Of all the unmitigated gall..... just pathetic.

To not see a tonal difference in the above you have to be blind, stupid, or a snake.

I leave it to you to decide which.

Last edited:
There is no such a thing like "standard deck"....

I'd guest the cost of that litigation would be daunting.
I can tell you that a “small” domestic business litigation case can quickly escalate to $100,000 in fees. A small international business litigation case would have likely cost @desjgn more than the cost of the card run in miscellaneous attorney expenses alone! A legal win would have been a Pyrrhic victory.

It certainly appears that the customer service Desjgn provided should be the gold standard for vendors.

Maybe going off the rails here.
What a demonstration of integrity on the part of Desjn looking after their customers. This may have been disastrous for any company, never mind a new start, but likely has won a brand loyalty of some for life.
Purely speculative and not to defend Modiano but typically quality control is typically measured on criteria set by the buyer or their engineering team. I would expect Modiano would have a certain level of market understanding and could have cautioned their customer of an issue. The decision to leave it up to Desjn to sort out in today's social media world is a huge risk. They could have stepped up. Unfortunately many consumers will never know this happened but for those who do care Modiano will never see their felt again.
Just my opinion from 35 years in the manufacturing business

Last edited:
Maybe going off the rails here.

I would expect Modiano would have a certain level of market understanding and could have cautioned their customer of an issue. The decision to leave it up to Desjn to sort out in today's social media world is a huge risk. They could have stepped up.

Just my opinion from 35 years in the manufacturing business

Not off the rails at all.... nor off the mark either.

As I've stated previously in other topics where the subject came up...

As someone who's actually been involved in the print media process a couple decades ago, this stack of sheets wouldn't have left my press without being flagged for QC issues somewhere in the stack. Which would have allowed later processes to be on the lookout for the sheets with the issue & pull 'em out if they had the chance, or flag 'em again. Point being, it should have been noticed somewhere in the process.

Sure, crap happens.... press operator missed it, cut machine operator missed it, packaging missed it... OK, fine, it was one of those rare occasions the QC process was a complete fail all the way to the customer. Not the 1st time in history.

At that point if you have any integrity as a manufacturer you need to put on your big boy pants & say' "Yup, we screwed up. How can we fix this?"

Not..... "What problem?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom