43mm Project Discussion (9 Viewers)

3C51D9CF-217C-47BF-9452-B7C10279F1F7.jpeg
They arrived yesterday afternoon can’t wait to show friends and have a game thank you once again Apache poker !!!!!

Chips arrived today! They look great!

Going to shuffle for a while then debate adding a touch of oil or not.

@Apache, it seems as if you knocked this one out of the park! Some reviews claim "best CC ever"! Is there any plan on making a 39mm version? The first version of the boardgame chips had the same mold, but now that they are getting traintracks instead of crowns, would it make sense to offer a Royal 39mm version?

I, for one, would love to have a set of these quality CCs in 39 with the big denoms in 43 :)

My blank chips arrived today, and they're looking fantastic! I've only closely examined the Orange, but I thought I'd share some technical observations:

The overall chip thickness has a very narrow range (from chip to chip) of 0.129" to 0.135". With a variance of only 0.006", you'd have to stack a lot of chips before you began to notice any meaningful difference in the heights of stacks.

One side of the chips has, for lack of a better term, an ejector scar - a round outline in the middle of the label area that resembles ejector marks often seen on injection molded parts. That ejector mark is a handy way to differentiate the two sides of the chip, because I noticed that the entire label area is *deeper* on the ejector side than it is on the plain side. The average depth of the label area on the ejector side (not including the ejector mark itself) is 0.018". And the average depth of the label area on the plain side is 0.012". This means that any label used would need to be thinner than 0.012" to fully recede down below the rim of the chip. Otherwise the label would extend above the rim of the chip, and then the chip would not sit flat on a hard surface, or might spin on the label, or would subject the label to excessive wear, etc...

The label area is about 1.093" in diameter, so I'm guessing everybody is going to go with the 1-1/16" diameter labels, as Apache had said.

I have samples of Gear's labels, but I don't have them with me right now. But I'll be taking measurements of the thickness of Gear's labels, to see what stocks might work best. I'll also break out my scale and see how these are doing for weight. So - more news as it happens.

But regardless of all this technical nonsense - these are some fine looking chips. The quality of the edges and edge spots is terrific!

- Empty Light

Attachments

• 20190816_110334.jpg
    20190816_110334.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,925
My blank chips arrived today, and they're looking fantastic! I've only closely examined the Orange, but I thought I'd share some technical observations:

The overall chip thickness has a very narrow range (from chip to chip) of 0.129" to 0.135". With a variance of only 0.006", you'd have to stack a lot of chips before you began to notice any meaningful difference in the heights of stacks.

One side of the chips has, for lack of a better term, an ejector scar - a round outline in the middle of the label area that resembles ejector marks often seen on injection molded parts. That ejector mark is a handy way to differentiate the two sides of the chip, because I noticed that the entire label area is *deeper* on the ejector side than it is on the plain side. The average depth of the label area on the ejector side (not including the ejector mark itself) is 0.018". And the average depth of the label area on the plain side is 0.012". This means that any label used would need to be thinner than 0.012" to fully recede down below the rim of the chip. Otherwise the label would extend above the rim of the chip, and then the chip would not sit flat on a hard surface, or might spin on the label, or would subject the label to excessive wear, etc...

The label area is about 1.093" in diameter, so I'm guessing everybody is going to go with the 1-1/16" diameter labels, as Apache had said.

I have samples of Gear's labels, but I don't have them with me right now. But I'll be taking measurements of the thickness of Gear's labels, to see what stocks might work best. I'll also break out my scale and see how these are doing for weight. So - more news as it happens.

But regardless of all this technical nonsense - these are some fine looking chips. The quality of the edges and edge spots is terrific!

- Empty Light

Thanks for this. I love "sciencing the sht out of stuff" haha. Post some PrOn in this thread: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-official-royals-pron-thread.45292/

Define high roller. I have breakdowns and blind schedules for almost anything.

One if the simplest single-table high denom sets is a 400-chip T500-base set: 100 each x T500, T1000, T5000, and T25000. T300K starting stacks of 10/10/7/10, and the extra T5000 chips color-up the T500/T1000 with perfect efficiency. Double the chips for two tables, triple for three, etc.

Also easy to tack on extra denoms to a standard T25-base set to have the high-denom option.

Real quick question. What's a good blind structure for a 12 level heads up tourney? 300k starting stacks, 20 minute levels. T500.

500/1000 then what?

- Empty Light
I've gone through my label samples from @Gear. I checked the thickness with my micrometer (vernier calipers, really):

Matte Vinyl Unlaminated: 0.0045" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Smooth Laminate: 0.009" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Matte Laminate: 0.008" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Thick Laminate: 0.0135" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Textured Laminate: 0.010" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Glossy Laminate: 0.009" Thick

These are thicknesses of stock that @Gear is currently shipping - there's always the chance that these measurements could change in the future. But as it is right now, the Glossy Vinyl Thick Laminate, at 0.0135", is too thick for these chips. When placed on a hard flat surface, the face of the label will rub against the table. And the thickness may prevent the chips from stacking properly. But all of the other @Gear labels stocks should work great!

- Empty Light.

I've gone through my label samples from @Gear. I checked the thickness with my micrometer (vernier calipers, really):

Matte Vinyl Unlaminated: 0.0045" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Smooth Laminate: 0.009" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Matte Laminate: 0.008" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Thick Laminate: 0.0135" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Textured Laminate: 0.010" Thick
Glossy Vinyl Glossy Laminate: 0.009" Thick

These are thicknesses of stock that @Gear is currently shipping - there's always the chance that these measurements could change in the future. But as it is right now, the Glossy Vinyl Thick Laminate, at 0.0135", is too thick for these chips. When placed on a hard flat surface, the face of the label will rub against the table. And the thickness may prevent the chips from stacking properly. But all of the other @Gear labels stocks should work great!

- Empty Light.
The chips seem to average around 10.5 to 10.9 grams, except for the black chips, which are an even 10g.
20190816_194043.jpg
20190816_194043.jpg
20190816_194007.jpg
20190816_193904.jpg
20190816_193657.jpg
20190816_193539.jpg
20190816_193301.jpg
20190816_193207.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom