Internally Routed USB Upgrade (2022) (1 Viewer)

Samoth311

Pair
Reaction score
I'm hosting a meetup game in May and wanted to upgrade my table with internally routed USB charging cables. Here’s a link to the original table build if you missed it. This was a relatively inexpensive and quick project.

Supply list:
  1. 3-foot USB 3.0 extension cables (x10)
  2. 60W 6-Port USB Fast Charger (x2)
  3. 8 Outlet surge protector/power strip (x1)
  4. Rubber hole grommets (x6) (2 used)
After disassembling the table, I started by laying out the cables. These will be hidden and the final path/design doesn't matter. What matters is that the cables end up being the same length when they pass through the hole I will drill for them in the center.

2022-04-07 16.27.25.jpg

I then traced the paths and drilled my hole:

2022-04-07 17.04.46.jpg

I made a quick router jig to give the embedded female ends a perfect fit.

2022-04-09 10.35.02.jpg

2022-04-09 14.55.32.jpg

I then used the router to trace the paths I had previously marked--just deep enough for the cables. I did this x10 times around the table.

2022-04-10 11.49.12.jpg

Since I was doing this anyway, I decided to go ahead and also internally route the power cable for my LED lights as well. I then used wood glue to secure the USB cables in place.

2022-04-12 20.07.34.jpg

Underneath, I mounted the USB charging bricks, the power strip, and the LED light power adapter with strong mounting tape. (I'm also taking the opportunity to patch some old screw holes that I will later re-stain and re-polly).

2022-04-13 19.56.17.jpg

I bolt the playing surface and rail back on and I'm done! The end product looks very clean and not much to snag underneath.

2022-04-13 22.09.31.jpg

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:
You have ballz of steel posting this with Gorilla Glen lurking about. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I expect you'll be receiving a cease and desist letter in 3, 2, 1...
Let's cock block that shit and tell him the plans came from Belgium.
Can't wait to receive a C&D letter on my home turf and tell him where to stuff it.

This is a DIY soultion not a commercial venture...Gorilla Glen can go pound sand if he want to stir in that pot too

This is very well done… but I do have to ask, why do you guys want phones at your tables? I discourage this as much as possible.

A good question. It's about practical convenience. For this game, we're going to be playing all day for two days and two more half days. People are going to have their phones. Also....any excuse for a new project.

A good question. It's about practical convenience. For this game, we're going to be playing all day for two days and two more half days. People are going to have their phones. Also....any excuse for a new project.
The latter part, I feel that. ;)

My solution is I have a charging station over by the food/bar. Not shitting on your work by any means there, it looks awesome. Different strokes and all.

The latter part, I feel that. ;)

My solution is I have a charging station over by the food/bar. Not shitting on your work by any means there, it looks awesome. Different strokes and all.

I just hand out power banks to players when they need them. I have about 5 of those things laying around. But I do like the USB table integration. I might do something similar for my next build.

I just hand out power banks to players when they need them. I have about 5 of those things laying around. But I do like the USB table integration. I might do something similar for my next build.
They on TikTok while playing or something? ;)

Unless your wife is about to go into labour my policy is no phones at the table. One guy is a realtor and we love him but we’re always telling him to put his phone away. I’m thinking a 25¢ drop into BB jackpot for every offense.

Again, I still love the craftsmanship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom