What other things are you a "snob" about (1 Viewer)

BBQ Snob. Anything BBQing...Meat, drink, etc.

Need beverages while preparing/cooking...nice BBQ drink is a Moscow Mule.
View attachment 149061

Hamburgers...starts with grinding the meat. 2 parts chuck, 2 parts short ribs, 1 part brisket. Cook on original Webber Kettle grill. Cook indirect...coals to one side, piece of red oak for nice flavor, slab of onion goes on at same time as burgers, buttered buns hit the heat just before burgers come off...nice red wine with burgers (a Pinot or Zin is great with burgers).
View attachment 149059

View attachment 149060

Surf n turf is a favorite as well...filet with lobster tails. Again, prepared on simple Original Webber Kettle grill.
View attachment 149062

Other BBQ tools include a Santa Maria grill...chicken and tri-tip cooked over red oak are great on this grill.
View attachment 149063

BBQ is from Texas, by Lyfe Tyme...slow cooked ribs, brisket, etc...
View attachment 149064

View attachment 149065

BBQ Snob at it's best....

Remimd me to direct you toward the Dinner Plans? thread. That burger looks to be epic.

Hamburgers...starts with grinding the meat.

Agreed. Just as good chili starts with cutting the meat into cubes, not grinding it.

.a Pinot or Zin is great with burgers).

Disagreed. Pinot is way too light for a good burger, and the zin would have to be a full-bodied zin. IMO, far better would be Syrah, Petite Syrah, or malbec.

Last edited:
Have you seen the absolute garbage pizza being sold in lower Manhattan these days? We were shocked...

I have no doubt that there are going to be some junk pies in the touristy areas. They get bolstered by Yelp, and then others go there and don't want to buck the 5-star trend (everyone says it's great, so I guess it is), so it begins to look phenomenal.

My last trip to NY, I stayed about 4-5 blocks from @gopherblue 's apartment in Brooklyn. There is no reason for a tourist to land in this neighborhood (which is why I went there), and I found some un-freaking-believable eateries (pizza and otherwise).

As a rule, when I vacation I try to do what the locals do, not the tourists. Life is far more impressive that way.

Shit, I guess I'm a travel snob too.

Last edited:
Disagreed. Pinot is way too light for a good burger, and the zin would have to be a full-bodied zin. IMO, far better would be Syrah, Petite Syrah, or malbec.

I don't disagree with a Syrah, Petite Syrah or Malbec; but, not the best and tend to over power the many flavors in the burger.

There are some fantastic Pinot's from the Russian River area, Napa and the Santa Lucia Highlands just south of Monterey that are incredible with the flavors of a good burger. Some old vine Zins from Howell Mountain/Napa and Lomoc do just as good...I prefer either over any Syrah, Peteite Syrah or Malbec.

I like a less bodied wine to complement the meat flavor, the bbq oak flavor, the cheese, the bbq'd onion, the lettuce, the tomato, the marinated jalapenos, the buttered bun, the special sauce...a nice light Pinot or Zin are incredible with this burger.

Last edited:
Sports Tickets...
When I go to an event or buy tickets, I want to sit as close to the action as possible*.

Now, if you GIVE me tickets, or invite me along, I am just as happy to go to the game and sit wherever the seats are. I am very grateful for those situations.

*If those tickets are beyond expensive, I will buy tickets in which my budget allows.

I don't disagree with a Syrah, Petite Syrah or Malbec; but, not the best and tend to over power the many flavors in the burger.

There are some fantastic Pinot's from the Russian River area, Napa and the Santa Lucia Highlands just south of Monterey that are incredible with the flavors of a good burger. Some old vine Zins from Howell Mountain/Napa and Lomoc do just as good...I prefer either over any Syrah, Peteite Syrah or Malbec....

Well, we're just going to have to disagree on that.

We're not very big on west coast wines in general; I consider them way overpriced compared to what's available from the rest of the world. That said, we do have a few shelves of zins from Ridge, Turley, and (slightly lower on the evolutionary scale) Neyers. I also love the Ridge ATP (Advanced Tasting Program), which ships extremely low-volume specific varietals and zin blends (usually with petite syrah and mataro) three times a year.

So given that pricing situation, when it comes to the occasional west coast pinot noir, we tend to drink exclusively Santa Barbaras, from favorite producers like Brewer-Clifton and Melville (Greg Brewer is a wine genius, and a friend-of-a-friend). I haven't tasted any other west coast pinots that I've thought compared to them.

So, with that, off to open some bottles from Cameron Hughes for a small dinner party tonight. Foie Gras to start (yuck); sous vide loin lamb chops are in process, to be accompanied by a red wine, shallot, and home-grown Herbs de Provence sauce; corn risotto Milanese; salad; cheese (Meadow Creek Dairy's Grayson and Fromage d'Affinois); Citrus Madeleines, Black Raspberry and Chocolate Chip ice cream, and fresh raspberries; espresso, Calvados, Armagnac. {burp}

The guests are a retired couple from California. She used to work for a wine importer, and he was an LA restaurant critic for 35 years, and still does a weekly Internet wine program.

The pressure is ON!!! :eek: Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I know there are places in this country that lack good pizza - it's why chains like papa johns are able to exist. What burns me is that New Yorkers think they're the only place in the country with good pizza. It's ridiculous. And aside from the fact that you actually can get good NY style pizza outside of NY, what's more important is there's a whole world of pizza out there. Chicago deep dish, Sicilian thick crust, greek style pizza, the list goes on - when it comes to pizza, if you discriminate, you're only screwing yourself.

Agreed. You can get good NY style pizza outside of NY. I don't hold any bias as to where is was produced. I've found a place or 2 here in northern VA that I like, but they were not here when I moved here 20 years ago. The problem is that many people have not been exposed to really good so they don't know any better. Just like poker chips - if you have never been exposed to clay chips, you think dice chips are great because they are an improvement over the 2-gram plastic chips.

As for the 'whole world of pizza', again agree completely. If it's done well, any of those other styles are awesome. Love me a chicago classic or a wood-fired 'craft' pizza. The key though is done well, which most places don't do. And if it's shit, I'll call it out and that is what makes me a snob.

You can get pork roll / Taylor ham in any Publix, or by mail order. There's always a log in our refrigerator...

But I must admit, we *never* have it for breakfast.

PORK ROLL!!!! Here in VA they sell pork roll at the Giant. I'll occasionally buy some and make pork roll egg and cheese on a fresh hard roll. Such a great breakfast. Yummy!

Sports Tickets...
When I go to an event or buy tickets, I want to sit as close to the action as possible*.

Now, if you GIVE me tickets, or invite me along, I am just as happy to go to the game and sit wherever the seats are. I am very grateful for those situations.

*If those tickets are beyond expensive, I will buy tickets in which my budget allows.

We've had 1st row Flyers tickets in the family since 1972. I remember having to wear two pairs of socks so your feet don't freeze when they were still playing in the old Spectrum. That's how close they were to the ice.

I couldn't get the tickets to the Flyers / Maple Leafs Game 7 way back in 2003 so I ended up getting other seats. Center Ice, 2nd Level, 1st Row. I would take those seats again over the others any day. You can see all the action.

Flyers won 6-1. :)

Well, we're just going to have to disagree on that.

We're not very big on west coast wines in general; I consider them way overpriced compared to what's available from the rest of the world. That said, we do have a few shelves of zins from Ridge, Turley, and (slightly lower on the evolutionary scale) Neyers. I also love the Ridge ATP (Advanced Tasting Program), which ships extremely low-volume specific varietals and zin blends (usually with petite syrah and mataro) three times a year.

So given that pricing situation, when it comes to the occasional west coast pinot noir, we tend to drink exclusively Santa Barbaras, from favorite producers like Brewer-Clifton and Melville (Greg Brewer is a wine genius, and a friend-of-a-friend). I haven't tasted any other west coast pinots that I've thought compared to them.

S, with that, off to open some bottles from Cameron Hughes for a small dinner party tonight. Foie Gras to start (yuck); sous vide loin lamb chops are in process, to be accompanied by a red wine, shallot, and home-grown Herbs de Provence sauce; corn risotto Milanese; salad; cheese (Meadow Creek Dairy's Grayson and Fromage d'Affinois); Citrus Madeleines, Black Raspberry and Chocolate Chip ice cream, and fresh raspberries; espresso, Calvados, Armagnac. {burp}

The guests are a retired couple from California. She used to work for a wine importer, and he was an LA restaurant critic for 35 years, and still does a weekly Internet wine program.

The pressure is ON!!! :eek: Wish me luck!

Do not call the police when you see someone stalking in your bushes. The nose prints on your kitchen window will be mine.

Local store out here...Artisan Wine Depot, carries it. This store facilitates wine tastings weekly, featuring wine makers from around the world. A year or so ago the wine maker from Catena was in town. https://www.artisanwinedepot.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=malbec

They do ship....
Thanks, but sadly, not the wine I’m looking for. I don’t think it is exported.

8890CE9B-6CD7-4F94-AD86-490CAEAA0365.jpeg

We've had 1st row Flyers tickets in the family since 1972. I remember having to wear two pairs of socks so your feet don't freeze when they were still playing in the old Spectrum. That's how close they were to the ice.

I couldn't get the tickets to the Flyers / Maple Leafs Game 7 way back in 2003 so I ended up getting other seats. Center Ice, 2nd Level, 1st Row. I would take those seats again over the others any day. You can see all the action.

Flyers won 6-1. :)

I hope you weren't at last night's game :cool:

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 4.52.15 PM.png

I love me some Argentinian Malbecs. Best value out there imo. Try the Dolium Reserve.

Argentine wines are some of the best bargains in the wine stores in my area.

If you love Argentine Malbecs, then you also owe it to yourself to try some Spanish Garnachas.

I love me some Argentinian Malbecs. Best value out there imo. Try the Dolium Reserve.

Ding ding ding . . . now you are in my wheelhouse. Sadly, the LCBO (govt booze monopoly) is currently hyping the CRAP out of Chile and Argentina, which means prices are going to go up. Spain, anyone?

Ding ding ding . . . now you are in my wheelhouse. Sadly, the LCBO (govt booze monopoly) is currently hyping the CRAP out of Chile and Argentina, which means prices are going to go up. Spain, anyone?
I enjoy Spanish wines. Don't have many at the moment. My favorite is from the La Rioja region.
286815.jpg

Try this one. Wine.com shows $14 list price in the States.
las-rocas-de-san-alejandro-garnacha-calatayud-spain-10525807.jpg

Vancouver International Wine Festival starts their public tastings in the first weekend of March. Countries in the spotlight are Spain and Portugal. I can't wait!

I enjoy Spanish wines. Don't have many at the moment. My favorite is from the La Rioja region.
View attachment 149587

Nice. Our favorite little-known Spanish wines are Mencias and Monastrells, mostly -- but not all -- from Levante. And many excellent Garnachas from Priorat can be found at lower cost than anything bearing the buzzy Rioja name.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom