USB Ports Patented, Cease & desist (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I have patented flat round gaming tokens.

Tommy, let me know when you want to transfer the site DNS records to me.

regards,

- Alexander Haig

Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that I hereby communicate that I have patented the concept of flat rectangular playing cards composed of flexible plastic.

Going forward the only playing card available to you will be the Tarheel Card, adorned in beautiful light Carolina blue.

My representatives will be by your respective residences to collect your current cards, as they are now non-conforming. If you would like to license my patent for your current cards, you can PayPal me 5.95 per setup and I will send you a printed license and compliance document.

Bad news everyone, I have patented flat gaming and playing surfaces. My attorney will be contacting all of you for royalties whenever you host a game. We can put you on a payment plan - we’ll work it out in private.

regards,

- Alexander Haig

Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that I hereby communicate that I have patented the concept of flat rectangular playing cards composed of flexible plastic.

Going forward the only playing card available to you will be the Tarheel Card, adorned in beautiful light Carolina blue.

My representatives will be by your respective residences to collect your current cards, as they are now non-conforming. If you would like to license my patent for your current cards, you can PayPal me 5.95 per setup and I will send you a printed license and compliance document.
Can I post the dead horse gif?

Or do you have the rights to that as well?

Bad news everyone, I have patented flat gaming and playing surfaces. My attorney will be contacting all of you for royalties whenever you host a game. We can put you on a payment plan - we’ll work it out in private.

regards,

- Alexander Haig

Hi all,

I am sending my representative to negotiate with you on my behalf

2wh8wls1NmVxkzTC4Z.gif

Hi all,

I knew this day was coming. I’m gonna felt mine tomorrow and pay you squat. Come get me.

Well, looks like I need to head to TJ Maxx and get an outfit going.
How many wardrobe changes will you be making at the Degen in Dallas? Make sure that your rider includes a dressing room at @CraigT78 place, with plenty of closet space and good lighting for applying your stage makeup. And green M&Ms. Always have green M&Ms in your rider.

How many wardrobe changes will you be making at the Degen in Dallas? Make sure that your rider includes a dressing room at @CraigT78 place, with plenty of closet space and good lighting for applying your stage makeup. And green M&Ms. Always have green M&Ms in your rider.
I use the Van Halen method with my riders. I demand only the blue M&Ms removed from my dressing room. If it's done, I can trust they read the whole thing....

So I checked my mail and was unpleasantly surprised with a cease and desist letter. I am apparently infringing on US patents 8,888,101, 9,114,314 and D720,019. One of these patents shows USB ports integrated into the edge of a poker table, which I also sell. I briefly reviewed the documents and see that the way I install them is different than the patent, where in the patent they are connected in series, whereas mine are in parallel going to a central hub. I wasn't even aware something like this could be patented considering I just pretty much buy wires and a hub and plug them into the table.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8888101B1/en

I've removed the options from my website for the time being, since I'm in semi-panic mode. I'm not looking for any legal advice, but the community here has always been very helpful with insight and opinions. Any suggestions on how to proceed is welcome. I'm doing to do some homework over the weekend to find out if I should be seeking legal council.

I say semi-panic since I can just stop selling this feature, since the letter from this lawyer has asked me to cease and desist. It's just unsettling to receive this kind of letter when I'm just a small business trying to make a living. I respect someone trying to protect their patent and all, but it's left me feeling uneasy.

Wow sorry to hear this is happening to you! My wife is an attorney. She's not in patent law though, more contract law, and has experience with estate planning. I'll ask her about it, but I don't except much helpful information. It does sound promising that your design is different enough to not be infringing on the patent...but what do I know.

Thanks for you sharing your experience here and keep up the great work on the tables! Best of luck on this legal matter.

Last edited:
Just realized that he claims you are infringing on 3 patents, not just the USB one. Here is a link to the 3rd patent, filed in December, 2014 for those interested, and the relevant images of his "invention".

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/33/cf/bd/324078dfabebde/USD720019.pdf

View attachment 702909View attachment 702910View attachment 702911View attachment 702912View attachment 702913View attachment 702914View attachment 702915
LMFAO...he actually patented the idea of a card table with folding legs?!?

BRB, I am patenting the toilet, the keyboard, and the concept of a beverage holder that I will christen as a “Smithcup”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just realized that he claims you are infringing on 3 patents, not just the USB one. Here is a link to the 3rd patent, filed in December, 2014 for those interested, and the relevant images of his "invention".

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/33/cf/bd/324078dfabebde/USD720019.pdf

View attachment 702909View attachment 702910View attachment 702911View attachment 702912View attachment 702913View attachment 702914View attachment 702915
Shit. I'm gonna get a lawyer letter... I have a table that looks just like that!

Errr. I mean. I did. Until... That tragic... Boating accident... With my table.

So putting a wire around the perimeter of the bottom of a poker table is the basis of patent D720, 019?

How in the world was he awarded a patent for that?

So putting a wire around the perimeter of the bottom of a poker table is the basis of patent D720, 019?

How in the world was he awarded a patent for that?
I don’t think he should stop there. He should patent the idea of Christmas tree decorations as a derivative of the original patent. That also involves putting wires around things. Fucker is gonna be rich beyond words.

Ya, I’m not a lawyer, but the cease and desist letter is such BS... they are trying to bully you, to get you to stop making a better product, to hurt you, their competitor. And if you choose to fight it, you will likely spend far more on attorneys and such than you’d likely make in profit from USB add ons.. so they’re counting on you just complying. But as others have said, their patent might be BS, and you might actually win in court? they might actually very much NOT want a challenge to their patent... So it’s a game of brinksmanship.. who can make the other think they’re willing to go the distance...? I know what I’d do here, but I also think the advice to get a patent IP attorney to draft a response is probably the safest path, to protect yourself And business.

Well, looks like I need to head to TJ Maxx and get an outfit going.
Rebranded and called TK Maxx in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom