AA I hate them, and variance can suck my taint (1 Viewer)

That's why I jam or go over the top with AA preflop. At my home game, the fish said I should have played em slow. I basically bought the pot and showed em to establish strength in my raises. They don't know what we see with that bullshit hand.

That's why I jam or go over the top with AA preflop. At my home game, the fish said I should have played em slow. I basically bought the pot and showed em to establish strength in my raises. They don't know what we see with that bullshit hand.
i do too, I hate them.

By the way this thread is brough to you by bourbon, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

Aces are so much easier to deal with in a game where you can get away with playing lots of openers.

When I'm playing 40% of my hands, AA is just another hand. Easier to not get attached. Flop comes shitty, opponent obviously has trip jacks, and I'm out.

Or, better, opponent with trip jacks plays it passively hoping I'll hang myself, and I check back into aces full on the river.

It is frustrating. I got ran down twice last night, once with AA, where I raised to $6 in a .25/.50 game by someone with K4 off. Hit a set of 4's on the river. My post flop bet was $15. It happens, but, the worst part is trying to tune out the reasons behind why they were making that call. I would never condone harming kittens, but, I will say that while I'm staring at them when they're voluntarily explaining why they were calling, I see a bullet explode out the side of their head, then smile while they finish their tale of fiction.

It is frustrating. I got ran down twice last night, once with AA, where I raised to $6 in a .25/.50 game by someone with K4 off. Hit a set of 4's on the river. My post flop bet was $15. It happens, but, the worst part is trying to tune out the reasons behind why they were making that call. I would never condone harming kittens, but, I will say that while I'm staring at them when they're voluntarily explaining why they were calling, I see a bullet explode out the side of their head, then smile while they finish their tale of fiction.
The worst is when they say something stupid like "idk, I was just gambling". So clearly the odds are in your favor but they still happen to take that one.

Play enough and the beats won't bother you. AA is the biggest winning hand
Been playing quite a while, I'm 57, and even though they don't bother me the same way they use to 35 years ago, they still bother me. Especially in the context given above. They don't tilt me, but, crazy play still bothers me. I realize I win far more with them than I don't, when a donk calls a huge raise with K4 off and keeps calling huge all the way way to the river will probably always bother me to some degree.

Just been hitting wrong side of the odds lately, I play aces hard and fast - in all cases I’ve been all in good and have been drawn out on over and over. The only consolation is that I have almost always had myself in correctly. It’s just the recent flurry of being on the losing side, having your money in correctly with tremendous odds and lose repeatedly. What’s worse is in 2 of the biggest suck outs the suck out player has gotten up from the table within a rotation and walked away before I could try and get some back. I’m going to take a break for a bit.

I will try and stay away from Omaha as well, action is fun and I’m very aware that the draws come in many forms and understand that each street brings a whole new possibility. I expect to see draws hit and it doesn’t bother me when they do.

Last edited:
sorry, but two days in a row to lose entire stack with over 88% chanceto win at the river. I hate this fucking game.
Stay away from poker. Take up chess if you want to play a game where the best player always wins.

The longer you play poker, the more likely it is you see the unlikely outcomes sooner or later. Getting Aces cracked twice hardly moves the needle for me having played "serious" hold'em for 20 years now. If it makes you this mad, seriously consider quitting now.

Yes, I agree we want to maximize our profit on all hands, particularly the strongest starting hands, but, don't any of you tell me that you don't get bothered (whatever that means to you) when someone out of position calls large raises and sucks out on you on the river. There's no one here that this doesn't bother, in some way. If you say it doesn't then I'm calling you a lying mf'er. I'm going all in that none of your first feelings and thoughts are "I'm really glad they donked me!"

Stay away from poker. Take up chess if you want to play a game where the best player always wins.

The longer you play poker, the more likely it is you see the unlikely outcomes sooner or later. Getting Aces cracked twice hardly moves the needle for me having played "serious" hold'em for 20 years now. If it makes you this mad, seriously consider quitting now.
Lol

I’ve been playing over 20 years. It was a rant and I said I was taking a break.

We all have bad runs, if you play long enough you’ll unfortunately have a bad spell too.

Thank you so much for the input though. I’ll be sure to keep it in the useless info bin that I so treasure.

I love making new friends!

Last edited:
sorry, but two days in a row to lose entire stack with over 88% chanceto win at the river. I hate this fucking game.
Rant over

Happy thoughts can now commence.

I need to kill a kitten...

Cracked aces happen. Was doing fine in my Thursday league game last week until:
  • I get aces and raise 3x out of position. One caller.
  • Flop is 10 high. I value bet. Get called.
  • The turn is a blank. I check intending to call anything. The villain goes all in for about 1/3 of my remaining stack. I ponder the two-pair/set possibilities and call. She has jacks and is drawing to two outs. YES!
  • River.... jack. CRAP !

I’ve been playing over 20 years.
If you say so, this is just an usually strong reaction to an occurrence you should have faced several times by now.

It was a rant and I said I was taking a break.
Ah, I get it. This is where I went wrong, this wasn't about a back-and-forth, this was about one side speaking without challenge. I get it now, my mistake.

We all have bad runs, if you play long enough you’ll unfortunately have a bad spell too.
We agree on that. I've taken way worse beats than this and moved on.

Thank you so much for the input though. I’ll be sure to keep it in the useless info bin that I so treasure.

I love making new friends!
I apologize, I should have known this was just a meaningless rant. My error.

I'm told that in the long run everything evens out and +EV plays are profitable but apparently no one told Variance that because after 10+ years I still haven't caught up to him. Bastard.

The most often way my AA gets cracked is by KX, especially K10. K10 gets 2 pair and K6 flops KKx (happened to me on Friday night, but I knew it and didn't bet too big). Next time I have AA and KK flops, fuck it I'm just checking.

I wonder if anyone plays so long that variance +/- equals.
I think it depends on what the simulation you’re living in has it dialed to.

Mine is telling me to keep running my company, you aren’t going to make money gambling, this version is not set up for easy gains. Poker is the work of demons.

Sucks, I do enjoy it- but in my newer way of thinking I think it is an evil thing.

I’ll play again someday, but I know it’s an uphill battle with no positive outcome. Brings out the masochist in me I guess.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom