Watches (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
My son graduates from college in MAY. He just turned 20 in SEP. He'll most likely finish with a 3.8 GPA. Needless to say were very proud of him.

We already technically gave him his grad present when we gave him 3k towards a car. However I want to give him a more personal gift. He really likes watches. He owns three or four of them. He prefers an analog watch. He likes some weight to them. He prefers a clean look, nothing flashy.

I would like to keep it in the three hundred dollar range. I haven't started my research yet (well, that's what this post is :) ).

Brands, models, websites to look at? ect.....If someone has a new watch that is in great condition I would consider it if it was a solid deal. Otherwise I think I want to get him something new.

The watches that he currently owns are in the 50-150 range.

Thanks for any assistance.

20161202_164941_zpsbbsqujhe.jpg

I'd consider looking at the Shinola watches from Detroit. Assembled in the USA with (some) Swiss parts. American company with American employees. Entry level pricing looks to be about $550. But very high quality watches and a great story. And from Detroit to boot.

IMG_5992.JPG

Your budget limits the higher end Swiss brands, but, you can find some very nice used Swiss watches--but you need to find a reputable dealer. Baume & Mercier, Tag Hauer and Omega might be possibilities, but more likely Fredrique Constant and such. These are all fine watches and tremendous values.

Another alternative: German watches. Sinn and Nomos make very good watches that could be found used for a very good price. Equal to or sometimes even better than Swiss watches at the same price.

This is largely based on what type of movement you want to have in the watch. There are automatic watches which self wind with movement or manually wind with the turn of the crown, or battery/solar/kinetic watches. I personally like automatic watches based on the inner workings of the watch, but they will require servicing every few years as opposed to a simple battery change for the other types.

If you don't care about manufacturer warranties I'd take a look at Ashford and Jomashop. You can still return defective products to them, and most watches carry a 2-year warranty through their respective sites. Ashford has been amazing in every exchange I've had with them. Jomashop's customer service leaves a little to be desired, but their selection is much larger.

A couple brands that I would recommend in the $300 range are Hamilton and Tissot. You have to keep an eye out for deals but they can be had around that price. A few clean/simple models that I've always liked are Hamilton Khaki Aviation (2 models at $289 at Ashford this week), Hamilton American Classic Valient (silver face model is $299 at Ashford this week, but I much prefer the black face version) and Tissot Heritage Visodate (currently $379 at Jomashop but can be had for $299 on sale.)

These watches can be purchased at a lot of jewelry and department stores as well (Macy's, Jared's, etc) but they will run you a couple hundred dollars more. Some people prefer to have them from an authorized dealer so they have a manufacturer warranty and comfort of being able to take the watch right back to the store if there's an issue, just keep in mind it'll cost ya!

Watches are similar to poker chips for me. It's a vast world with tons of options and everyone has their own preference. They're also addicting, so be careful!

I'd consider looking at the Shinola watches from Detroit. Assembled in the USA with (some) Swiss parts. American company with American employees. Entry level pricing looks to be about $550. But very high quality watches and a great story. And from Detroit to boot.

View attachment 68697

To add onto this, if you have a Nordstrom Rack near you these can generally be found there for 50% off MSRP, and I have found a few at TJ Maxx stores for $199-$299 depending on the model. Shinola also manufactures watches for the brand Filson, and I've seen these at both of the stores above as well.

I think the best place to dive in for research might be the watchuseek forums or the subreddit for watches buying guide (https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/wiki/buyingguide). Quartz or mechanical is probably the first distinction you want to make, after general look and feel.

+1 for watchuseek, but with the warning that it can be very overwhelming. There's a ton of great information and resources though!

@detroitdad as you might recall, I'm a wannabe watch guy...

That said, I agree that high end watches, or entry swiss watches might be out of reach (if buying new). That said, I have been a fan of Citizen watches for some time. I have a number of their eco-drive watches that I cherish. They're quality watches, look great, and the solar powered aspect mean no 'spensive and inconvenient trips to get batteries replaced.

I have purchased a couple Citizens at Kohl's Department Store (not sure if they have any of those in Detroit). But they often have some great deals, especially around the holidays. Reg 25-40% off regular price, then use a 30% off coupon which often come in the mail. I snagged a nice $600 Citizen watch for under $250 once. Deals can be had. Here's the link to their page. LINK

Another resource for nice watches (at screaming deals) is to sometime shop local pawn shops. I've found nice Tags and Movados for $200-300. Granted these were used, but retailed for much more new.

You should be very proud of your son! A watch is a fantastic gift, that he'll likely cherish for many year (probably after your gone). It doesn't need to be a heirloom quality. Best of luck with your search!

View attachment 68697

Beautiful face and with the Detroit connection I'm not sure there is a better suggestion. Extra $250 is justified for sure.

Thanks guys. You have given me a great starting point. After giving him loot for his car. The wife is pretty set at a 300 dollar budget. You know what. I think I'll dip into my poker bankroll for this. I don't do that very often. I think if I can find a 500 dollar range watch this would be as good as reason as any.

Shinola actually has a store in downtown Ann Arbor which is a shit ton closer than heading to Detroit. I'm wondering if the prices would be better at the Detroit brick n mortar or if their all pretty standard pricing. I'll look into that tomorrow.

My plan was to surprise him with this. I'm starting to think a better option might be to take him out for a nice lunch. Then surprise him with a visit to the store and enjoy the time with him while he browses for a high end watch.

Beautiful face and with the Detroit connection I'm not sure there is a better suggestion. Extra $250 is justified for sure.
Before even opening this thread and seeing detroitdad and watches…Shinola was the first thing that came to mind. Definitely would give them a look.

Thanks guys. You have given me a great starting point. After giving him loot for his car. The wife is pretty set at a 300 dollar budget. You know what. I think I'll dip into my poker bankroll for this. I don't do that very often. I think if I can find a 500 dollar range watch this would be as good as reason as any.

Shinola actually has a store in downtown Ann Arbor which is a shit ton closer than heading to Detroit. I'm wondering if the prices would be better at the Detroit brick n mortar or if their all pretty standard pricing. I'll look into that tomorrow.

My plan was to surprise him with this. I'm starting to think a better option might be to take him out for a nice lunch. Then surprise him with a visit to the store and enjoy the time with him while he browses for a high end watch.
I think this is a fantastic idea. Watches are a highly personal choice, stylistically, so surprising him with the visit to the store and letting him choose is a hell of a gift.

Btw, there are a few videos online about the shinola watch production in Detroit. It is pretty inspiring that the brand is making a commitment to an economically depressed area and providing skilled jobs to the community.

I'm a UM alum, so say hi to A2 for me. Good luck!

I've been reading about watches all morning. The Shinola watches seem pretty nice. I'm not sure that the watches in the 550 price range will be to his liking. I still think it will be beneficial for us to hit the local shop and get a feel for them. There are definitely a few that "I" like lol.

I've started browsing some of the other options posted and here are a few things that caught my eye.

Tissot
Men's Swiss PR100

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=0.0|499.99&GENDER=Male&sp=1&spc=62&slotId=12

Tissot
Men's Swiss Tradition Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch 42mm T0636101106700

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=0.0|499.99&GENDER=Male&sp=1&spc=62&slotId=18

Tissot
Men's Swiss Bridgeport Black Leather Strap Watch 40mm T0974101605800

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...R=Male&PRICE=0.0|499.99&sp=1&spc=62&slotId=39

2944206_fpx.jpg
1023520_fpx.jpg
2918023_fpx.jpg

I'm familiar with citizen eco drive watches. I have one and I like it a lot.

We will definitely be considering one. I've been checking a few places today and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

In fact, don't just go to the store in A2...get a factory tour in Detroit!

Lol....I spent two hours on their website this morning and watching videos and shit lol.....

It'll be up to Jake though. I just want to be able to give him options.

The only thing with Shinola is he would have too choose a 550/low entry watch. That is my max budget

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom