A very plain cpc set (1 Viewer)

Idk, im just playing around with spots and colors in the editor, and it quickly becomes a very stereotypical poker chip design, and im trying to keep it a little fresh and minimal.View attachment 1173190
Trying to keep the colors relatively complemetary at least, so it doesent get too busy or even gaudy.

Have a look at the price list to understand the level system with edge spots. You can design a nice old fashioned set within the bounds of level 1 edge spots only.

Try to avoid using the same base colour (of any shade) within 3 denomination levels up or down so they are unlikely to cross play creating a dirty stack scenario. My sloth clubs are all old fashioned with lvl 1 spots except my quarter is solid using the brass flakes formula. They like so old fashioned I love them. My only issue was that my $10 chip being dark blue is a potential dirty stack with my light blue $1. I have not had a real issue with them though the 10's have only seen play once. I used $25 other times in paranoia lol.

I think if you're going to spend the money, do it right. You said you have some chips, what do you like about those?

It seems the strongest voice isn't against chips without spots, it's against chips without values on them as it makes it harder to play. (I did it for years, and it worked.... but there were ALWAYS issues, which is why I got sick of the hassle and went custom. I'd just hate for you to get frustrated with a custom set down the line.)

You indicated you don't like the traditional colors and seem to indicate that too many colors is a bit off. Totally fair. There are lovely solid sets. Have you seen the monotone chips here (e.g., light blue with dark blue spots)?

As someone who arrived on this forum also seeking simplicity, I personally have something against denominations on chips and excessive edge spots as well. I also like starbursts a lot.

I've definitely resigned myself to getting denominational chips even though people at my games won't be drunk and I give em credit for remembering the pot size much less the denominations of chips. They have also grown on me. There's something that feels "premium" about denominations on chips (mostly the marked distinction from dice chips) that I believe adds value to a (new) game that overrides my desire for a simplistic design.

Haven't actually bought anything yet though so who knows!

How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again?
I get this question from the same two people every game. No amount of "read the fucking chip" has changed that.

Since they dont have inlays the denoms could be anything, but i think i'll use them as 1, 5, 20, 100
b50370c67f8fc03b933d235ec9fa8e01.jpg

I think there can be a lot of value in the flexibility of having one non-denominated chip in a set. But agree with the others that having no denominations at all is a recipe for problems with players keeping track. I am not sure what your background in chipping is, but I would spend some more time looking around at what’s out there. You’re coming across as almost hyperbolic to me with the idea of the best minimalism being nothing.

Give these a spin: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/attachments/img_5337-jpg.915104/

Also, paging @MrCatPants ….
I can only be summoned by the person whose set is up for judging. I'm just mean otherwise.

I think if you're going to spend the money, do it right. You said you have some chips, what do you like about those?

It seems the strongest voice isn't against chips without spots, it's against chips without values on them as it makes it harder to play. (I did it for years, and it worked.... but there were ALWAYS issues, which is why I got sick of the hassle and went custom. I'd just hate for you to get frustrated with a custom set down the line.)

You indicated you don't like the traditional colors and seem to indicate that too many colors is a bit off. Totally fair. There are lovely solid sets. Have you seen the monotone chips here (e.g., light blue with dark blue spots)?
Might be confusing but i like the simple design of the big easy chips. They have the portrait and a minimal denomination. Smaller numbers often look better in my eyes, but then you have a bunch of space left on the inlay to fill. I think the big easy chip fills the space nicely, but i dont think i would do the same if i were to make one myself. I guess some geometric pattern might work, idk, i'll have to do some drawing

If you're going CPC you should have a good custom theme. Take your time to develop it. You can always go with minimal hot stamps with your initials or inlays with "yourname's poker room" but those aren't very meaningful. I considered/tried both of those but wasn't satisfied. Finally I figure out a meaningful theme for my game.

As others have said, 2 similar colors don't work well, you need contrast.

If you're going CPC you should have a good custom theme. Take your time to develop it. You can always go with minimal hot stamps with your initials or inlays with "yourname's poker room" but those aren't very meaningful. I considered/tried both of those but wasn't satisfied. Finally I figure out a meaningful theme for my game.

As others have said, 2 similar colors don't work well, you need contrast.
The theme is basically scandinavian minimalism. That could be grey tones, but it doesent have to be, but thats the context where the chips are used.

I can get behind the non-traditional colors. I'm not a fan of non-traditional colors in poker chips, but I use unusual colors in spreadsheets for ranking values so I understand where you are coming from.

As far as denominations go, buying non-denominated chips was the worst chipping advice I had ever gotten (from a different, now defunct website). His advice was "you don't know what a dollar will be worth in 10 years, or 20 years. It made sense. Chips are expensive, and while back then I was playing 5¢-10¢, nickles would be worthless if I had more expendable income someday.

It was terrible advice. That set comes out only once a year now, because they were "expensive". Despite the colors being standard, I get "how much are these worth" questions.

Limit sets with only 1-2 chips, yes, you can do non-denominated with little issue.

But if you are still thinking minimalist, a smaller denom on the bottom or bottom right may convey the "blank space" concept without the "I spent $1 per chip on something that looks like I spent 25¢/chip".

You could also do dots or hash-marks, similar to the Barts Bowl-O-Rama denominations:
1690991218974.png

Last edited:
Get a set of Starbursts if you're going to do this.
I second this.

IMHO:
1) Cheaper
2) Maintains the solid denom-less concept
3) Huge color selection
4) Can test how your group fares denom-less
5) Easier to re-sell if things don’t work out

I love my Starburst set. I love that they’re non-denom. I don’t have issues with people remembering denoms (note: I use standard Vegas colors, 2-3max per game, which helps).

But I’d never suggest creating a custom non-denom set. It just doesn’t make sense to me given the above points!

Ok, how about this wild idea. No denom on the 1, and a minimal inlay with denom on the rest. The madness goes on

The theme is basically scandinavian minimalism. That could be grey tones, but it doesent have to be, but thats the context where the chips are used.
That's a VERY subtle theme - all I will see are blank poker chips :(

Im thinking of making myself a set of CPC chips, but i like a minimalistic style, so im thinking of doing something like the image below, any inputs? Maybe anyone has made anything similar and has pics?View attachment 1173139
Since they dont have inlays the denoms could be anything, but i think i'll use them as 1, 5, 20, 100
If you like solids and are OK with used chips, this set is perfect. And it will save you about 75% of the cost of a new CPC set.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/600-x-trk-used-solids.108515/

But don't buy it please. I'm still thinking of getting it myself! ;)

Final thought on this thread: feel free to choose your own colors, inlays, edge spots, etc, for your custom (or other) poker set.

But, ignore the collective knowledge of this forum in general and specifically about similar colors, mixed stacks, past experiences with denominations in live games, etc., at your peril.

When I created my cash and tournament sets I used some atypical colors, which is what I wanted and I care naught for convention, but I listened keenly to the practical aspects of denominations getting mixed because of similar colors, as well as other people’s design process.

Im not saying you are doing this, but I would really consider carefully all the information you’re receiving. It will very likely save you from making a multi-thousand dollar error that you are constantly reminded of every time you play with your set.

Good luck!

Just posting some inspo I found in a book I was flipping through.

15C90ED9-BB1B-4334-ABBA-EB801234CAD3.jpeg

Looks fun but no idea how they play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom