A hand against Johnny C in $25/$50 NLHE (1 Viewer)

The meta runs deep here.

He knows that you know that he knows that you're repping overpair and he still shoves. Or does he include Ax in your range?. He doesn't do this dead but has at least pair + draw, overcard + pair, combo draw, maybe even draws with overs.
Hands that have you beat now are straights (mostly) without FD, two pairs, sets and the occasional tricky overpair.

Your 2/3 pot bet polarizes V's possible future actions down to all in/fold. If he has a draw and hits, he likely won't get paid (much) and he has almost a potsized raise here so you get about 2:1 which means you should fold your bottom 2/3 of your range.

This is why I oppose betting big on either street. You're basically punting in 200bb on an overpair and I doubt it's profitable in the long run.
I'm afraid the mistake on turn costs you money, no matter what you do now. Anyways, it's draw heavy board and there are more cards drawing than have you crushed so you kind of have to call here the way you played. He could still have you on overplayed Ax but I doubt it.

don’t hate a fold because of the :jc: and even :js: isn’t great, you’d prefer to unblock backdoor.

But also it’s a good hand and maybe all JJ call here even the worst one. Could be an overbluffed spot.

My best guess at counting combos
Value
3x 88, 2x 98s at 50% freq, 3x trapped 99 at 67% freq, 3x 55 that called pre at 33% freq
7 value combos and you have 5% equity
Didn’t give him any 67s or 22 OOP v 3!

Bluffers
JTdd, A4cc, A3cc, AQcc, ATcc, KQcc, A5cc all at 75% freq.
5.75 combos and you have 80% equity

Rough math equity v range is 35%ish which is right around the odds you’re getting.

I don't think you can eliminate those when you're almost 250bb deep.
My thinking was 6x open so plays more like 150bb deep and in addition to being a spicy pre line both like to check raise flop a lot

Agree with the prior comment about two streets of value. Was too slow, but wasn't sure whether it was a check back on turn and go for value on river type of hand.

There's more bluffs and semi bluffs here that make this move for value than value hands, and several of those value hands you still have a couple outs against. I lean call.

Call

We're likely ahead and it's less than a pot sized bet.

Only way we don't call is if our read is that JC is a nit and I don't think that's the case.

My thinking was 6x open so plays more like 150bb deep and in addition to being a spicy pre line both like to check raise flop a lot
Fair enough. I wouldn't think it happens often but it would certainly throw off the opponents when he feels creative which I guess the old school does more than the GTO heads.

It’s significant that V is Johnny F’in Chan and Hero is known to have deep pockets and has made numerous aggressive bluffs in multiple televised games recently. Which is why I assume JC is expecting Hero to call here given the odds provided. Hence why I think Hero should fold.

Don't fall for it!! Don't be Eric Seidel.

He's the master! He's Johnny f@cking Chan!

Screenshot_20230814_155049_Chrome.jpg

I feel like he had 67, 78, 89, or 9T. Turned straight we’re dead. Pair of 8s or 9s effective we win. He has 2 pair we can river a higher two pair. I’m sticking it in.

Conclusion:

$25/$50 game at the Bike last night. Playing a bit more like $50/$100.

4 hours into the game, hero has bought in for $2k, is sitting at $18k, sunrunning.

V is Johnny Chan, in for $5k, sitting at $11k or so. We are 9-handed.

Hero has :jc: :js: in the CO.

V is UTG+2. Opens for $300.

Folds to hero.

Hero decides on a standard 3-bet here. Raises to $1000.

Action folds to villain.
He calls.
Pot is now $2075.

Flop is

:9s::5d::2c:

Villain checks.

So far, this is all pretty standard for an C-bet, and the flop seems well in our favor. We opt for a pretty standard C-bet size, and bet out $900. We want to fold out some of his range, but keep him in the hunt where we have an EV advantage.

Villain thinks for a bit (he acts slowly in general, no matter what the move) and calls.

Turn is :8c:

Villain checks.

Pot is now $3875.

This card is not the worst, but it does start to fill out some of V's expected range. AXc now has a flush draw, 8s have filled out, 67s has hit its gutter, etc. That said, we're still ahead most of the time with our Js, and given the lack of a 4-bet, we're discounting Qs, Ks and Aces. We decide to barrel again.

Hero bets $2600.

Villain tanks. We're trying to avoid eye contact by staring at the loose chip stack in the middle of the table, and while the pot itself isn't HUGE, this is J fucking C, and he has the same initials as Jesus, and is one letter advanced from James Bond and Jason Bourne, and we are nervous, ffs.

In fact, he tanks for so long that we eventually look up at him, and we find him staring at us. Steel, pure damn steel.

He then pushes a stack of chips forward, and says "All in."

We ask the dealer to pull in the $2600, and get a count of what's left.
Dealer announces that it's $7475.

We are extremely miffed by this bet. Now, not only do we have to deal with the fact that Johnny effing Chan has us in a pressure cooker, but we have to consider that our read is wrong.

What could he be shoving with? What does he think we have that would make us call? Surely he can tell we have an overpair. Which means he really wants us to call, if he has 8s, 9s, or other hidden hands like 89s.

Or, could he have a combo draw? We’re a bit too nervous to think clearly. But something must be done, everyone is staring.

In the end, we decide a call is best because we’re most likely still ahead. We settle on him having a flush draw or combo draw — like AXc, 9c7c, etc.

We call, and ask how many times he wants to run it.

He says “once”.

River is :6s:

He turns over :ac::9c:. He missed!

We sunran that night, till 11am the next morning. We felted 5 of the 8 other players, including the villain twice.

In for $2000. Out for $114,000.

IMG_7002.jpeg

All I was thinking was I couldn't live with my self if he rolled over a bluff because it's JC.

Conclusion:

$25/$50 game at the Bike last night. Playing a bit more like $50/$100.

4 hours into the game, hero has bought in for $2k, is sitting at $18k, sunrunning.

V is Johnny Chan, in for $5k, sitting at $11k or so. We are 9-handed.

Hero has :jc: :js: in the CO.

V is UTG+2. Opens for $300.

Folds to hero.

Hero decides on a standard 3-bet here. Raises to $1000.

Action folds to villain.
He calls.
Pot is now $2075.

Flop is

:9s::5d::2c:

Villain checks.

So far, this is all pretty standard for an C-bet, and the flop seems well in our favor. We opt for a pretty standard C-bet size, and bet out $900. We want to fold out some of his range, but keep him in the hunt where we have an EV advantage.

Villain thinks for a bit (he acts slowly in general, no matter what the move) and calls.

Turn is :8c:

Villain checks.

Pot is now $3875.

This card is not the worst, but it does start to fill out some of V's expected range. AXc now has a flush draw, 8s have filled out, 67s has hit its gutter, etc. That said, we're still ahead most of the time with our Js, and given the lack of a 4-bet, we're discounting Qs, Ks and Aces. We decide to barrel again.

Hero bets $2600.

Villain tanks. We're trying to avoid eye contact by staring at the loose chip stack in the middle of the table, and while the pot itself isn't HUGE, this is J fucking C, and he has the same initials as Jesus, and is one letter advanced from James Bond and Jason Bourne, and we are nervous, ffs.

In fact, he tanks for so long that we eventually look up at him, and we find him staring at us. Steel, pure damn steel.

He then pushes a stack of chips forward, and says "All in."

We ask the dealer to pull in the $2600, and get a count of what's left.
Dealer announces that it's $7475.

We are extremely miffed by this bet. Now, not only do we have to deal with the fact that Johnny effing Chan has us in a pressure cooker, but we have to consider that our read is wrong.

What could he be shoving with? What does he think we have that would make us call? Surely he can tell we have an overpair. Which means he really wants us to call, if he has 8s, 9s, or other hidden hands like 89s.

Or, could he have a combo draw? We’re a bit too nervous to think clearly. But something must be done, everyone is staring.

In the end, we decide a call is best because we’re most likely still ahead. We settle on him having a flush draw or combo draw — like AXc, 9c7c, etc.

We call, and ask how many times he wants to run it.

He says “once”.

River is :6s:

He turns over :ac::9c:. He missed!

We sunran that night, till 11am the next morning. We felted 5 of the 8 other players, including the villain twice.

In for $2000. Out for $114,000.

View attachment 1179950

Now you can finally get a new T-shirt! ;)

Great score bro, may your run good continue.

Easy to be results oriented here, but I think we gotta look at the bigger picture. When he ships a9cc against your perceived-overpaid range, he's not merging (especially because a9cc makes an AMAZING call -- call if he thinks you can have air every once in a while, as he has your bluffs drawing dead and might beat a single combo of t9 or something.) He's shipping it because he reads you as having nothing but overpairs and maybe ak here, and he has the single best bluffing combination against that range: it blocks AA, blocks 99, AND has equity when called! (and he probably thinks hes always behind ott.)

Don't know anything about this player, but if your range is really overpairs/AK and the guy is a somewhat thinking player, then JJ just has to go into the muck (especially blocking AJcc.) If you think the guy is bluffing more than 1/4 of the time here, then sure you can snap it off, but I think its hard to find more than just ajcc atcc (and apparently a9cc) and maybe tjxx because aqcc and ak+ are likely to be 4bet by him. 99 88 98 67 55 gets you to like 14 combos, he has 2+4=6 bluffs, but his bluffs have around 20% equity each against you so its more like he has 14.2 combos of value and 4.8 bluffs. You have 25.2% here, which means you really just go purely based on reads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom