Top 10 most annoying behaviors at the poker table..... (1 Viewer)

Interesting. I was just confused by the cup thing. Figured it was slang.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone chewing tobacco before. Must be an American thing

Old gripe from my first home game where we had one player who would hoard all of the fracs in stacks of ten. Felting him was like winning the jackpot at a .25 slot machine. He drove me away from dice chips.

We had another player who would constantly re-buy for $5 and ship it whenever the opportunity was there for a triple up.

Sounds like you should be thanking this guy.

I would rather attend a game that has Paulson or custom CPC chips, but for me, the group of players is more important. Both the weekly $50 tournament and the .50/.50 home game I play in use dice chips. The colors have different values, which I don't mind. Prize money and the bank are always spot on, so chip security has not been an issue.

Most annoying? Players who smoke and drink until they’re pretty much comatose, have to be told four times each betting round that it’s their action, are too far out of it to fold their crap hand to pressure, then make their two-outer on the river (even worse when they then brag about how good their play was).

Not with Doritos per se but with other snacks like preztel sticks, lays, etc, yes!
Players who smoke and drink until they’re pretty much comatose, ...

Combining the worst of these two worlds: I played in a social hall cash game (ridiculously soft) which included a guy who became blind drunk.

This dude started shoving almost every hand, either preflop or on the flop, because he was incapable of doing anything else, with almost any holding. He must have lost this way a good 6 out of 7 tries, rebuying each time he lost for the table minimum. Meanwhile, he was also being belligerent and insulting to everyone at the table, at least as best as he could, slurring his words unintelligibly.

A bunch of us basically said to the host: While we would be happy to keep taking this guy’s dough, he’s way too drunk to play. He then lost it and started causing a scene, which included dumping the remains of a bag of potato chips onto my (by now huge) stack and the felt around it, and then taking a swing at another player... which was in fact the last straw, and he was not just booted from that game but banned from the venue (a VFW hall).

As much as the guy himself, I kind of blamed the host for not putting an end to things sooner.

Most annoying? Players who smoke and drink until they’re pretty much comatose, have to be told four times each betting round that it’s their action, are too far out of it to fold their crap hand to pressure, then make their two-outer on the river (even worse when they then brag about how good their play was).

Sure hope this wasn't me, I was feeling pretty good at my bday game. No matter how good I feel I'm pretty sure I know when it's on me. Truth be told, I dont generally fold my crap to pressure after one drink.

1-10: People who just don't get basic poker etiquette, or norms.
Like hiding your big chips behind the small ones
cards behind the chips,
asking if they can cash out after a big win and then buy back in.
People who are really drunk or high (but hey they always bust and rebuy and bust again so I won't complain)

Man sometimes playing with other college students can be frustrating.
But hey at the end of the day its fun as hell, and I love poker, so its a win all around.

Sure hope this wasn't me, I was feeling pretty good at my bday game. No matter how good I feel I'm pretty sure I know when it's on me. Truth be told, I dont generally fold my crap to pressure after one drink.
Nope, not you! Actually thought you played well, and remained relatively coherent throughout!

The biggest pet peeve at my home game is:
When it's time for a player to act, he doesn't say anything, then the next person calls or bets, etc, then getting the " it was my turn"
Well, if you want some time to think about what to do, call Time so the next seat won't bet over you.

Speaking of which, does anyone use the Time chips like they do in WSOP tournaments. I actually thought of introducing those, then have a 30 second run down clock for that person to act, or have to use another time chip. Max of 4 time chips per player for our 4 hour games.

Thoughts?

Speaking of which, does anyone use the Time chips like they do in WSOP tournaments. I actually thought of introducing those, then have a 30 second run down clock for that person to act, or have to use another time chip. Max of 4 time chips per player for our 4 hour games.

Thoughts?
We implemented time chips long ago, very similar to how you mentioned above -- 30 seconds for each chip, 4 chips issued to each player (one per estimated hour of tournament length). Every player got a free 30 seconds to act before their time chip countdown started. This was easy to track for our group, since we use dedicated dealers.

However, we never ruled a player's hand dead, even if he/she ran out of time chips. Once out of time chips, the amount of time used kept accumulating, and following the hand, the offending player was penalized 5 minutes rail time for every 30 seconds used for which they had no time chips remaining. Worked like a charm, dramatically speeding up the routine play and eliminating the grandstanding and hollywooding by slowpoke players.

We still have the rule on the books, but after three seasons of having time chips in play, they were really no longer necessary in our events. During those three years, I think just one player was ever penalized with rail time, and I'd guess that maybe a total of eight or so time chips were played over the course of those 30 tournaments (and half of those at one time by the lone player who was penalized).

We've probably played 60 or 70 tournaments since, with no time issues. Just the construct of tournament time chips will speed up play, even if they never actually get used. I highly recommend them.

I was invited to a home game a couple of months ago and promptly spilled my beer twice on the table topper.

I just hope they call my friend back!

So, most annoying thing is when you autodisqualify from further invites.

I got a new one after last night.

One of the guys who hasn’t played in a while bitched constantly about the “slippery cards” (Desjgn), my table surface (topper) and the chips being hard to distinguish.

Now yeah, it’s not a Chanman and the chips are only yin yangs (the nicer cash ones). But these are guys that play on wood tables, use dice chips, and bent paper Gemaco or bicycle cards from the dollar store. So hearing him complain when I hosted, made him a drink and set everything up beautifully for the evening pisses me off.

So yeah, complaining about the equipment when you’ve contributed f-all is annoying.

One of the guys who hasn’t played in a while bitched constantly about the “slippery cards” (Desjgn), my table surface (topper) and the chips being hard to distinguish.

Now yeah, it’s not a Chanman and the chips are only yin yangs (the nicer cash ones). But these are guys that play on wood tables, use dice chips, and bent paper Gemaco or bicycle cards from the dollar store. So hearing him complain when I hosted, made him a drink and set everything up beautifully for the evening pisses me off.

So yeah, complaining about the equipment when you’ve contributed f-all is annoying.
I would probably tell him that if he doesn't like the set up he can get the F out, sorry bout your buy in. But I'm also a bit defensive lol I'd be pretty offended if someone was that rude!

If you don't host, you don't get to complain. I cannot stand people that bitch about cards/chips/tables at my rake free game with free booze. They go to the bottom the list and fall off.

I was invited to a home game a couple of months ago and promptly spilled my beer twice on the table topper.

I just hope they call my friend back!

So, most annoying thing is when you autodisqualify from further invites.

You know what? This wouldn’t necessarily auto-dq you from my game... it would all depend how you handled it.
If you said “WTF is wrong with me tonight?!?”, helped clean up the spill and most importantly did whatever it took to no longer have a beer near the table (including stopping drinking beer if that’s what it took)... I’d invite you back.

And if the next time you showed up with a spill-proof kid’s sippy-cup, that would make sure the invite stuck. :)

Sit to his left and 3bet 100% of his opens. Use the money for a chanman and some china clays.

Sit to his left and 3bet 100% of his opens. Use the money for a chanman and some china clays.

haha, Well I took $60 off of him. Which in a $20 buy in game is pretty good.

and I do have some nice Dias De Los Muertos on the way, but the Chanman is waiting until next year. Already visited Tony to talk about it.

04E24AD4-B731-4D2F-9360-63065CBF3FAE.gif

I tell them that a bad craftsman always blames his tools. Then when they get mad and say “are you calling me a bad player?” I say “no, it’s the cards and the chips, I’m sure your a great player otherwise”.

Top 10?... hmmm... (at the table in home games, and maybe not the right order)

10. Calling/betting with more chips than needed (i.e. a $5 bet becomes 20 $0.25 chips). I know I know... we should love chips... it's just.. time consuming...

9. Poor management of cards: hiding them, waving/flashing them, bending them, not protecting your hand...

8. Two or more players making change between each other and posting a call 'between' them. So instead of two players posting 2.50 each, there's a single 5 between them... "Is that a min raise? Who posted that?" etc.

7. Slow rolling, especially when you know you have the winner, or the loser... just... flip or fold please... let's get to the next hand...

6. Telling you to hurry up when you're thinking because earlier you told them it's their turn when they weren't paying attention. Or calling the clock after 20 seconds when you're risking a decent chunk of chips. Especially if you're perceived as a "thinking player" when in fact most of the time you act very quickly, but when you have to think you think.

5. Derogatory speech. Especially criticizing the play of someone who just lost a bunch. They lost their chips, no need to rub it in!

4. Complaining about the house rules, cards, starting stack count, levels etc after we've started playing. If something is important to you, please ask before we start, especially if it's a tournament where we can't just change things whenever we feel like it. It's that one guy (or two) who does it, frequently. Does he host? No. And if you complain about the music!...

3. Not acting because they're not paying attention. Especially if when prompted they insist on finishing their conversation (or whatever) before getting back to playing. And get off the damn phone please!

2. Having to explain what a min-raise is for the millionth time (no, it's not "It's double").

1. Talking about a hand when you're not heads-up in it. We win by being better and paying attention, please don't do the job for the less good players for them, especially if you're not in the hand. "Oooh shit! Who's got the nut flush!?" Just, don't... (This includes actions after you've folded when seeing what hit the board after)

----

Off the table I agree with some others;

- not responding to invites at all (uhm, it takes like a second say "no" or "yes")
- saying 'yes' then canceling last minute. Just say 'maybe' then, so the host knows
- showing up way late, again without forewarning

You know what? This wouldn’t necessarily auto-dq you from my game... it would all depend how you handled it.
If you said “WTF is wrong with me tonight?!?”, helped clean up the spill and most importantly did whatever it took to no longer have a beer near the table (including stopping drinking beer if that’s what it took)... I’d invite you back.

And if the next time you showed up with a spill-proof kid’s sippy-cup, that would make sure the invite stuck. :)

Oh, I definitely moved the beer away from the table to a side table. Totally cleaned it up.

Did well in the tournament, and stuck around to serve as shuffler for the last two (including host). Then donked away $40 in the follow-up cash game. Everyone was cool about it - still felt horrible. As I was leaving he said he’d invite me to the next game - but he doesn’t have my contact, and I’ve not gotten word through the friend that brought me to the game.

Really sucks. I’d love to get back into that game as they take it more seriously than my usual group of friends. In that group, maybe 2 or 3 players, a couple know how to play, and a couple of fish.

Would love to get back, but not sure how to approach it with the friend who brought me in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom