Best deck of plastics (2 Viewers)

Having read the Modiano/Desjgn thread finally to learn what all the fuss is about, I came away under the distinct impression that Desjgn customer service is outstanding. To take responsibility and correct an error of that magnitude is really impressive. If you haven’t checked out the thread it’s really amazing. They should use it as an example in business schools of how to handle customer problems.

I can think of no better example of both 'doing the right thing' and 'NOT doing the right thing' in the actions of both companies.

Desjgn won a devoted customer for life, and Modiano's deplorable action transformed a past customer into a vocal detractor of all things Modiano. Product quality is irrelevant when it's produced by thieves.

Does anyone know why they have the pale yellow tint on the inside boxes of all the cards besides the faces?
Just a design thing to make the cards seem more elegant I think. Usually see it more from the European manufacturers, but it seems to be pretty popular throughout now.

Ok guys.. I am always on the side of fair trade. In previous post I acknowledge my sentiment to Modiano and mentioned that trade dispute should be subject to legal procedure.
Having said that I do know hove hard it is to get fair treatment from big company if you private person or start up.
That's why I solomly swear not to buy Modiano cards ever. It kills my because I am still looking for the deck of Elements to my collection.
Best Regards to Desjgn.

In the spirit of moving on...a little Desjgn Pr0n...

I've had this unopened, NOS box of Desjgn Classic Paisley sitting around for a while now. A boxed single deck, can't even Google up anything similar. What color is that anyway? Silver?

Photo Jan 22, 3 36 20 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 22, 3 36 40 PM.jpg

I can think of no better example of both 'doing the right thing' and 'NOT doing the right thing' in the actions of both companies.

Desjgn won a devoted customer for life, and Modiano's deplorable action transformed a past customer into a vocal detractor of all things Modiano. Product quality is irrelevant when it's produced by thieves.
I'll second that.... when it comes to customer service, I don't think there's anyone on the planet that beats Jason. Talk about "going above & beyond the call".
A boxed single deck, can't even Google up anything similar.

I've got these.... Desjgn v1.0 single deck, plastic cases, circa 2006.....

desjgn2006-png.382347

... still in use to this day... in my "travel set".

I'll second that.... when it comes to customer service, I don't think there's anyone on the planet that beats Jason. Talk about "going above & beyond the call".

I've got these.... Desjgn v1.0 single deck, plastic cases, circa 2006.....

desjgn2006-png.382347

... still in use to this day... in my "travel set".
Now you can call it "RETRO"

@BirdCage welcome to PokerChip forums! If you remove the die cut j in the logo it will reveal the back color although a silver back might be pretty sweet. Those decks are where it all started. @jr8719 no worries on not liking the faces and fonts as we all have our likes when it comes to the poker equipment. I enjoy reading the differences that make this community great, interesting, and unique. Thank you for the sentiments all.

From a playing card collector’s perspective I enjoy how KEMs shuffle, the feel of Fourniers, and the bright white stock that many others have.

@BirdCage welcome to PokerChip forums! If you remove the die cut j in the logo it will reveal the back color although a silver back might be pretty sweet. Those decks are where it all started. @jr8719 no worries on not liking the faces and fonts as we all have our likes when it comes to the poker equipment. I enjoy reading the differences that make this community great, interesting, and unique. Thank you for the sentiments all.

From a playing card collector’s perspective I enjoy how KEMs shuffle, the feel of Fourniers, and the bright white stock that many others have.
Exactly! If everyone had the same opinion the world would be a pretty boring place, right? Great to see your business thriving though — and I will more than likely place an order in the future to see for myself why people love them so much, anyway.

Do you do single decks at all?

View attachment 403113

The sickness is real.

I have duplicate setups for several of these cards that aren’t pictured. Even then, I know there are probably many out there who would consider this a small sample of their collection.
I'll dig out and post my collection one day. This happened to me too because I'm on a chip diet. Just because I'm on a chip diet doesn't mean I'm on a cards, dealer button, cut card, sample set, or singles diet!

I'll dig out and post my collection one day. This happened to me too because I'm on a chip diet. Just because I'm on a chip diet doesn't mean I'm on a cards, dealer button, cut card, sample set, or singles diet!

Yup, chip diet here too. Luckily I'm still able to buy new Chanman tables while on this diet...

I have only used Copags, but love them.

Here is my uninformed take: most or all reputable plastic card sets will likely be great sets, so choose the design you like the most.

I could be wrong on that, but I’d be surprised.

I have only used Copags, but love them.

Here is my uninformed take: most or all reputable plastic card sets will likely be great sets, so choose the design you like the most.

I could be wrong on that, but I’d be surprised.
You are definitely wrong - each manufacturer has it's pros and cons. Copaq pro is cost effective and easy to find. Their con is they are very very slippery. KEM is buttery smooth and very easy to handle and shuffle. Their cons is very expensive and they warp easily. Fournier has great texture to their cards and are easy to shuffle because of it, their con is availability here in the US. I would recommend you get a set from each manufacturer and find out for yourself what you like and what you don't.

These go perfect together tho. Deck is desjgn 4-color

Attachments

• 5870FE9D-3B1A-4500-AAE9-628B36841648.jpeg
    5870FE9D-3B1A-4500-AAE9-628B36841648.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 158
You are definitely wrong - each manufacturer has it's pros and cons. Copaq pro is cost effective and easy to find. Their con is they are very very slippery. KEM is buttery smooth and very easy to handle and shuffle. Their cons is very expensive and they warp easily. Fournier has great texture to their cards and are easy to shuffle because of it, their con is availability here in the US. I would recommend you get a set from each manufacturer and find out for yourself what you like and what you don't.

I am planning to pick up a set of KEMs, but I’m also not sure your post really dispels mine. Not trying to be argumentative - but simply saying my post perhaps could’ve been better worded.

You listed brands with each of their pros and cons, but that doesn’t speak to the overall quality of each card. While each card set has its own pros and cons, and while I’ve only experienced Copags, I imagine reputable plastic cards are all high quality.

Given they’re all (probably) of relative high quality and will play fine and be nice cards, I’d focus more on the design. That’s a personal preference of mine - a preference for the visual aesthetic over the tactile feel.

The best option: get a set of each!

I am planning to pick up a set of KEMs, but I’m also not sure your post really dispels mine. Not trying to be argumentative - but simply saying my post perhaps could’ve been better worded.

You listed brands with each of their pros and cons, but that doesn’t speak to the overall quality of each card. While each card set has its own pros and cons, and while I’ve only experienced Copags, I imagine reputable plastic cards are all high quality.

Given they’re all (probably) of relative high quality and will play fine and be nice cards, I’d focus more on the design. That’s a personal preference of mine - a preference for the visual aesthetic over the tactile feel.

Amen. Same idea as when picking a set of chips...get samples.

I don't like Copag's and Kem's because they're slippery and floppy. I like textured, stiffer, and thicker stock. That doesn't make one bad or one good. Other people love Copag's and Kem's because they're flexible and easy to shuffle.

There's no universal truth with cards. One person is going to like something different than another.

My experience is that Copags are lower quality than most others -- the ink wears out much faster than on premium priced brands. This is also true to a lesser degree with Bicycle Prestige cards, another lower-priced option.

The really cheap plastic card options -- Royal, etc. -- have quality issues with ink, cutting edge and size irregularities, and corner durability.

Plastic cards vary quite a bit in quality. Copag is on the lower end. I used them until I discovered better alternatives.

I am looking to buy a few new decks of poker cards. Wondering if KEM arrows are worth the extra $$ or if Copags are fine for scattered use. The decks wouldn’t see that heavy of use. I have been using bicycle plastics and looking to grab different decks for variety. Thanks! Or any other brands you would recommend..
Still waiting on desjgn to show up in the mail, but have been playing with Kem, DaVinci, Copeg, Theory 11 for ages and Kem is like Bose vs panasonic... You get what you pay for. Kems are preferred by not just me but universally favorite among every player at my games I've ever asked. I have high hopes for the Desjgn based on PCF feedback but for today, I can recomend Kem over the competition and personally feel like the premium price is well justified.

Totally agree. Even the Texas Modiano Decks are way better than the usual plastics u seen. Platinum is just one of their best. Tried and fell in love w it

Post some pics
Concur, i want to see these warped KEMs. I have a suspicion that if you wash then dry them IAW manufacturers specs they would flatten out while drying, I've watched it happen on a Saturday afternoon on a coffee table. I played the same set of two for ~3 years 2-4 times a week and they were tiptop with proper care. We're talking underway shipboard use, and they held up vs Sailors! Call me a fanboy :p

The ink may be different, but that's about it.

He was talking in terms of feel, shuffle ability, etc... In which cases, they are identical as they're on the exact same stock. Ain't a dime's worth of difference between the card stock used.... & I've tried to find one.

Looks is a whole 'nuther sermon.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom