Xbox one s or PlayStation 4 (1 Viewer)

celticnoel

Two Pair
Reaction score
So as the title suggests I'm in two minds which console to choose? I'm not a massive gamer so before anyone suggests it I'm not interested in the Xbox one X. Really I'll be buying to play Fifa 19 primarily. Maybe a few other titles, cheers

I'm in the Xbox camp. No reason why, it's just what the kids play.

Ps4 all day every day. Exclusives are much better. When I was looking for mine on OfferUp there was a good handful of people trying to trade their Xbox for a PS4...

I owned an original PS4 and Xbox One.
I now own a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

I like the Xbox controller much better.
There are more PlayStation exclusives that I like.

For a casual gamer mostly playing FIFA I don't see a strong reason to pick one console over the other.

Maybe you like one controller better....or maybe you have friends you'll want to play with that are on a certain console?

As @choice said, for a casual gamer get the system your friends have so you can play with them.

I used to play video games much more before kids and had both but preffered the Xbox because of friends on it and I like the controller more.

I'd say Xbox one IF you're going to take advantage of the 4K aspect. That and I am NOT a fan of anything Sony. My brother in-law used to be their head IT guy for Western Europe and he has less than good things to say about the company and its products. So call me biased..:D

I must admit I was always swaying in favour of Xbox one s as the last console I owned was Xbox 360 and I also prefer their controller, so Microsoft wins! Cheers guys

I wish I knew how to create a poll, oil or don't oil that is the question!!!!

I wish I knew how to create a poll, oil or don't oil that is the question!!!!
Oops wrong chat, doh

PS4 Pro. I think it's the little details that separate it from the Xbox one of which being the light bar on the controller. It makes some games more interactive. In GTA V when the cops are after the light flashes red and blue. In other games its used as a health status and will go from green to orange to red depending on your health level.

There's also a little speaker on the controller that some games utilize to make the experience more immersive.

PS also has the VR if that's something you may be interested in.

Also if you decide to expand your gaming, I feel like there are more people with PS4 (out of my circle of friends anyways) so playing online would be a lot better with the majority of people having PS4 - can’t play with/against them, if they all have PS4 and you have xbox. (Every circle is different though, just speaking from my experience)

I'm an Xbox fanboi and have been since the OG Xbox, so my answer is obvious. I'm also with @Quicksilver-75 in the "Sony sucks" camp because of their business practices - it's a company that I avoid whenever possible. I like the fact that for under $50 per year, I get a ton of free games with XBL Gold and can share them with my family (as well as the ability to play online).

I'll admit that Sony does much better in the exclusives area, and I've missed a few games that I really would have loved to play (Last of Us and Spider-Man are two that jump to mind). But due to my limited playing time, I've got such a huge queue of good games waiting for me that it's not that much of a loss IMO.

I will spend the rest of my life telling people to play Bloodborne. It's just so good

Ive always had both because of exclusives for each console. If playing online xbox is far better. PS online used to be free and was way lower quality than xbox. Now you have to pay for PS online and it isnt any better.

Ive always had both because of exclusives for each console. If playing online xbox is far better. PS online used to be free and was way lower quality than xbox. Now you have to pay for PS online and it isnt any better.

What dont you like about PS online? I've always been on XBL...PS4 was my first time playing on the PSN, but I've never had any problems with chat, parties, matchmaking, etc.

I actually prefer the PlayStation UI...as simple as it is.
The Xbox UI seems so convoluted and difficult to naviagte.

Console specifics aside, I'll always agree with "what do you friends have?" More and more, multiplayer console games have moved away from "everyone in the same room" (think "Goldeneye" or "Mario Party") to online multiplayer. If you're the only one in your group who is using the specific console, you're stuck playing by yourself or with strangers.

If that doesn't matter, and it's purely a games choice, the PS4 does have a few options that Xbox doesn't offer at the moment (VR, PS TV). Both require pay-to-play online, and both give free games to subscribers... Not sure if this is offered by Xbox, but PS does have an option where you can play a library of streaming games (at a fee) and, if a friend owns a game that you don't, you can play that game remotely if your friend gives you access. (That last option is great for games you want to try before buying.)

For your expressed needs, go with PS4. More AAA exclusives and I prefer their controller. Just don’t save any payment info on it and you should be ok.

Been invested in the xbox since the first launch but always have multiple consoles on hand for exclusives and to be connected to all my friends regardless of what they’re playing. Have always prefered multiplayer on xbox.

Have since sold my PS4 and just borrowed my brother in law’s to play God of War and SpiderMan. My needs and wants have changed and lean towards enjoying game streams and indie, niche games. And my drive is packed with free Live games and back catalog that there’s always something I can do. Wasn’t the case on PS. YMMV

Also, buy a Switch too!!

pc.gif

Every time a both companies release new consoles I research the hell out of them as I absolutely hate buyers remorse and always want to make sure I made the best choice.

That said I have always bought Play Stations. If you do your research and add up pros and cons PS always wins. Be it from a technology or software standpoint. Xbox usually makes some improvements only to be passed by PS4 again. Xbox always seems to be chasing

Final word of advice- a poker chip forum is probably not the best place you should be asking this question. Get on google and do some research.(y) :thumbsup:

Over the generations, my gaming systems of choice have gone PS, PS2, Xbox 360, and now PS4.

Why the switch back to PS? Because my 360 consoles—all four (five?) of them—repeatedly broke down due to unexplained reasons. I'm almost embarrassed I stuck with Xbox at all, but I had a large game collection and wasn't about to liquidate it for pennies on the dollar to switch to PS.

Trying to get Microsoft to honor the quality of their product was like trying to nail a bucket of water to the wall, and their customer service reps were just awful to deal with. So many frustrating phone calls and so much wasted time, and it was like those damn things had a doomswitch in them that flipped immediately after the warranty date passed.

One time, I did end up getting an executive (a real one, not a pubescent "customer account executive") via email after some extreme persistence, and he agreed to get me a free refurb in exchange for the broken one. They sent the refurb, and I sent the broken machine, and all was well for a few weeks, until I noticed on my credit card statement that they had charged me like $200 for the refurb.

Why? Because they were claiming the machine I sent back—which I'd owned since it was NIB—had been tampered with. I ended up receiving it back via UPS shortly afterward, and when I tried to turn it on, it was even more broken than before. Originally, it just wouldn't read discs. When it came back to me, it wouldn't even turn on. No one could give me a straight answer about how it had been tampered with, and I knew for a fact I hadn't done anything to it. It took even more phone calls and emails to get someone to refund the $200 they'd charged me and take the broken machine back.

So, yeah, PS this time around, because FFS, life is way too short to deal with that kind of nonsense again.

TLDR: PS4 because of very negative quality and service with XBox 360.

Over the generations, my gaming systems of choice have gone PS, PS2, Xbox 360, and now PS4.

Why the switch back to PS? Because my 360 consoles—all four (five?) of them—repeatedly broke down due to unexplained reasons. I'm almost embarrassed I stuck with Xbox at all, but I had a large game collection and wasn't about to liquidate it for pennies on the dollar to switch to PS.

Trying to get Microsoft to honor the quality of their product was like trying to nail a bucket of water to the wall, and their customer service reps were just awful to deal with. So many frustrating phone calls and so much wasted time, and it was like those damn things had a doomswitch in them that flipped immediately after the warranty date passed.

One time, I did end up getting an executive (a real one, not a pubescent "customer account executive") via email after some extreme persistence, and he agreed to get me a free refurb in exchange for the broken one. They sent the refurb, and I sent the broken machine, and all was well for a few weeks, until I noticed on my credit card statement that they had charged me like $200 for the refurb.

Why? Because they were claiming the machine I sent back—which I'd owned since it was NIB—had been tampered with. I ended up receiving it back via UPS shortly afterward, and when I tried to turn it on, it was even more broken than before. Originally, it just wouldn't read discs. When it came back to me, it wouldn't even turn on. No one could give me a straight answer about how it had been tampered with, and I knew for a fact I hadn't done anything to it. It took even more phone calls and emails to get someone to refund the $200 they'd charged me and take the broken machine back.

So, yeah, PS this time around, because FFS, life is way too short to deal with that kind of nonsense again.

That's a horrible customer service situation for sure, but I'd guess that Sony and most other megacorps have their fair share of stories like this too. It is, unfortunately, the nature of end-user customer support these days. That said, the 360 was horrible in terms of failure rates early on, with loud DVD drives and so many RRODs it was ridiculous. They did get much better after the first year or so.

I got lucky. My first 360 (bought just after launch in late 2005) lasted five years, and my second one is almost eight years old and still going strong (including the 20GB HDD that I pulled from #1). It doesn't get much use these days since I have a One S for the family and a One X in the mancave, but the last time I turned it on a couple months ago, it worked just fine.

That's a horrible customer service situation for sure, but I'd guess that Sony and most other megacorps have their fair share of stories like this too. It is, unfortunately, the nature of end-user customer support these days. That said, the 360 was horrible in terms of failure rates early on, with loud DVD drives and so many RRODs it was ridiculous. They did get much better after the first year or so.

I got lucky. My first 360 (bought just after launch in late 2005) lasted five years, and my second one is almost eight years old and still going strong (including the 20GB HDD that I pulled from #1). It doesn't get much use these days since I have a One S for the family and a One X in the mancave, but the last time I turned it on a couple months ago, it worked just fine.

Yeah, it's not as much the customer service experience—though it was terribly frustrating—as it is the insane failure rate. I'm not exaggerating when I say I got through four or five consoles, and that's only because my ex and I eventually figured out a way to open up the last couple machines and do light maintenance to get them working again. Otherwise it would have been at least a couple more machines.

Yeah, it's not as much the customer service experience—though it was terribly frustrating—as it is the insane failure rate. I'm not exaggerating when I say I got through four or five consoles, and that's only because my ex and I eventually figured out a way to open up the last couple machines and do light maintenance to get them working again. Otherwise it would have been at least a couple more machines.
Yeah, MS did a great job of shooting themselves in the foot on that one - you're far from the first person I heard who went through multiple 360s.

Yeah, MS did a great job of shooting themselves in the foot on that one - you're far from the first person I heard who went through multiple 360s.

The kicker was that I got to see what the problem was. The machines got the same failure over and over: The OS would report "Open Tray" when a disc was in the machine, as if it was unable to recognize there was a disc. It would occasionally work, but the success rate would decrease over time until it was unusable. Also, there was this soft grinding-type noise whenever it tried to read a disc, as if something was getting stuck and a little motor was struggling against it. The noise would get more prominent as the failure got more consistent.

Turned out there was some kind of gunk accumulating on the little arm that moves the laser lens around. Maybe from dust, smoke, climate, whatever—normal household stuff. That failure, which only required a quick cleaning with Q-tips, disabled all of those consoles. Just a little gunk, maybe caused by cheap lubricant or something, in what's supposed to be a high-quality gaming machine. Just like the RROD, caused by a cheap component on the motherboard because someone cut a corner to save money. And of course MS doesn't want anyone to be able to fix anything on their own, and at $99 a pop for repairs, why would they?

Don't even get me started on failures of peripherals. Couldn't even tell you how many wireless controllers, play-and-charge cords, and headsets I've gotten through, and it's not like I abused them.

Last edited:

I sent back 4 coffins total during the 360 era. It was laughably awful. If me and all my friends weren’t gaming on Live from the original box’ launch I’d have never bought the product again.

That and I’ve now imported a few hundred purchased tracks for Rock Band to the One. My account will follow me to my death thanks to this. And Cuphead.

I have gone through so many XboxOne controllers it isn't funny. The quality is really bad and they don't last.

Next console I get will likely be PS. Apart from the controller not being durable I like everything else about XboxOne.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom