WSOP Big 50 - live update thread - road to an all PCF final table (1 Viewer)

I was gunna make a separate thread for this, but figured maybe somebody in here can help out.

Based on what I can find, I won't be able to watch a single minute of the WSOP on TV this year without paying for CBS All Access (their online streaming BS) or a PokerGO subscription? We pay an arm and a leg for Direct TV with what seems like every channel known to man, but CBS is not putting any coverage on their actual TV channels (CBSsports, CBS, local CBS...correct me if I'm wrong)

If this is indeed the case, how does the WSOP expect to bring in new players without exposing the event to the masses, no new player or somebody vaguely interested is going to buy a subscription to watch the series. Big 50 final table seems like a no-brainer to have on a normal TV channel, a $500 event that the masses can afford next year.

/endrant Long Story Short; Can I watch major event's final tables on a channel with my Direct TV subscription?

I cancelled my poker go subscription after last year's main event coverage got blocked in my area. Fuck paying for that if I can't watch the biggest event of the year.

I wish it was as easy as streaming basketball games on Reddit. There are so many better ways
Isn't it on ESPN again this year?

The Main Event was on ESPN last year, I forget what day of the event they started running it. I'll lose my mind if that has changed. But there are a lot of other big events that are TV worthy - even if they are time delayed to a suitable TV time slot later that day or even the next day. I think WSOP is messing up if they aren't making Big 50, One-Drop, maybe a handful of 50K's or 100K's, and the Main Event available to the masses.

Write your congressman and senators.

They are the ones that pushed black Friday through. Banning online sites took away a key source of commercial television revenue. Now the "tv rights" have to go to pay-to-view sources to make any money.

Dinner @ Allegro
20190601_195634.jpg

I was gunna make a separate thread for this, but figured maybe somebody in here can help out.

Based on what I can find, I won't be able to watch a single minute of the WSOP on TV this year without paying for CBS All Access (their online streaming BS) or a PokerGO subscription? We pay an arm and a leg for Direct TV with what seems like every channel known to man, but CBS is not putting any coverage on their actual TV channels (CBSsports, CBS, local CBS...correct me if I'm wrong)

If this is indeed the case, how does the WSOP expect to bring in new players without exposing the event to the masses, no new player or somebody vaguely interested is going to buy a subscription to watch the series. Big 50 final table seems like a no-brainer to have on a normal TV channel, a $500 event that the masses can afford next year.

/endrant Long Story Short; Can I watch major event's final tables on a channel with my Direct TV subscription?

I could write a 2,000 word rant about the streaming situation this year but I won't because who the hell would want to read that. Long story short the paid streaming sucks anyways.

The irony is that the streams were free for years and the WSOP put out a far superior product. Then it started costing money and everything has gone down hill. I would gladly pay 20-30 bucks every year for a good WSOP streaming experience but I plopped down 20 bucks for the garbage they are offering in 2019 and I'm not happy about it.

Like half the event's final tables aren't even been streamed. My favorite streams are the unusual events like 2-7 and Hi-Lo games. CBS doesn't want to stream them and since they own the rights to everything no one gets to see them because they won't release the events to twitch or sell the rights to someone else because they want to be the exclusive offering streamers of the WSOP. YAY Capitalism!

Meanwhile the ones I can stream are starting at 3-4 PM Eastern. I get home from work by 6 PM (3 PM Vegas time) and the final tables are half over! They are starting the final tables earlier than ever but the structures this year also make for the shortest final tables as stacks are relatively smaller than ever. Final tables are ending by 8 PM EST. If you are west coast with a 9-5 job the live streaming is basically worthless on the weekdays.

Lastly, they aren't even using David Tuchman this year who is by far the best commentator around. The old WSOP streams when he would have a revolving door of pros joining him are the best viewing experience poker has to offer. Norman Chad and Lon McEachern are fine but Tuchman's analysis and color commentary blow them out of the water.

The only bright side is I will finally get to watch the new Twilight Zone on CBS All Access at least.

Well lost me as a subscriber today!

View attachment 296473

Really highlighted another obnoxious thing here. One of the dickish things they are doing is showing them in PokerGo and then when you click on it then it tells you nope sorry it's exclusive on CBS All Access.

Streaming is now entering the phase of a penny pinching, exclusive rights fighting, pettiness nightmare right now and the WSOP streams got stuck in the middle in 2019.

I could write a 2,000 word rant about the streaming situation this year but I won't because who the hell would want to read that. Long story short the paid streaming sucks anyways.

The irony is that the streams were free for years and the WSOP put out a far superior product. Then it started costing money and everything has gone down hill. I would gladly pay 20-30 bucks every year for a good WSOP streaming experience but I plopped down 20 bucks for the garbage they are offering in 2019 and I'm not happy about it.

Like half the event's final tables aren't even been streamed. My favorite streams are the unusual events like 2-7 and Hi-Lo games. CBS doesn't want to stream them and since they own the rights to everything no one gets to see them because they won't release the events to twitch or sell the rights to someone else because they want to be the exclusive offering streamers of the WSOP. YAY Capitalism!

Meanwhile the ones I can stream are starting at 3-4 PM Eastern. I get home from work by 6 PM (3 PM Vegas time) and the final tables are half over! They are starting the final tables earlier than ever but the structures this year also make for the shortest final tables as stacks are relatively smaller than ever. Final tables are ending by 8 PM EST. If you are west coast with a 9-5 job the live streaming is basically worthless on the weekdays.

Lastly, they aren't even using David Tuchman this year who is by far the best commentator around. The old WSOP streams when he would have a revolving door of pros joining him are the best viewing experience poker has to offer. Norman Chad and Lon McEachern are fine but Tuchman's analysis and color commentary blow them out of the water.

The only bright side is I will finally get to watch the new Twilight Zone on CBS All Access at least.
I think you summed it up pretty well in just 330 words or so. :tup: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

They are talking to Jack Effel right now on the stream and one of the commentators Jamie Kerstetter actually asked about the chip denom issues. He gave a blow off answer of course.

Managed to get a login for CBS All Access..Big 50 FT is all I really want to see at this point, and yeah, 15 minutes in and I am contemplating muting it - commentating is pretty terrible.

I don't know how to do a Spoiler link on here, but level 51 has been very exciting to say the least, big blind + ante of 60 million, crazy!

Not sure how I blanked on this thread. Just got back from Vegas last night.
I'll write up a trip report when i get on a regular keyboard.

Was thinking about the WSOP being postponed this year, which sucks, and it had me wanting to re-read this thread in order to relive the memories lol.

I had such a blast playing this event, having the pcf rail and being able to see everyone else's progress through the tourney.

This should be an annual thread though from now on, I know a bunch of PCFers play the wsop each year.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom