Whats your favorite coffee? (1 Viewer)

Ethiopian Djimmah was my favourite for years. I bought it at a nearby store where they roasted in house and it was perfect - rich and flavourful, no bitterness and about $11 a pound. When I moved to the other side of town, I would still pick it up when I was in the old 'hood.

When I realized how ridiculous it was to depend on coffee that wasn't particularly cheap on the other side of town, I tried various more widely available coffees and settled on Lavazza Crema e Gusto. Regularly on sale for about $6 a pound and super rich and creamy - like the name implies.

Annotation 2020-06-25 163605.png

A common misperception. You, as a home roaster, should know that's all about the beans and how they're treated.

But I know what you mean, which is why I never order decaf out.

At home, no one has ever guessed that my coffee or espresso is decaffeinated. High-quality, single-origin, medium-dark roasted Swiss water processed beans do the trick.

They have to, or I'd never get to sleep until 3am. :cool

Last edited:
A common misperception. You, as a home roaster, should know that's all about the beans and how they're treated.

But I know what you mean, which is why I never order decaf out.

At home, no one has ever guessed that my coffee or espresso is decaffeinated. High-quality, single-origin, medium-dark roasted Swiss water processed beans do the trick.

They have to, or I'd never get to sleep until 3am. :cool
I will take you up on the implied offer to change my mind with a decaf espresso (or Americano). ;)

I poke fun at decaf because I am a shameless caffeine addict, but also because decaf is notorious for tasting bad. Chemical decaffeination destroys the origin character of the beans, and even water-decaffeinated beans require different roast profiles and are easy to screw up if the roaster isn't used to working with them. That said, I admit that I've had very good decaf a couple of times, and I wouldn't have known if I wasn't told.

And while I appreciate the compliment of being called a home roaster, I'm still a babe in that area. I've done most of my roasting with a stove-top corn popper (clunky and hard to control) and a heat gun (better, more control, easier to work with). I get decent consistency, better flavor than most store brands, but nowhere close to a high quality roast. I'm ready and willing to buy my first home roaster, but the one that I want has been out of stock for months due to manufacturing delays. Thanks, COVID-19.

....And while I appreciate the compliment of being called a home roaster, I'm still a babe in that area. I've done most of my roasting with a stove-top corn popper (clunky and hard to control) and a heat gun (better, more control, easier to work with). I get decent consistency, better flavor than most store brands, but nowhere close to a high quality roast. I'm ready and willing to buy my first home roaster, but the one that I want has been out of stock for months due to manufacturing delays. Thanks, COVID-19.

Hope you're enjoying it! I'll look forward to hearing about your adventures when you work your way up to an outdoor turkey deep fryer for roasting! :cool

I’m a bit of a snob for pour overs and aero press coffee. I personally love coava out in Portland.
But there’s great roasters here. In NoVa Cafe Amouri in Vienna is fantastic. In MD Ceremony roasters in Annapolis are really good

Hope you're enjoying it! I'll look forward to hearing about your adventures when you work your way up to an outdoor turkey deep fryer for roasting! :cool
I've got a Behmor roaster on order, hopefully it will arrive sometime in July.

When it does, I'll get a few batches under my belt and then send you a sample.

....But there’s great roasters here. In NoVa Cafe Amouri in Vienna is fantastic. In MD Ceremony roasters in Annapolis are really good

When we lived there, we used to buy most of our coffee from Misha's in Old Town Alexandria -- excellent beans. They have now moved onto King St., but they still roast on the premises.

We still buy around half our coffee from Baltimore Coffee & Tea. Excellent varietals, including decafs. Ditto for La Colombe Torrefaction, in Philadelphia and DC, (but they've been acquired and are proliferating like crazy).

Cafe Eight O'Clock has been my favourite for a while. I tend to switch between the original and Bokar blend. Still have to try the 100% Columbian version.

cafe_8_oclock (Medium).jpg

Since i found this place at the Colorado meet up 2 years ago i've been buying and having it shipped from Golden Colorado.

Pangea Coffee roasters.

Brazil Roast and Brazil Decaf (we do a 50/50 mix) I buy 2 5lb bags that lasts about 2 months (i'll check the math on that)

No bitterness, no weird aftertaste. Deep full flavor. Not had a better in home coffee yet.

@pltrgyst their decaf uses the swiss water method. And its fantastic.

Last edited:
correction:

the last time we ordered they had the regular Brazil roast but the Decaf was Guatamalan.

I cant tell the difference. Its fantastic.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 9.58.04 PM.png

They were one of my favorites when i was living out there - their single origin was always on point.
I find most of the Peet’s stuff pretty decent but I especially like buying the gift cards from Costco and then stocking up when Peet’s offers sales. Discount double dip.

My Behmor roaster should be here soon, and I can't wait. I've been roasting with a sifter and a heat gun, which works surprisingly well, but I'm looking forward to a more set-it-and-relax approach.

My Behmor roaster should be here soon, and I can't wait. I've been roasting with a sifter and a heat gun, which works surprisingly well, but I'm looking forward to a more set-it-and-relax approach.

I dont think you'll be disappointed! I was using a smaller roaster before picking up one of these, and there's no better option imo, at the same price point
Behmor Roaster.jpg

You do have to Press the Start button when the initial timed setting reaches the 3 minute mark, but otherwise, it's great

I’m not a coffee drinker at all. I will have one with some Irish Cream during a poker game and another the next morning if we played until 4am which is pretty typical.

So my favorite coffee is anything highly caffeinated and fortified with alcohol.:D

I dont think you'll be disappointed! I was using a smaller roaster before picking up one of these, and there's no better option imo, at the same price point
View attachment 497438

You do have to Press the Start button when the initial timed setting reaches the 3 minute mark, but otherwise, it's great
My timing was good, I've got the new model (2000AB) coming. I've been told they should start shipping at the end of this month.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom