Sun-Fly 43mm hybrid design - looking for feedback (4 Viewers)

One vote for the new 'something completely different' spiral'ish design. Love how the rim design echos the feathers in the bird head.

But they're a little monochromatic for me. Perhaps you can add accent colors inside the swoops? Would also keep working on the edge design a bit. Also love BigTater's idea of the spiral watermark.

Ummm, to me, the new mark-up looks completely derivative of the European Poker Tour ceramics.

Yea, that was the original inspiration for these. I made a couple of update to see how they would look, not set on the colors but just something to see what they would look like. Right now I am leaning toward the BJ style.

design2-2.png

The extra colors added will help, but those base colors (especially as originally presented) will be very difficult to tell apart on the felt or in stacks, especially in less-than-optimum lighting conditions. The green/gray/lavender/blue hues are hard to tell apart unless there are some stark differences (like dark green and light gray and dark purple, etc.). The accent colors help on the faces, but won't help in stacks.

Ummm, to me, the new mark-up looks completely derivative of the European Poker Tour ceramics.
That's a fair point, but you seemed completely on-board with the first design, which wasn't even derivative of bud jones, it WAS bud jones.
Lord knows, I can't bash anybody's designs, because I'm just not artistic like that. But I've been waiting for somebody to do something unique with these 43mm hybrids, so when somebody artistic gets involved, I'm on the edge of my seat.
Keep working on it, Woody!

added a little more to the 25 and removed the background on the label.
Love the label! Resembles the speed you're throwing iterations at the crowd. :)
If you'd like to see them in stacks - preferably when things slow down and I don't face 4 designs per hour - drop me a note!

Love the label! Resembles the speed you're throwing iterations at the crowd. :)
If you'd like to see them in stacks - preferably when things slow down and I don't face 4 designs per hour - drop me a note!

If you could do the latest mock-up that would be great. Do you want the AI files?

If you could do the latest mock-up that would be great. Do you want the AI files?
Ai or any raster format - I'm fine with either. Are there rim graphics yet?

Edit: Home time right now; back at a computer in ~2 hours :unsure::coffee:

Last edited:
That's a fair point, but you seemed completely on-board with the first design, which wasn't even derivative of bud jones, it WAS bud jones. Lord knows, I can't bash anybody's designs....

I'm not bashing that EPT-like design -- in fact, I like it. I just pointed that out because he called it "something completely different", so I thought he might have forgotten about or never seen the EPTs.

Last edited:
I'm not bashing that EPT-like design -- in fact, I like it. I just pointed that out because he said he called it "something completely different", so I thought he might have forgotten about or never seen the EPTs.

Wasn't trying to take credit for the design concept, was indicating "something completely different" compared to the BJ design. Most of the things I create can be traced back to something I have seen, liked, and have attempted to replicate.

You won't get any anti BJ love from me either.....in any iteration.....real or fake
20170714_163641.jpg

What about dropping blurple spots in place of the dark green spots and moving to a single dark green door between those two on the T25

Yea, that was the original inspiration for these. I made a couple of update to see how they would look, not set on the colors but just something to see what they would look like. Right now I am leaning toward the BJ style.

View attachment 138553

I like these, but I've always liked this over the BJ look. To help distinguish them in stacks, I wonder what it would look like if you swapped the colours on the 25, 500, and 5000 chip (so, dark face & light accent/edge) and used white denoms with a thin black border on the face.

Dang, those look great! I like the label with no background. (y) :thumbsup:

Yes they are. I might have to price out a set from Sal. I did say I was going to hold off on buying anything. Damnt........I've got the bug.
I just added on to my set of Mayfair's, it was $1.02/chip with edges aligned. I don't know if there a surcharge for design or something custom, but my understanding is that these are all print on demand so I would assume no once everything is nailed down?

I bet Woody could give you an idea since he's in the midst of it. I'm curious myself what a new design might run without group buy pricing.

I haven't really checked out pricing yet, working on the design first. I am liking the chip lineup, not 100% set on the 25 yet, trying out some different colors below. what do you think?

43mm chips15.png

Here are a few options: I was staying away from yellow, gray, black and blue since those colors are already used a couple of times in this set.

43mm chips15-test25.png

I like 1 and 5 the best personally.

Is the T25 in the last row maroon or brown? I can't quite tell but either way I love it.

1 or 5 for me, too. (y) :thumbsup:

My old setups from the >redacted< GB came in handy!
I found a somewhat 'coordinated' splashpot to add here (chips not updated to the newest colors). Furthermore, @Quicksilver-75 has kindly provided samples of the hybrids and I was able to pull off an update to the surface definitions to enhance the gloss/shine of the labels. Not so obvious in this pic but it's there (in the blurry area and near the glowing rail :unsure:).

splash_002.jpg

Next topic to address would be to include a decent simulation of the color changes in the dye-sub process. That yellow will never be this bright and overall the colors get a little bit muted, darker and there are some hue shifts, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom