What other things are you a "snob" about (5 Viewers)

I own two Griswold cast iron. Both inherited. My birthday present was a Lodge 12" skillet. I'm breaking it in correctly. I own zero non-cast iron skillets, so I'm a skillet snob too. I also inherited a generic and a Wagner Ware. Both are excellent, but there is something about the Griswold. And mine are not even one of the "good" Griswolds.

Food at cookouts. I go to a lot of trouble when hosting to make home made side dishes and grill good meat, don’t like going to peoples house where they serve frozen hamburger patties and store bought potato salad
Oh guess I posted nearly the same thing 2 years ago

Food at cookouts. I go to a lot of trouble when hosting to make home made side dishes and grill good meat, don’t like going to peoples house where they serve frozen hamburger patties and store bought potato salad

I hate it when guests ask to help and buy some food and it's subpar (bread, store bought potato salad like you said, fruit platters, chicken wings that been under a heat lamp for an hour).

When I make something like fresh shrimp salad rolls, I buy fresh shrimp and take the time to behead, peel and devein the shrimp myself. I also make homemade peanut sauce for dipping.

Now I just tell them to bring alcohol and ice. That's it. I take too much pride in making a homemade spread. I'm not a chef but I really feel that taking the time to make something yourself, even if it's following a recipe, will always result in better food than just buying it prepackaged. This is why I hate going to summer BBQs if I'm not hosting lol

I might be Snob when it comes to Bikes. I have a few 80's/90's BMX bikes. When the time came to get my now 6YO son a Bike to ride my wife said lets get him a bike from Walmart or Target or something. Being that I have built some 80s/90s BMX bikes of my own I said hell no are we getting a Department store bike. I got a JR GT Performer from the early 90s and built her up for my son. The frame and fork are 1993. The picture on the left was the bike stripped down and then I had it powder coated and got the different parts from different places and the finished product in on the right. This is the bike my son currently rides.
GTJRBARE.JPG
GTJRDRIVESIDE.JPG

Cheese. I can't do bad/mediocre cheese. I'd say more picky than snobby though, as I don't give a rip what others think about cheese -- other than the makers of my favorites that is. No I won't list any, because it mostly subjective.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F5a%2F11%2F27%2F5a1127f68a0aeaef4376d280297e708f.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

- sporting event tickets
- women

but mostly:

- golf courses,

some notables that i have played include:

Augusta National
Pine Valley
Crystal Downs
Peachtree
East Lake
TPC Sawgrass
Pinehurst #2, #4, #8
Arcadia Bluffs
Kiawah Island - Ocean Course
Ocean Forest
Sea Island - Seaside
Atlanta Athletic Club
Streamsong - Red, Blue and Black
Just confirming... That list is of golf courses, not women, correct?

I own two Griswold cast iron. Both inherited. My birthday present was a Lodge 12" skillet. I'm breaking it in correctly. I own zero non-cast iron skillets, so I'm a skillet snob too. I also inherited a generic and a Wagner Ware. Both are excellent, but there is something about the Griswold. And mine are not even one of the "good" Griswolds.

Griswold skillets are 1000x as good as Lodge. I guess that makes me a cast-iron snob.

Way to many leaks...

HiFi/DJ gear, vinyl (+10K), cars, motorcycles, bikes (MTB), weed, kites & boards (kitesurfing), sneakers

I might be Snob when it comes to Bikes. I have a few 80's/90's BMX bikes. When the time came to get my now 6YO son a Bike to ride my wife said lets get him a bike from Walmart or Target or something. Being that I have built some 80s/90s BMX bikes of my own I said hell no are we getting a Department store bike. I got a JR GT Performer from the early 90s and built her up for my son. The frame and fork are 1993. The picture on the left was the bike stripped down and then I had it powder coated and got the different parts from different places and the finished product in on the right. This is the bike my son currently rides.
View attachment 403812 View attachment 403813
That's just good sense. Store bought bikes suck and generally break quickly if you ride them with any level of aggression.

Very cool looking bike for your son.

Coffee, beer, gin, bicycles, cameras, firearms, watches.

Coffee needs no explanation.

I don't drink much or often, so I like a good martini with top-shelf stuff. Same with beer. If you're only having one, pick a good one.

Bikes, cameras, firearms -- that's about performance. Buy quality stuff and it works well every time. You don't want your bike to die on you 10 miles from home. And if you ever really need a pistol, it needs to work.

And watches? Ian Fleming wrote that every man should have one good watch.

Last edited:
Griswold skillets are 1000x as good as Lodge. I guess that makes me a cast-iron snob.

They are, due to the much finer surface. But the coarser modern Lodge surface actually holds seasoning better due to the added three-dimensional surface area.

Anyway, I love my Griswolds, but I have to admit that our most used cast iron piece for the past ten years has been a modern Lodge that doesn't even appear in their current catalog. Roughly 11.5" x 8" overall, it's just so damned handy (and due to be stripped any day now)...

Lodge1.jpg
Lodge2.jpg

....And watches? Ian Fleming wrote that every man should have one good watch.

I haven't worn a watch (or a tie) since I retired in 2011.

Ian Fleming died at age 56. What did he know? :cool
(And with a cell phone in your pocket, who needs a watch?)

Nobody actually needs a watch anymore, let alone an expensive one.
It's just the only piece of jewellery aesthetically acceptable on a man, IMHO.

I haven't worn a watch (or a tie) since I retired in 2011.

Ian Fleming died at age 56. What did he know? :cool
(And with a cell phone in your pocket, who needs a watch?)
Precisely. Cell phones have essentially made watches obsolete. Watches are only a fashion accessory today.

....It's just the only piece of jewellery aesthetically acceptable on a man, IMHO.

Except when he's a pro tennis player in the middle of a match. Man, do I hate seeing that. It demeans the sport. :mad:

(Does this mean you're opposed to wedding rings?)

Hockey skates and stick. CCM supertacks fit my feet like a dream, I won't go with anything else. Stick has been a SherWood since I can remember. Retail on these is about 4 of the chiproom solid tourney sets.

Everything changes... There was a time I only wore Bauer skates... And I put my kids in Bauer only... At least one of them still wear Bauer...

And sticks? The stuff I used in my playing days is lol compared to what they have out there now.

I've never even heard of Griswold. :(

I guess it's hard to get behind a company that went out of buisness because of poor quality. Research shows that the older stuff is collectable, but I'm not willing to risk high $ for a counterfeit, or a later model sold as a "classic" (the cast iron version of "real clay").

I do love my 3 Lodge pans though, even if they are the "unleaded Paulsons" of the cooking world.

I've never even heard of Griswold. :(

I guess it's hard to get behind a company that went out of buisness because of poor quality. Research shows that the older stuff is collectable, but I'm not willing to risk high $ for a counterfeit, or a later model sold as a "classic" (the cast iron version of "real clay").

I do love my 3 Lodge pans though, even if they are the "unleaded Paulsons" of the cooking world.

IMO lodge is more the dice chip of the cast iron world. Functional, but once you try the real thing you’ll never go back. My experience only applies to skillets, not griddled or ditch ovens, but nothing beats a 50 year old skillet with a glass-smooth cooking surface.

there are also several companies that produce modern skillets with a smooth surface but you can expect to pay $100+

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom