A very plain cpc set (1 Viewer)

ravs

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Im thinking of making myself a set of CPC chips, but i like a minimalistic style, so im thinking of doing something like the image below, any inputs? Maybe anyone has made anything similar and has pics?
298dfd08-7f7f-4d3c-886c-0eb868a4a97b.png

Since they dont have inlays the denoms could be anything, but i think i'll use them as 1, 5, 20, 100

Have you read this recent discussion about non-denominated chips?

A unique aspect of proper clay chips is that a printed decal is actually compressed into the chip, becoming an inlay. Yes it costs more, but since you want custom chips it would be a shame to not go for the full experience IMO, as even solid blanks aren't exactly cheap.

Absolutely agree with others that the colors need work, I would try to get a wider coverage of the color wheel. Personally I'm not a fan of a single spotted high denom either.

I dont feel very attached to traditional colors, and im not sure i want a red chip. I think the blues are far enough apart in brightness to be safe. Youre not dirtying up any stacks at least.

Maybe it could be a brown 5? It could both conflict with the yellow and the black imo
a43d4e24-1e5c-40d8-8e74-08b30e88ed1c.png

If you don't like the traditional colors, a minimalist hotstamp could help your players understand the denomination, something like the bottom row. [Source]

1690974192210.png

Edge spots are helpful for reading the stack height. Maybe have them be low contrast so you can barely tell they're there at a glance?

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 1.08.23 AM.png

Definitely second the recommendations for a color sample.

I dont feel very attached to traditional colors, and im not sure i want a red chip. I think the blues are far enough apart in brightness to be safe. Youre not dirtying up any stacks at least.

Maybe it could be a brown 5? It could both conflict with the yellow and the black imo View attachment 1173171
Do you have a sample set to compare actual colors? If not, get one before getting more serious about your order. You will not be disappointed.

Idk, im just playing around with spots and colors in the editor, and it quickly becomes a very stereotypical poker chip design, and im trying to keep it a little fresh and minimal.
ec8a213a-9e37-4feb-bd9c-fc1e9a61ccb5.png

Trying to keep the colors relatively complemetary at least, so it doesent get too busy or even gaudy.

I have a full cpc color sample
If you have the plain or hotstamp color samples, I think you have a pretty good idea of how the combinations will look. I don't have a color sample, are black and dark blue easily distinguishable?

If you're willing to give up some functionality, you don't need currency markings or spot patterns. The nice thing is your chip price will be 1/2 or 1/3 of normal order chip prices.

not sure i want a red chip
You're not alone my brother, ban red chips!!!

Okay, so I value my friends when they point out I'm being unreasonable...

Listen here Mr. Diva, the quintessential thing about poker chips, is they all look like poker chips, those inserts get you closer to dice chips, do NOT go black and white after complaining about a red chip and not wanting basic looking poker chips!

Also you can't do two blues, you can do two drugs, but not two blues back to back

How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again? How much is this one worth again?

If you are making a set without denominations printed on them, this will only be the tip of the iceberg.

If you have the plain or hotstamp color samples, I think you have a pretty good idea of how the combinations will look. I don't have a color sample, are black and dark blue easily distinguishable?

If you're willing to give up some functionality, you don't need currency markings or spot patterns. The nice thing is your chip price will be 1/2 or 1/3 of normal order chip prices.
I might need to try with some cheaper chips, but i feel like people can keep track of the denominations without it being written. If it doesent need written denoms i dont really see the need to write anything at all. The solid color plain mold chip has a very clean aesthetic in my eye, and with some tasty color picks across the denoms the stacks could look pretty cool.

I might need to try with some cheaper chips, but i feel like people can keep track of the denominations without it being written. If it doesent need written denoms i dont really see the need to write anything at all. The solid color plain mold chip has a very clean aesthetic in my eye, and with some tasty color picks across the denoms the stacks could look pretty cool.
I wish that were true.

My first set was non-denominated, and in traditional colors. I had index cards on the table with the denomes, and the 54" monitor in the room had the denoms on it.

Don't overestimate people - especially people drinking alcohol.

Yeah cheapest way to do this is buy some dice chips and host a game with them. If everyone gets it, you're probably good to go. (Though this doesn't really consider new players.)

I'm starting to warm up to the idea. Want to see this. Where did light blue / dark blue / yellow / black come from? It's not usually the first color combination I think of, am having trouble figuring out what theme it evokes.

You're not alone my brother, ban red chips!!!

Okay, so I value my friends when they point out I'm being unreasonable...

Listen here Mr. Diva, the quintessential thing about poker chips, is they all look like poker chips, those inserts get you closer to dice chips, do NOT go black and white after complaining about a red chip and not wanting basic looking poker chips!

Also you can't do two blues, you can do two drugs, but not two blues back to back
You might be right about black and white. Solid black might work ok, but i could go another accent or another color completely.

Yeah cheapest way to do this is buy some dice chips and host a game with them. If everyone gets it, you're probably good to go. (Though this doesn't really consider new players.)

I'm starting to warm up to the idea. Want to see this. Where did light blue / dark blue / yellow / black come from? It's not usually the first color combination I think of, am having trouble figuring out what theme it evokes.
Light blue because its pleasing to the eye was the start, dark blue because it looks like a more expensive light blue. Once you get to the 20 things are getting expensive, so im going with a contrasting, but complementary color in a middle value, also thats the yellowy tone i like the best. I havent fully decided on a black 100, but it feels expensive and has a very high contrast to the other picks because none are too dark. If i was to go higher than 100 i would need spots i think to make them seem intuitively more valuable.

Basically i just picked the next color by picking out what would "feel" more valuable, while keeping things as cohesive as i could

Light blue because its pleasing to the eye was the start, dark blue because it looks like a more expensive light blue. Once you get to the 20 things are getting expensive, so im going with a contrasting, but complementary color in a middle value, also thats the yellowy tone i like the best. I havent fully decided on a black 100, but it feels expensive and has a very high contrast to the other picks because none are too dark. If i was to go higher than 100 i would need spots i think to make them seem intuitively more valuable.
When you explain it, the scheme makes sense, but I wonder if something simpler (one rule across the whole set) will be easier to understand. Something like "the darker, the more expensive" or "the closer to the edge of the rainbow, the more expensive". All the colors you picked should still fit in this scheme.

You don't necessarily need spots if you can get larger chips.

I think there can be a lot of value in the flexibility of having one non-denominated chip in a set. But agree with the others that having no denominations at all is a recipe for problems with players keeping track. I am not sure what your background in chipping is, but I would spend some more time looking around at what’s out there. You’re coming across as almost hyperbolic to me with the idea of the best minimalism being nothing.

Give these a spin: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/attachments/img_5337-jpg.915104/

Also, paging @MrCatPants ….

I think there can be a lot of value in the flexibility of having one non-denominated chip in a set. But agree with the others that having no denominations at all is a recipe for problems with players keeping track. I am not sure what your background in chipping is, but I would spend some more time looking around at what’s out there. You’re coming across as almost hyperbolic to me with the idea of the best minimalism being nothing.

Give these a spin: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/attachments/img_5337-jpg.915104/

Also, paging @MrCatPants ….
Just had a look at them, and im not a fan. The colors are a bit too saturated for what im looking for, and the numbers a bit too art deco.

I might be hyperbolic on the minimalism, but im also not satisfied with just going few colors. A lot of the aesthetic comes from carefully picking the colors in relation to each other. I dont mind having spots that much, but it has to be done carefully. The single spot gets a bit of asymetry, which is interesting.

The traditional colors are especially gaudy in my eyes, it gets a bit tutti frutti with the scattershot colors.

I dont have a problem with you guys not liking my preferences either, its still good input, but i also know what i like so if i eventually get to ordering a set the final say lies here. Gives you some horror photos to scare people with in the future eh?

Yes, a custom poker set is for you BUT you don’t play poker by yourself. Making a set that only you like and want to play with and ignoring the other players will likely result in some lonely game nights…

Yes, a custom poker set is for you BUT you don’t play poker by yourself. Making a set that only you like and want to play with and ignoring the other players will likely result in some lonely game nights…
You think i'll be left alone because my chips are too difficult? Thats a pretty dire forecast.

Just so it's said, i like many different chips. I have a decently large set of the big easy chips allforcharity was selling, and i love those. I just have this idea of something completely different.

I've mocked up many fantasy sets, dreaming about the day I can afford a custom set. Over the years, my tastes have changed so much. I currently have a 300 set of CPC chips--no inlay or hot stamp--of the dark brown and dark blue because at one point, I loved those two colors together. I don't know what your timeline is, but I would say to give it a little time and see if you continue to like your color combo. For me, I love so many of the colors, it would be hard to use two blues in one set or both the dark blue and black. But I've seen many custom sets here using color combinations I would have never thought of, and they work. The other caveat I would add is that I agree with FestiveKnight about players getting confused. I agree with you that it's your set and your investment, so it should be what you find most attractive. But I have found that sometimes the simplest things can trip up other players, and ultimately you want to put your chips in play.

You might be right about black and white. Solid black might work ok, but i could go another accent or another color completely.
Click through the links in my sig, about to board a plane but there is a new members link and my cpc set, start with base colors and progress from there, also start with a Cali set, your looking for contrast - light blue and peacock tons of contrast but peacock and dg yellow has even more contrast. Typically inserts is how you make a chip more complex and significantly says I’m a higher value.

Also your response to Darson is a bit of a straw man, he’s not saying ppl won’t play he is saying you want others to enjoy and appreciate your set. Call me what you will there are reasons I don’t attend some games, among those are shit chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom