Wedding Day Complications (1 Viewer)

mashoo

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
TL;DR version - Venue chosen for wedding day is family run old school and doesn't have confirmation for my wedding day. Fiancee freaking out.

So in May 2017, my fiancee, her parents and I visit Maui, Hawaii to look for wedding venues. We scouted a couple spots and thought the Kula Botanical Garden would be an excellent spot. So we fill out some form and pay a deposit. We're given a receipt and we assume it's all good. The large gazebo is reserved for 2 pm for April 19, 2018.

I call today to just confirm everything's good but our reservation can't be found. I explain I've the receipt in front of me stating the date that's been reserved for my wedding. I tell them the stamp for the receipt is even on there. All I'm told is it can't be found. This is a small family run business so everything's done old school paper and files. There isn't even email. "It's a small family business so please bear with us". Gimme a break, being a small family business doesn't mean it's acceptable to lose files and confirmations for reservations as important as a wedding. I get asked when we were there to pay the deposit and fill out wedding forms, I tell them May 2017. "Oh". Thanks. Good response.

So I want to speak to the boss and he isn't around. I ask for his number and it won't be given out. I told them I expect a call back. If nothing by Wed I will call back and demand that our receipt be honored and expect our block of time be rebooked for my wedding.

Honestly this is just a rant and I know since my fiancee is freaking out and upset, I've got to stay calm and try to resolve it. But I need to vent a little and if both of us are freaking out and getting mad, it won't resolve anything.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. My fiancee wants to start planning soon and she's also wants to go with Hawaii. I'm sure there are a million venues over there but thanks for the heads up about this one at least. Hope it all gets resolved without issue!

433371-284336.jpg

That blows. Our DJ bailed last minute due to his wife having a kid. He lined us up a substitute but there were some tense times until that was squared away. I get it, can't miss your kid being born but you should be cognizant of your wife's due date as you start booking gigs 6 months out. At least mention it as a possibility, not just call the bride the day before.

Anyway, as you know @davin is in Hawaii. If you need some boots on the ground with this outfit he might be able to hook you up.

Planning a wedding can be a freak out. My wife had issues with the flower people.

I didnt show sufficient anger and concern if I recall.

Planning a wedding can be a freak out. My wife had issues with the flower people.
My wife and I both worked for the florist - she was a designer and I was a delivery truck driver. The only issue we had with the flower people was some of our co-workers getting hammered and having the tops of their dresses fall off on the dance floor.
Funny. I had the same problem.

We’re three months out from our wedding, I can’t imagine this curve ball being thrown. Hoping it all works out for you! I’d insist upon your agreement being honored, or an equivalent venue being provided. Good luck!

Yikes, sorry to hear that. My fiancee wants to start planning soon and she's also wants to go with Hawaii. I'm sure there are a million venues over there but thanks for the heads up about this one at least. Hope it all gets resolved without issue!

I appreciate the support! Honestly the venue is beautiful. Truly beautiful. It's just frustrating to have a reservation "lost". Hopefully the boss calls back before I have to call them.

100%

That blows. Our DJ bailed last minute due to his wife having a kid. He lined us up a substitute but there were some tense times until that was squared away. I get it, can't miss your kid being born but you should be cognizant of your wife's due date as you start booking gigs 6 months out. At least mention it as a possibility, not just call the bride the day before.

Anyway, as you know @davin is in Hawaii. If you need some boots on the ground with this outfit he might be able to hook you up.

I can't imagine a DJ giving you that news the night before. That's a nightmare!

I thought about it but truly want to bother a PCF as a last last last resort.

I had to hold back because I knew I needed to be the calm one in this. Honestly this vent thread helped.

We’re three months out from our wedding, I can’t imagine this curve ball being thrown. Hoping it all works out for you! I’d insist upon your agreement being honored, or an equivalent venue being provided. Good luck!

Appreciate the words! I've come up with a backup plan 1 & 2. Different venue if not resolved by Wednesday and having our officiant scout some beaches as a last resort.

All in all, after a couple hours talking it out, we've both calmed down but still super frustrated

They say the average wedding has three things go sideways.

At ours it started with the Bridesmaids leaving the Maid of Honour behind when they left for the Church. No biggie as they left from the Brides parents home so she got a lift with my Bride and her Dad.
Next came dessert being served that was not the dessert we had selected from our tastings in the lead up to the big day, and the fact my Sister's table was among the last to get their food. Not a huge deal over all, but worthy of a talking to from yours truly.
Lastly, a roll of film went missing from our photographers case. The only picture I am certain of missing out on was one of both families arranged together, on a circular staircase/

Your wedding day will be fine, things will work out in one form or another, and the important bits will get done.

Makes me thing about this.....

I got in all sorts of trouble because I stayed out of most of the wedding planning unless it was something I had to pay for. In fact I raised the point that we could forgo all of the planning and go to the JP at the courthouse, not a good idea. o_O:oops:

Sympathetic anger, worry and concern are all thing that a new married man needs to muster. If you don’t your bride will generate more than needed and send the extra at you.

Why my wife and I did Sandals in Montego Bay and got married on the beach to avoid all the planning BS. Sorry to hear that buddy.

Sympathetic anger, worry and concern are all thing that a new married man needs to muster. If you don’t your bride will generate more than needed and send the extra at you.

Yep, probably one of the MANY, MANY reasons why that one didn't work out. ;)

Tip: Disposable Cameras.

Sure, a wedding photographer can be fantastic. But will he/she take the odd-ball pictures of weird moments with you and/or your friends? Will you later find the photographer snuck upstairs to take a slow-motion roll of film where barbie is struck by a plastic car? Will you get those funny selfies before we could all see how they turned out first?

No! Buy a bunch and put them everywhere. Best photos of a wedding and wedding reception ever.

And since I'm a preachers kid, I've got some insight to good photos. ;)

Got the call today. Reservation was found after looking through the files thoroughly. So we're good to go. Annoyed this even happened but moving onwards!

Hey, that's good news. Congrats!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom