This is how I keep track of statistics, any more ideas? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hi, this is how I keep up with poker statistics when I host my home games. Basically I keep track of who played and the win rate depending if they were able to redeem money (normally 1st, 2nd & 3rd place). I like the idea of the win rate which is just a ratio between games won / games played. the letter "X" means that the player played but did not won any money.

do you have any more ideas to improve this record to make it more fun and interesting?
thanks!!

1670430492314.png

Some players don't want to know how badly they are doing. Use with caution.
This is the first thing I think whoever I see people keeping statistics of home games.
The truth is that most players are losing players but most of them think they’re at least break-even. If you reveal to them how much money they’re losing every month, some of them might decide to keep their money.

ok so this is not a good idea at all in your opinion?
then how could we make this more interesting, fun and motivatational?

I keep stats for my poker league, but the only cumulative stats that I show are how many league points people have earned, (based on some complicated calculations of finishing positions combined with attendance, so even losers have some points if they always come). Definitely not a fan of showing anything by way of total won/lost.

Hi, this is how I keep up with poker statistics when I host my home games. Basically I keep track of who played and the win rate depending if they were able to redeem money (normally 1st, 2nd & 3rd place). I like the idea of the win rate which is just a ratio between games won / games played. the letter "X" means that the player played but did not won any money.

do you have any more ideas to improve this record to make it more fun and interesting?
thanks!!

View attachment 1036013
Why turn something fun into something like this. I would never show this to my players or track stats in the first place.

Only exception would be points for a league.

Why turn something fun into something like this. I would never show this to my players or track stats in the first place.

Only exception would be points for a league.
that is fine and that is why I wanted to show this to you guys.
can you please elaborate on how to calculate points for a league?

that is fine and that is why I wanted to show this to you guys.
can you please elaborate on how to calculate points for a league?
There are as many opinions on this as people:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ints-structure-for-a-tournament-league.61651/

For my current league, the winner gets 1pt for each buyin in the tournament (so 13 players and 2 rebuys, winner gets 15 points).
The next positions get a percentage of the 1st place points based on the following chart:
1670434795184.png

Everyone else gets 1 point for attending. After a year of this I think it might slightly over-reward getting 2nd at a big event as opposed to first at a smaller one but it's worked pretty well.

I would never keep track of cash games. I would only track tournament results if it’s a league of some sort.

Agree with others, I wouldn’t track my cash games, but tournaments seems different, especially if you’re running a points league - then you kinda have to.

This is the first thing I think whoever I see people keeping statistics of home games.
The truth is that most players are losing players but most of them think they’re at least break-even. If you reveal to them how much money they’re losing every month, some of them might decide to keep their money.

Interestingly, one of of looser players started tracking himself this year and recently revealed that he was down almost $15k this year across all our home games and club games and would be taking a break from poker! He did sign up for my home game this week, so maybe he figured losing money > no poker afterall (or maybe that just means I’m a shittier player than him, so it’s a +EV game for him! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: )

Historically, members who track results and try to “movitiate their donators to play better” often end up in threads asking what hosts do about players who have stopped rsvping to games or flaking out when they said they were coming.

Normally the narrative is “I had a great group of 16 players but now I can barely manage 5 or 6”.

Points are fine but only use it for free roll purposes. If it's for bragging rights you're just rubbing bad players face in it.

Successful long term games are built around making the game fun and enjoyable for the least skilled and least profitable players. If they have fun, the game will be fun and it will last a long time.

This is the tournament rating system that I came up with a month or so ago. I was trying to figure out how to apply an ELO rating to my players but there is way too much math involved with that. So, I just started playing "guess and check" with different point systems until I found one that worked consistently. It took me about 10 tries with ratings and point systems and entering all the info into the "sim" tournaments before I came up with one that worked well. I made 6 game simulations to show how ratings would go up or down depending on how each player placed versus how they placed the previous games and which players they beat and which ones beat them. Then I would adjust the amount of points and how they were earned until everything fell into place and made sense. I kept a couple "good" players, a couple "bad" players and made the rest place randomly. Also, I wanted lower rated players to gain more points when placing better than higher rated players. I also wanted it to be easier to increase your rating than to have it go down. I know this looks simple but it was a lot of trial and error before the numbers made sense and worked the way I wanted.

If you track one player's progress through the 6 games, you can see that their end rating fairly accurately describes their tournament performance. You'll also notice that lower rated players get a nice bump in points when beating higher rated players and the opposite is true if a higher rated player loses to players with a lower rating. The system isn't perfect but I think it works well enough for me and my guys.

Also, I agree that a player's rating should not be posted for all to see. It will just embarrass the weaker players and they will stop coming. I use this system for tournaments so that the strong players can talk crap to each other and work to increase their rating. Every player knows about the system but if they want to know their rating, they need to ask me. They aren't allowed to ask about other players' ratings. If two or three people want to share their rating with each other for bragging/shit talking purposes then they can. But, more casual players don't have to be a part of that. I made this more for myself than for anyone else, mainly because I love statistics and creating systems like this to watch individual players' progress to a higher (or lower) rating.

You are more than welcome to steal this design if you want, or use it as a baseline and tweak it to your preference. You can also let me know if you think of something that might make it work better or easier.

1672689422446.png

This is the tournament rating system that I came up with a month or so ago. I was trying to figure out how to apply an ELO rating to my players but there is way too much math involved with that. So, I just started playing "guess and check" with different point systems until I found one that worked consistently. It took me about 10 tries with ratings and point systems and entering all the info into the "sim" tournaments before I came up with one that worked well. I made 6 game simulations to show how ratings would go up or down depending on how each player placed versus how they placed the previous games and which players they beat and which ones beat them. Then I would adjust the amount of points and how they were earned until everything fell into place and made sense. I kept a couple "good" players, a couple "bad" players and made the rest place randomly. Also, I wanted lower rated players to gain more points when placing better than higher rated players. I also wanted it to be easier to increase your rating than to have it go down. I know this looks simple but it was a lot of trial and error before the numbers made sense and worked the way I wanted.

If you track one player's progress through the 6 games, you can see that their end rating fairly accurately describes their tournament performance. You'll also notice that lower rated players get a nice bump in points when beating higher rated players and the opposite is true if a higher rated player loses to players with a lower rating. The system isn't perfect but I think it works well enough for me and my guys.

Also, I agree that a player's rating should not be posted for all to see. It will just embarrass the weaker players and they will stop coming. I use this system for tournaments so that the strong players can talk crap to each other and work to increase their rating. Every player knows about the system but if they want to know their rating, they need to ask me. They aren't allowed to ask about other players' ratings. If two or three people want to share their rating with each other for bragging/shit talking purposes then they can. But, more casual players don't have to be a part of that. I made this more for myself than for anyone else, mainly because I love statistics and creating systems like this to watch individual players' progress to a higher (or lower) rating.

You are more than welcome to steal this design if you want, or use it as a baseline and tweak it to your preference. You can also let me know if you think of something that might make it work better or easier.

View attachment 1051467
Man, thanks for the detail here. without a doubt this is a different approach.

I do have a question, I like how you show progress and have the rule of points. However, what is the point of making it more complex? so for instance the adding or substracting points from players better or worse than you... I just think that complicates thinks a little bit PLUS you have to keep track of who beat who which is hard to track.

I do think this is nice tho, pretty nice actually. I might make mine like yours but just with the base points and assign X points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom