Top 10 most annoying behaviors at the poker table..... (1 Viewer)

Strategy-wise, i get annoyed at overfolding nits multi-way that don’t float their share so either I have to overdefend to get the unit up to MDF or we all get run over.

Play-wise, people who play slowly bc constantly distracted

Lastly, people who steal my dumb jokes or my three finger check or any of the dumb shit I do. Get your own thing

Check
1575198139572.png

I got a guy who is never paying attention, always talking, always on the phone, and when it comes around to him, you sometimes have to yell. “Your turn”

then when you finally get his attention, he goes Hollywood, slowly checking each card and then counting his chips and acting like it’s the final table of the WSOP, only to fold.

I got a guy who is never paying attention, always talking, always on the phone, and when it comes around to him, you sometimes have to yell. “Your turn”

then when you finally get his attention, he goes Hollywood, slowly checking each card and then counting his chips and acting like it’s the final table of the WSOP, only to fold.
Buy a shot clock. That’s what we did and it’s been the best thing for our game. 30 seconds and then you’re folded.

Datexx Time Cube The Miracle Cube Timer, 10, 20, 30 und 60 Seconds, for HIIT Routines, Game Timer, Workout Timer, Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M047SKR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3cc5DbW09ZQZ2

When I bet pot in a self dealt game and the rest of the table just sits there staring at me like idiots. For f*ck's sake people, the pot's not gonna count itself!!

Just kidding... ;)

I find it annoying when people have a really stupid and overly fancy way of throwing/spinning their cards everytime they fold.

It's always the young dudes that are shit, but think they are great. I swear they practice their fold action in the mirror.

I find it annoying when people have a really stupid and overly fancy way of throwing/spinning their cards everytime they fold.

It's always the young dudes that are shit, but think they are great. I swear they practice their fold action in the mirror.

How you fold your hand is a very important part of table image though.

We have a guy that misdeals at least twice every night. What’s annoying is that he acts like he’s a professional dealer AND professional poker player!!

Other than shitting my pants, (which I've only done twice in my adult life, never voluntarily, and never at the poker table), I must confess to a few of the annoying behaviors listed above, which I now promise never to do again:
  • very infrequent rabbit hunting (with the agreement of EVERYONE at the table),
  • peeking at my first card before the second card is dealt, (but the first card is still on the table and visible),
  • betting with as many of my fracs as I can (especially when the host provides every rebuy with a full ration of quarters, even on the person's eighth rebuy).
But the one that confuses me as to why it is such a big annoyance, and that I freely confess to doing continually, is the stacks of ten thing. Why is that such a big no-no? It makes for easier counting IMO, and the stacks don't get so high that they make it difficult to peek at my cards on the other side of a great wall of chips. Hoping for some enlightenment here, thanks.

There's been at least one major one mentioned that kills me and that's dealing out the flop, turn and river all at once. Seriously if you're that lazy you have issues.

Some more in no particular order.

1) players who look at their cards every single time the action comes to them and multiple times while deciding to play. If you can't remember your cards just pack it up. Some of this is just slow play issues.

2) hiding your large chips, have several guys that think they're sneaky I guess hiding chips behind or under their stacks. Some will sit with a chip in their hand so you can rarely see it

3) guys who count out a bet or call, pick it up and fold their hand...why...

4) always bitching that you raise their BB

There's more I'm sure but these are the fresh ones in my mind.

I’m also looking forward to hearing why stacks of 10 is a big annoyance.

Non-standard, sure, but why annoying? Unless maybe there are like 17 stacks?

I typically stack in 10-counts with large denom chips either in front or on top, and am almost never asked "how much is that?" It's perfectly clear.

And if it tilts you, so much the better. Free bonus for me.

Last edited:
I’m also looking forward to hearing why stacks of 10 is a big annoyance.

Non-standard, sure, but why annoying? Unless maybe there are like 17 stacks?
For me, those smaller stacks just take up more space, especially when those people are the chip leader, never at least trying to semi tower them. They always have them so spread out either in stacks of 5, 8, 10, whatever their total count is that makes all stacks even. Plus they still always have to recount them when they're making a call. They should know how much they have if they make so many even stacks.

There's been at least one major one mentioned that kills me and that's dealing out the flop, turn and river all at once. Seriously if you're that lazy you have issues.

I only do it when I'm on the button dealing, and I have to really go to the restroom.

Ah, I get it- thanks.
stacks of 5 or 8 would be just silly.
And if takes up an unreasonable amount of real estate (I’m imagining the chip leader with 20 stacks in front of him) that’s probably seriously crowding his neighbor.

I occasionally play with a guy who is really loud and boisterous, good natured trash talk, etc. I wish I could turn his volume knob down.

Best though is he just loves to make huge Hero Calls. Never a raise, mind you, just calling a huge bet when he is on a draw. that’s lovely to play against, but maaan does he get annoying when he hits his long-shot draw! It’s like he truly thinks he made the right play.

sorry about that guy. He is very young at about 23 and his poker experience is very limited. About 50% of it is a one night in Vegas with my friend Matt on a layover flight home from Cali where I suspect he ran like God at a 1/2 game at O’sheas and concluded he was a savant. That’s not his fault Matt is a crazy lucky coach.

I did tell him tonight I’m going to teach him how to shuffle. Whatever he was doing with the cards is closer to what my 4 year old calls “mingling the cards” when we play go fish. Like a face up deck wash in your hands. o_O
He seems like a nice kid but definitely out of place in a $100 buy in game! $30 or $40 ok... probably all I should be playing for as well, taking the cards off the table to shuffle, cutting his own shuffle. Taking 15 seconds everytime to place the deck perfectly on the cut card, only for the next person to pick them back up and do their own cut... being told over and over and over it's on you!!! He definitely needs to learn table skills, the clock is never on your side especially with 20 minute rounds and a guy that costs the table minutes every single rotation needs to learn a bit more before entering a larger game... we all had to learn, but there is a time and place. He literally seemed lost the entire tournament! I agree with @krafticus it was a bit frustrating! For the record Patrick most of your regulars were great competition!! That gentleman just has a lot to learn still!

Player who plays online poker on his smartphone while at the table, cant follow the game because he is playing headsup online :)

Players who throw the chips in with an arch mostly 1-2 chips, like stephen curry shoots his 3s or salt bae salts his steak

Lots of good ones here! Sorry I won't give quote credit but these are what really grind my gears (some already mentioned):
  1. Farting at the table, or not bathing in the past 48 hours so that your swamp ass comes out every time you reach for chips
  2. Announcing "set" when it's really trips
  3. Carrying on about how you played that hand 10 mins ago, going over every thought you claim to have had, every calculation, putting me on an exact hand - please, we don't care that read a book, and you sound desperate for respect, it's pathetic.
  4. Side conversations during a hand, with players in the hand, while you're not in the hand!
  5. Rabbit hunting - especially by someone who was not in the last street
  6. Asking "how much is it" every time
  7. Being rude to the dealer
  8. Playing every hand and then whining about how you lose with AK every time
  9. Min-raising from the blinds
  10. Human rain delays

But the one that confuses me as to why it is such a big annoyance, and that I freely confess to doing continually, is the stacks of ten thing. Why is that such a big no-no? It makes for easier counting IMO, and the stacks don't get so high that they make it difficult to peek at my cards on the other side of a great wall of chips. Hoping for some enlightenment here, thanks.

Takes up too much space, harder to count, and just plain looks ugly and lame.

Any set is also trips, since 'trips' is really just shorthand for 'triple' (triple jacks, or trip jacks). You can even have trips on the board with none in your hand.

But trips is not always a set (which requires a pocket pair).

Any set is also trips, since 'trips' is really just shorthand for 'triple' (triple jacks, or trip jacks). You can even have trips on the board with none in your hand.

But trips is not always a set (which requires a pocket pair).
Doesn't bother me either way which word is used since they're both another shortened way of saying three of a kind. Not sure how people can be that nitpicky.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom