New member from North Carolina starting up a game from scratch... (2 Viewers)

Welcome! What city?
Thanks! Triad area (closest to Winston-Salem).

How many players are you trying to host at your game (how many chips do you need)? What are the stakes (what denominations)? What's your budget (we always go over)? Welcome back to PCF forums!

- Biznasty
Probably 6-10 players for now. Looking at 700-chip (from $0.25 to $100) for something between .25/.5 and 1/3 (not clear on the experience and comfort level of my initial players). Will prob start with a table <$300. Still browsing, so do haven't decided on the chip budget.

Thanks! Triad area (closest to Winston-Salem).

Probably 6-10 players for now. Looking at 700-chip (from $0.25 to $100) for something between .25/.5 and 1/3 (not clear on the experience and comfort level of my initial players). Will prob start with a table <$300. Still browsing, so do haven't decided on the chip budget.
That’s quite a big range of stakes but I recommend starting small and moving up. That’s easier to do than lowering the stakes.

If you haven’t decided on a chip budget yet, hard to recommend but the PCF mantra is “Get samples!”

That’s quite a big range of stakes but I recommend starting small and moving up. That’s easier to do than lowering the stakes.

If you haven’t decided on a chip budget yet, hard to recommend but the PCF mantra is “Get samples!”
Starting small with a cash set (went with Monaco Clubs), but interested in how to go about getting samples for a tourney set (e.g., Neo Globe Series of Poker) and, assuming game gets up to speed soon, an upgraded cash set.

Welcome! As far as your table budget, I really like the Barrington. They can collapse and fold in half. Also there's a lot of opportunity to modify it and I found out yesterday there is a vendor on here who will make custom mats for it!

you are joining at a very interesting time, where the chinese product lines mentioned with new interesting mold possibilities are great values for the money, so you do not have to spend thousands although you may decide to. At any rate, welcome and enjoy your time here. Good Luck on getting a game going.

Hello and welcome to the community! The Barringtons are great for the budget and there is a great upgrade thread for those who are handy at do it yourself projects. You can sometimes find great deals on marketplace. Amazon has had some decent prices on new tables as well. I would say $300 is a fair price for a new table. Under 300 is a good price, and under 200 is a great price. Sometimes you will see them for 100 to 150 used on marketplace if you search long enough. Get yourself a table topper from @rjdev7 and you will have a high end look at a fraction of the price! Plus the cards glide so perfectly across the toppers! Good luck in building your home game and use the search bar to find threads on just about anything you could imagine dealing with home games!

Hello and welcome to PCF! Definitely get samples of chips. Do you have a budget in mind along with cash/tournament or both along with stakes?

i run a game in the Asheville NC area if youre ever around youre welcome to join! your best value for chips would be someone on here selling cards mold sets if you can find one you like but if you need stock chips there are tons of options and you get what you pay for so keep that in mind but most players dont care they just want a good time

Starting small with a cash set (went with Monaco Clubs), but interested in how to go about getting samples for a tourney set (e.g., Neo Globe Series of Poker) and, assuming game gets up to speed soon, an upgraded cash set.
Sounds like you’re on the right path. Lots of helpful people here, perhaps you could put up a wanted classified and somebody might even loan you out some samples.

Also, keep in mind that unless you are playing with other hardcore chippers or PCFers, they will not know the difference between chips. I would recommend spending most of your initial budget on playing gear like table/chairs as that will have the biggest impact on your game. Not saying to get crappy chips but especially if you have newbies, you want your game to be super comfortable and enjoyable.

I think its better you play with dice chips on a super nice table and comfortable chairs than it is playing with Tigers on a plastic table and folding chairs.

Your tastes/wants will evolve as you go through your chipping journey so you may find in 6 months you want something completely different to now.

Sounds like you’re on the right path. Lots of helpful people here, perhaps you could put up a wanted classified and somebody might even loan you out some samples.

Also, keep in mind that unless you are playing with other hardcore chippers or PCFers, they will not know the difference between chips. I would recommend spending most of your initial budget on playing gear like table/chairs as that will have the biggest impact on your game. Not saying to get crappy chips but especially if you have newbies, you want your game to be super comfortable and enjoyable.

I think its better you play with dice chips on a super nice table and comfortable chairs than it is playing with Tigers on a plastic table and folding chairs.

Your tastes/wants will evolve as you go through your chipping journey so you may find in 6 months you want something completely different to now.
Great input, and yes, that's my instinct, as well. I've played in tons of games with a massive range of chip qualities, and at the end of the day, I'm always just happy to be playing on a good table (hopefully with a decent or better chair). That said, I'd love the excuse to add a nice set or two and to find a few neighbors who share in this obsession of ours.

Welcome! As far as your table budget, I really like the Barrington. They can collapse and fold in half. Also there's a lot of opportunity to modify it and I found out yesterday there is a vendor on here who will make custom mats for it!
Very interested in custom mats for the Barrington. Especially since, I got the clown show production model.

Attachments

• 2023-09-22 22.29.54.jpg
    2023-09-22 22.29.54.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 46
Craigslist is your friend for tables and chairs.
The most important thing is to get a good group of people and establish a game. Once you have that, you can keep adding and upgrading your setup.
Good cards are the first thing to get, then comfy chairs, then a good table, then good chips.

i run a game in the Asheville NC area if youre ever around youre welcome to join! your best value for chips would be someone on here selling cards mold sets if you can find one you like but if you need stock chips there are tons of options and you get what you pay for so keep that in mind but most players dont care they just want a good time

My old home town :) Back in 2011, now Durham

Welcome to the community. I'll echo what some have said.
Table and comfy chairs are the most important. If you want decent Chips that don't cost and arm and leg, look at the monthly group buys for both cash and tourney sets.
I have an 8 seat table.
Get yourself a base amount of friends and acquaintances, as your regulars, bases on your table seating, then add players to a spare list, letting them know that they will be called if one of the regulars can't make a session. When you announce your time and date, give the players a deadline to let you know if they can play or not. That wY you have a few days to find another player on the spare list if needed. I have used this system since I started my home games, and have always had a full table of 8. I leave 3 days prior to the game as a deadline to let me know.
Whenever someone finds out about my home game and shows an interest, I tell them about my base regulars but ask them if they want to be added to my spare list.
Good Luck with your game going forward.

And, "ALWAYS RECRUIT".
Regulars tend to have baby children, die, or move away.
Good players who are also nice and honest guys are priceless. They can't be bought, unlike tables, chairs, chips and card decks.

And, "ALWAYS RECRUIT".
Regulars tend to have baby children, die, or move away.
Good players who are also nice and honest guys are priceless. They can't be bought, unlike tables, chairs, chips and card decks.
Agreed...those that have been on the spare list over the years, are now some of my regular players due to a death, stroke of Parkinson's. The great thing about the spare list players is that you can see if they are of proper stock when they were called in from the bullpen to take the place of a regular that could not make a session.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom