Starting Up a Home Game - Card Suggestion? (1 Viewer)

This is the first time ever I've heard of "Copag smell". I have Copags and I've never come across this smell issue, nor the ink fade issue. This should have been noticable by now because I have been dealing them from shoes (max friction) for years.

This is the first time ever I've heard of "Copag smell". I have Copags and I've never come across this smell issue, nor the ink fade issue. This should have been noticable by now because I have been dealing them from shoes (max friction) for years.
I'd been reading about it for about a year thinking "what smell" and then WHAMO! GOOD GOD WTF? I'm telling you...diesel fumes. You only really smell it when you shuffle.

I have been a consistent COPAG man for the last few years. My most recent Amazon package of 12 COPAG Elite decks went missing, so I picked up a pair of "Chips and Games" poker size jumbo plastics, made by Da Vinci, as a same day delivery solution.

They're MUCH firmer, almost to the point of cutting your hands, and some players found them harder to peel.

I think I have been converted though. They're easier to deal, they're harder to mark, they don't stick together like COPAG's do with humidity - and despite the Shuffletech allegedly being designed/approved specifically for COPAG's, I find the Chips and Games/ Da Vinci cards jam the shuffler far less frequently (with the caveat being I had to break the deck in a bit first). I had probably my first completely fault free session on the shuffler in years last night!

All this at $2/deck cheaper than the COPAG Elites.

They're still reasonably pricey as we can't get the bulk pack in Australia ($12 AUD/Deck - Copag Elites $14/deck).

I've heard people complain about the smell of CC's. With my Majestics, at least, I have to hold them up to my nose to smell them and it's pretty faint. Copag's are another story. It's like getting hit in the face with a sledge hammer. I've bough used WSOP Copag's, and don't get a smell. Copag Elites aren't as bad as the setups that come in a plastic box. The smell does fade with use, so I think the Elites being in a cardboard box maybe "breathe" better than the setups allowing the smell to dissipate some.

I'll put in another vote for the Broken Arrow cards. With the current sale he's running ($3 per deck, $7.50 for a setup) everyone should give them a try.

My buddy and I have probably 50 copag decks between us, every single one has been flawless (including used WSOP) and we love them.

I am utterly confused when I see all the complaints. Either we are ridiculously lucky or there's just a very vocal minority. I've played with all kinds of PVC cards including faded spade and the ilk, and while they're also good, I just have never been given reason to hate copags.

Edit: also, wtf are you people doing to your cards that they don't last long enough to be worth it long run? I assume if you intentionally abuse copags, they might be more delicate, but I don't see them showing any wear from normal use and being peeled all night.

I have gone through about 50 decks and never had an issue with Copags splitting, tearing or the paint wearing down. I have also never noticed a smell. They are somewhat malleable so can pick up marks somewhat easily.

The biggest problem I have had in my experience is they will develop a kind of film and stick together if exposed to humidity. I live in sub-tropical Australia so this is pretty much unavoidable.

I have gone through about 50 decks and never had an issue with Copags splitting, tearing or the paint wearing down. I have also never noticed a smell. They are somewhat malleable so can pick up marks somewhat easily.

The biggest problem I have had in my experience is they will develop a kind of film and stick together if exposed to humidity. I live in sub-tropical Australia so this is pretty much unavoidable.
I could see that... I live in SoCal so never an issue.

I have been a consistent COPAG man for the last few years. My most recent Amazon package of 12 COPAG Elite decks went missing, so I picked up a pair of "Chips and Games" poker size jumbo plastics, made by Da Vinci, as a same day delivery solution.

They're MUCH firmer, almost to the point of cutting your hands, and some players found them harder to peel.

I think I have been converted though. They're easier to deal, they're harder to mark, they don't stick together like COPAG's do with humidity - and despite the Shuffletech allegedly being designed/approved specifically for COPAG's, I find the Chips and Games/ Da Vinci cards jam the shuffler far less frequently (with the caveat being I had to break the deck in a bit first). I had probably my first completely fault free session on the shuffler in years last night!

All this at $2/deck cheaper than the COPAG Elites.

They're still reasonably pricey as we can't get the bulk pack in Australia ($12 AUD/Deck - Copag Elites $14/deck).

These? https://amzn.to/42Ip8Ar $7.99 for two decks :)

I have 2 Shuffletech running and there and there are almost no jams with Modiano Platinum. I used Copags before and they were fine too, but the Modianos jam even less.
I use 2 new decks per table at least every other night. So may be the jam frequency changes if the cards get older. Also the more dirt there is on your cards the more dirt will be in your Shuffletech...

Also the more dirt there is on your cards the more dirt will be in your Shuffletech...

I'd say this for sure. I suspect there isn't a lot of tolerance for that in the machine, considering how thin cards are and close together.

This thread has me checking all my copags and sniffing them. Wife giving me weird looks.
IMG_2057.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom