What is the biggest lie about poker ? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Norris won the 1983 World Series of Poker despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of jail free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green No.4 Uno card.

Chuck Norris bought all of the Harrah’s Cherokee T1000s from the gift shop.

The old man that Ive been playing with for 10 years is a very mediocre player. In fact, he misreads his own hands so much, it could be said he is a BELOW AVERAGE PLAYER , yet he consistently wins big money in our local games and he most certainly is not the best player in the game. There are at least 4 other players who are better then him. This phenomena can only be explained by the old mans above average run of luck. From a skill perspective and mathematically, the old man should be a losing player . He also has the incredible scenario that when he hits his big winning hands , there are other players in the hand that make big hands, to pay him off . In other words, it is good luck to hit quads and full houses, but it isnt very beneficial unless you get other players tied up in the hand, to also have big hands and pay you off. This is yet another part of the good luck factor, that most people do not think about.

Seat open... :whistle: :whistling:

1) "luck" never equals true in a trillion coin flips we can not expect to have an exact 50/50, but it will be every close to it
2) but still I dont believe that a bad player runs constantley over EV over the time frame of 10 years, he does something right if he owns you all so hard
3) In my local poker game which we ran for 10 years now. We kept track of all results and they are almost exaclty to the strengh of each player

I once flopped quads with 33 middle position in an unraised pot with 4 players playing $1/2NL at Borgata. People were paying pretty loose all night. It gets checked to me, I checked it, and it checked around. Turn card gets checked to me and I bet $6. Everyone folds and I win the blinds:(

That is the best (worst) luck. Have the nuts, but not one soul has anything that matches the flop and turn, so they all fold to a value bet.. YUKKKKKKKKKK

Holy fuck.

I've avoided this thread mostly because 220 replies in the first like 10 minutes, but I opened it with the intent of reading the first page (I wanna get all the inside jokes in it her posts too)...

I find the Lorem Ipsum webpages easier to get through..

I played up the "awe shucks" newb player when I was younger. It worked out nicely. Everyone thought I was just lucky. I even "mis-read" my hand a few times, and slow rolled with apologies. I would even buy rounds of drinks for the table, playing the "I'm just here to have a good time" line.

Moral of the story: things aren't always what they seem.

Last edited:
In my local poker game which we ran for 10 years now. We kept track of all results and they are almost exactly to the strength of each player

^This
I have 16 years of stats on my players as well and there are no surprises to the data. Sure some guys have a lucky streak here or there and have even won season championships, but the guys with the best overall stats are the guys who are better than the other players - period. And that would not be argued by anyone in our group who knows the players. So I don't buy long term success on luck alone.
My data pool is ~60 players with long term data on ~30 of them

Just throwing this out there...as stated, “luck” (or any other randomness variable) does not even out over time. That’s literally the gamblers fallacy...there is a streak of reds so blacks are due to get back to the correct 50/50 distribution.
I prefer to call it the Theory of Maturing Chance.

3) In my local poker game which we ran for 10 years now. We kept track of all results and they are almost exaclty to the strengh of each player

Same here. I’ve run a spreadsheet for a private tourney (which I now host, but I did the data work for years prior) for about 7 years now... There is no one whose results don’t correlate to how they play. I’m constantly looking for someone who is an outlier, but with several hundred sessions in the books, I don’t see any. If we played a 30-day series of tournaments, it would be easy to predict who the top five performers would be.

What is more interesting in the stats is to see the patterns of how people perform. There’s one guy who is usually either among of the first couple players out, or he comes in #1 or #2. Much more often out early, and seldom any places in-between, in a field which averages 14 players... But that reflects his high variance play: Either he’s building a huge stack early and going very deep, or busting out very early. (He usually then goes to his car and naps for a couple hours until the cash game starts.)

Then there are players who I can see from the numbers are a good deal better than average, but whose play is weak in the late push/shove stages. They almost never bust before tables combine, but they tend to bubble a lot... If they would just up their shortstacked games, they would be in the money much more often.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom