What video games are you playing? (6 Viewers)

This is the first year I've skipped it since 2014. I have 21 on the PS5, and from what I've read, there's pretty much little to no difference between the two.
Hahaha, I don’t think there’s been a major difference since it’s release if I’m being honest. They update the cards for ultimate team and that’s about it

Well I got quite the surprise yesterday when I got an email from UPS saying my package from Facebook was arriving today. Turns out, after recommending the Oculus to my mom and step dad as a way to be a bit more active at home, they bought us one as well. That will be a fun way to ride out the rest of my Omicron quarantine!

My wife gifted me a NES for Christmas and will be introducing my kids to the good ol games of 80s and early 90s gaming. Just waiting for an mClassic graphics card to arrive to smooth over the jaggies.

Got my Oculus Quest 2 up and running. Put it in developer mode. Got Virtual Desktop. And ran some stuff through Steam VR. My rig isn't amazing, i5 8000 series and 1660 Ti. But damn the Valve free The Lab VR experience is fucking awesome. I noticed basically no latency streaming from my PC to the Quest 2.

Also got a cool free 10 minute experience called Elixer on the Quest proper. It uses hand tracking, and that was pretty cool to mess with.

I'm sure as the novelty wears off it will become like any other video game system. But for now, it's going to be a lot of fun when I can actually play it.

Just downloaded Horizon Zero Dawn. Got it with the expansion pack for $9.99 on the playstation store. One of my buddies, whose opinion on video games I trust, said I should give it a go. So far looks great on the ps5.

Just downloaded Horizon Zero Dawn. Got it with the expansion pack for $9.99 on the playstation store. One of my buddies, whose opinion on video games I trust, said I should give it a go. So far looks great on the ps5.
Very fun game.

It is great. I've not had a huge desire to go back to it after I beat it though. At some point I'm sure I will though.
I like to try to speedrun my way through the original sometimes. I've tried to pickup speedrunning Super Metroid too, but it's such a beast. lol

Got my Oculus Quest 2 up and running. Put it in developer mode. Got Virtual Desktop. And ran some stuff through Steam VR. My rig isn't amazing, i5 8000 series and 1660 Ti. But damn the Valve free The Lab VR experience is fucking awesome. I noticed basically no latency streaming from my PC to the Quest 2.

Also got a cool free 10 minute experience called Elixer on the Quest proper. It uses hand tracking, and that was pretty cool to mess with.

I'm sure as the novelty wears off it will become like any other video game system. But for now, it's going to be a lot of fun when I can actually play it.

I got a Quest 2 just about this time last year. I played it a lot for the first ~3-6 months but the novelty did wear off after a while. I have a similar setup as you (i7-6700K and 1070) and I have found that it's not quite powerful enough to run some of the stuff I'm interested in playing via link or Virtual Desktop. At some point, once new cards are actually available and affordable I will make an upgrade and probably get to play a bunch more games.

Plenty of games available on Quest 2 native though to keep you busy. The one I enjoyed and put the most hours into was probably "In Death Unchained". I also tore through the Vader games which, as a Star Wars fanboy, I really enjoyed. Vader is more of a story experience though, FYI.

Still playing DayZ on PC. Been many updates and the game had gotten much better. I still play on modded servers.

Hmm...I think they added DayZ to XboX PC Game Pass so I might have to fire it up. Haven't played since Arma 2 days. Are modded servers easy to access?

Walkabout Mini Golf on Oculus...

perfect-mwah.gif

Sneaking in this game is mostly pointless, there's really only one situation I've used it in.

Full murder hobo is pretty much the way to escape Fort Joy, especially if you ever move to tactician. You'll need every bit of experience you can get on tactician.

You've inspired me to download the game again and start another playthrough. Are you running a mixed, physical, or magical damage party?

Well, I just hit Act III and I'm 55 hours into the game (went full murder-hobo at the end of Act II for loot and experience) and just made my way into the pocket dimension of the Imps, which is where I decided I am done with this game.

Having my party slowed to 50% speed and all sorts of exploding traps and poison everywhere, plus a valve you can turn that just releases deathfog and wipes your party is the final straw that broke the camels back.

I wanted to like this game, I really did. The writing, narration and characters are interesting.

But with EVERY fucking encounter being essentially an ambush where your party is on the ground bunched up together, while enemies are all on raised platforms and spread out (so they can hit your entire party with AOE attacks but you can't do the same to them) and most fights resulting in party deaths where you need to save-scum and replay the fight with your advanced knowledge so you can handle it (note: this is NOT fucking fun, it's frustrating in a game that is 100 or so hours long) it's just too much of a fucking chore and grind.

Not to mention, you can only have a party of 4, which means two companions get left behind and you don't experience their storyline. Who the fuck wants to replay a 100-hour game to try and see what the 2 missing companions had going on?

And who the fuck put exploding or poison battles EVERYFUCKINGWHERE???? Every encounter doesn't need to have you slowed, on fire, electrocuted, etc. Every step you take on the map there's traps and poison to traverse through. It's like you're playing with a DM who fucking hates you and wants you to have as miserable an experience as possible.

This game showed so much promise, but I cannot recommend Divinity 2. Too much time is needed to be spent googling obscure puzzle solutions, managing your inventory is another time waster that takes forever as you compare items to see if you should switch them out on characters or not, etc. And don't get me started on the crafting system, sometimes less is more Larian Studios.

And then there's the "class" system. It doesn't matter if you play a fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard, etc. They can all just pick skills and be essentially the exact same. The wizard can go sword and board. The fighter can cast fireballs and summon creatures to fight for you, if you select the right skills and abilities. It waters down the specialties of each class when they can all wind up being essentially the exact same regardless, they don't feel unique in their own right.

Well, I just hit Act III and I'm 55 hours into the game (went full murder-hobo at the end of Act II for loot and experience) and just made my way into the pocket dimension of the Imps, which is where I decided I am done with this game.

Having my party slowed to 50% speed and all sorts of exploding traps and poison everywhere, plus a valve you can turn that just releases deathfog and wipes your party is the final straw that broke the camels back.

I wanted to like this game, I really did. The writing, narration and characters are interesting.

But with EVERY fucking encounter being essentially an ambush where your party is on the ground bunched up together, while enemies are all on raised platforms and spread out (so they can hit your entire party with AOE attacks but you can't do the same to them) and most fights resulting in party deaths where you need to save-scum and replay the fight with your advanced knowledge so you can handle it (note: this is NOT fucking fun, it's frustrating in a game that is 100 or so hours long) it's just too much of a fucking chore and grind.

Not to mention, you can only have a party of 4, which means two companions get left behind and you don't experience their storyline. Who the fuck wants to replay a 100-hour game to try and see what the 2 missing companions had going on?

And who the fuck put exploding or poison battles EVERYFUCKINGWHERE???? Every encounter doesn't need to have you slowed, on fire, electrocuted, etc. Every step you take on the map there's traps and poison to traverse through. It's like you're playing with a DM who fucking hates you and wants you to have as miserable an experience as possible.

This game showed so much promise, but I cannot recommend Divinity 2. Too much time is needed to be spent googling obscure puzzle solutions, managing your inventory is another time waster that takes forever as you compare items to see if you should switch them out on characters or not, etc. And don't get me started on the crafting system, sometimes less is more Larian Studios.

And then there's the "class" system. It doesn't matter if you play a fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard, etc. They can all just pick skills and be essentially the exact same. The wizard can go sword and board. The fighter can cast fireballs and summon creatures to fight for you, if you select the right skills and abilities. It waters down the specialties of each class when they can all wind up being essentially the exact same regardless, they don't feel unique in their own right.
Oh man, I LOVED Divinity 2.

The game definitely has some weaknesses though, especially if you're trying to play without referencing any build guides or anything. Due to having to chew through physical or magical resistance before dealing any damage, you really have to build your party strongly around one type of damage. IMO though there are plenty of varieties of different builds for both magic and physical that your party isn't a bunch of one-trick ponies. Otherwise, though, I haven't played an RPG with more satisfying combat.

Yes, that pocket dimension quest was kind of annoying, I can't remember how I got through it relatively unscathed... I was able to bypass a large amount of the pain somehow. Probably teleport or thievery or something.

Oh man, I LOVED Divinity 2.

The game definitely has some weaknesses though, especially if you're trying to play without referencing any build guides or anything. Due to having to chew through physical or magical resistance before dealing any damage, you really have to build your party strongly around one type of damage. IMO though there are plenty of varieties of different builds for both magic and physical that your party isn't a bunch of one-trick ponies. Otherwise, though, I haven't played an RPG with more satisfying combat.

Yes, that pocket dimension quest was kind of annoying, I can't remember how I got through it relatively unscathed... I was able to bypass a large amount of the pain somehow. Probably teleport or thievery or something.

I enjoyed the writing, narration and characters enough to sink 55 hours into it. But the constant need for everything you do to be just pure frustration made me reach my limit

There's no need in the pocket dimension for you to be slowed. Maybe they thought it would be like a time dilation effect, but it was just purely annoying.

The tactical combat could be fun if every spot on the map wasn't a barrel waiting to blow up and release fire, poison, etc. Just grows tiring after awhile

I'm back to Stellaris working on conquering a 1,000 star galaxy

I've been playing this interesting indie card game called Inscryption. I've never really gotten into card games as video games before, but this one has grabbed me.

My friends and I recently started playing Project Zomboid. Pretty punishing little zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit janky, but that's part of its charm. Kind of like the early days of DayZ. Having a good time with it so far.

Another +1 for StS, played the hell out of that when i had to bring my laptop overseas.
I've also been loving Timberborn currently, still in EA so there is a LOT of QoL improvements to be made, but if you like base builders with a priority system (think banished/ rim world for unit management) its a good buy.

Yeah, I have ~580 hours into StS on Steam and I also have the game on Switch and my phone :LOL: :laugh:

Still come back to it from time to time and it still feels fresh and challenging.

If you haven't played Slay the Spire, highly recommend it.

+1 for Slay the Spire

Inscryption is very good though. Very meta and weird.

Another +1 for StS, played the hell out of that when i had to bring my laptop overseas.
I've also been loving Timberborn currently, still in EA so there is a LOT of QoL improvements to be made, but if you like base builders with a priority system (think banished/ rim world for unit management) its a good buy.

Well I got to Act 2 of Inscryption and didn't like it at all (what a bizarre change of direction), so I went with your recommendations and grabbed Slay the Spire for $9.99 - it's awesome, great call and thanks to all of you. I stayed up playing it until 2am last night.

Right now I’m playing Ghost of Tsushima.
Just got this with my PS5 a couple week ago. I really like it (so beautiful), but I can tell it's going to be a slog (looking at you, collectibles...). I'm also terrible at managing multiple enemies.

Just got this with my PS5 a couple week ago. I really like it (so beautiful), but I can tell it's going to be a slog (looking at you, collectibles...). I'm also terrible at managing multiple enemies.

Keep at it and you'll eventually be able to do stuff like this:

Well I got to Act 2 of Inscryption and didn't like it at all (what a bizarre change of direction), so I went with your recommendations and grabbed Slay the Spire for $9.99 - it's awesome, great call and thanks to all of you. I stayed up playing it until 2am last night.
I'd stick it out with Inscryption, but I can understand now wanting to. While the direction changes, the core gameplay does not. And it continues to evolve. And the meta story expands. There is even a 3rd act where things "change" again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom