Home Game: Who is the a-hole? (3 Viewers)

Who is the a-hole?

• "Steh-vay/steev"

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Everyone else

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Holy shit what is wrong with you and/or your home game, Cat Pants?

Votes: 49 73.1%

• Total voters

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Alas, my home game has another quandary. Who is the a-hole here?

A player who has been attending for several years, we will call him "Steve" (this is not his real name), is enjoying friendly banter with the other players. We start discussing names (for instance, two of our players who are not present, one player has called the other by the slightly wrong name (think like the difference between Rob and Bob) for years and we all wonder when eventually someone may try to correct it).

And then "Steve" says, "people mispronounce my name all the time." I ask what he means, and he says, "It's not 'steev', it's 'steh vay'. After some back and forth, and some "wait, what, really?" it becomes clear that this is totally legitimate (and not goofy like my example).

Someone we all considered a friend, let us mispronounce his name horribly for the better part of three years. And said nothing while we disrespected him. And now we all feel like terrible a-holes. But should we? Who is the a-hole, here?

This feels like you are parodying the "am I an a-hole" concept/meme, but just in case you are being serious, this sounds fine and hilarious.

You play in the most interesting home game I've ever heard of. What a cast of characters. Is this card licking guy or wet hands on the rail guy?
I cannot divulge.

That said, the player who always calls someone by the wrong name, English is his second language, so he makes mistakes with certain words and phrases. My favorite is what he calls tournaments:

Screenshot_20231002_231151_Messages.jpg

This one doesn’t sound that crazy to me, NAH (nobody asshole here).

It’s a “man” thing. My barber calls me Ryan. I’ve went to him for 2 years now. I didn’t correct him the first time, would’ve just been weird after that.

I’ve had multiple good friends for years who never knew my first name, then randomly thought to ask one day.

It’s a “man” thing. My barber calls me Ryan. I’ve went to him for 2 years now. I didn’t correct him the first time, would’ve just been weird after that.

I’ve had multiple good friends for years who never knew my first name, then randomly thought to ask one day.
I'm terrible with names. My head swims when I'm trying to remember more than 3 names at a time.

I went to a birthday party from one of my son's friends this past weekend and the birthday kid's Dad introduced himself, and I just totally forgot like 10 minutes later. His name could have been John but I called him Jeff all afternoon. If he doesn't correct me then he's forever Jeff to me.

I'm terrible with names. My head swims when I'm trying to remember more than 3 names at a time.

I went to a birthday party from one of my son's friends this past weekend and the birthday kid's Dad introduced himself, and I just totally forgot like 10 minutes later. His name could have been John but I called him Jeff all afternoon. If he doesn't correct me then he's forever Jeff to me.
kids friends dads/sports dads/etc. is the freaking worst. And I swear the whole world is better at it than me. Last week walking down the soccer game sidelines everyone is like "Hi, catpants!" and I know like two of their names, and only because I've known them for more than this season.

1696307166233.png

I cannot divulge.

That said, the player who always calls someone by the wrong name, English is his second language, so he makes mistakes with certain words and phrases. My favorite is what he calls tournaments:

View attachment 1204512
He figured out the correct spelling.

The name thing is just funny. If anyone involved makes any more of it, they’d be the asshole imo.

Funny you mentioned this! I thought your name was Ryan too lol

I have a group of good friends where everybody has a nickname from 25 years ago.

We were chatting one night, and a real name comes up in the discussion, let's say Michael. One of the guy, who at this point have known him for at least 2-3 years, says very genuinely "who is Michael"?

Nobody is the asshole here, have a good laugh and move on…

Yeah, no one. Steh-vay should have corrected earlier, but this is one of those social things that seems like it will resolve quickly, then lasts longer than anticipated, crosses a perceived embarrassment line, and then goes on almost indefinitely until someone stands up. Totally normal, actually.

Noone is.
The guy doesn't care how you pronounce it so noone is corrected. When I include new players, I always correct the regs when they say it wrong but again they usually don't mispronounce it, they say a completely different name which is a bit confusing at times.

Noone is.
Do you pronounce that noooneeee or just nuun? Possibly nooneh?
Or maybe no-ahnay?

Just having some fun, no need to go thermonuclear with your responses. Sometimes people joke around here.
Most of the time people get mad at jokes and take them very personally, like you’ve hit a hidden target.
I don’t know.

Do you pronounce that noooneeee or just nuun? Possibly nooneh?
Or maybe no-ahnay?

Just having some fun, no need to go thermonuclear with your responses. Sometimes people joke around here.
Most of the time people get mad at jokes and take them very personally, like you’ve hit a hidden target.
I don’t know.
I would've gotten yours even without the help text ;) but my response was to OP as it had some legitimacy but it might be part of a long run joke that I've missed. c*nt.

=P

This is so funny. The lady who cuts my hair called me scott for years. Finally one day I said “you know my name is Jon right”? She says, “OMG why did you never correct me”? My reply “I have been undercover.” Two weeks later I go back to her….. and she calls me scott. I let it go. Whatever.

This is so funny. The lady who cuts my hair called me scott for years. Finally one day I said “you know my name is Jon right”? She says, “OMG why did you never correct me”? My reply “I have been undercover.” Two weeks later I go back to her….. and she calls me scott. I let it go. Whatever.
I’m Jeff, which is the most bland, vanilla, middle aged balding man name possible (I say this because it was literally my mothers intent by naming me that).

We moved a lot and I changed schools a lot, which means as the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Jeff in the class I always had to have a nickname. I haven’t been called Jeff in two decades.

The best one yet was “Tre”.

Started work, my trainer said what’s your name?
Jeff.
Oh no, we already have a Jeff and a Jeffrey.
Okay, Ryan is my middle name.
No, we have a Ryan and a JR. You’re the third Jeff, so we’ll just put Tre on your badge.

This is quite funny. I’m in a work call right now and the speaker introduces the next as “Yohanees”. The next speaker says, “Hi, I’m Yannis”. The spelling is “Ioannis”.

We live in a multicultural world and personally I don’t give a shit what people call me - at least they’re talking to me. What’s worse is being ignored because they can’t make the effort or are embarrassed to even attempt your name.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom