Starting Up a Home Game - Card Suggestion? (1 Viewer)

greg2313

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Have not ran a game in 10 years, blame the kidos. Dusting off the Paulson cash set for a consistent monthly game in SE Michigan.

Have been searching and reading the form for guidance/advice to spice up the card selection used.

What type of cards are you using in your home games?

Have not ran a game in 10 years, blame the kidos. Dusting off the Paulson cash set for a consistent monthly game in SE Michigan.

Have been searching and reading the form for guidance/advice to spice up the card selection used.

I like Modiano Platinums, they have great feel and durability, but that goes only for Platinums as you can get standard Modianos that are warped straight out of the box.
Hate Copags (I mean they are nice cards but to me they stink and I can't take the smell)
If you can get them, Trefls are suprisingly nice and are the only cards I've come across with a full bleed.
Almost forgot, Fournier Mayas are some handsome looking cards.

I like Modiano Platinums, they have great feel and durability, but that goes only for Platinums as you can get standard Modianos that are warped straight out of the box.
Hate Copags (I mean they are nice cards but to me they stink and I can't take the smell)
If you can get them, Trefls are suprisingly nice and are the only cards I've come across with a full bleed.
Almost forgot, Fournier Mayas are some handsome looking cards.
I don't like the feel of Copags plus they did this to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20231210_082646528.jpg
    IMG_20231210_082646528.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 243
Just getting back into playing cards again & you already have a shuffletech? Nicely played!

Poker sized Faded Spade & Copag work very well with that unit. I also don't have issues with Modiano, Desjgn, Trefl, Fournier, Da Vinci & Bicycle/Prestige.

Try what you think looks best. Most come in a Jumbo Index which is one of the things most of us agree on here.

cdfbaaec-ac70-4c10-b401-47f26edf6f06_text.gif

Copag is good cause it is cheap and easily available. While Fournier is harder to come by and more expensive, they last soooooooooooo much longer than copag that it actually makes them cheaper on the long run.
Fournier are super nice. Probably my favorites and I've tried a lot. Much nicer than Copags or Kems in my opinion

Faded Spade are very stiff. Great for shuffletech. And good artwork.

Fournier, Desjgn, Faded Spade, Modiano (platinum but cristallo are good too), Cartamundi premium (made in Belgium), Bicycle prestige (these are also made by Fournier), Dal Negro Poker Monkey

Just getting back into playing cards again & you already have a shuffletech? Nicely played!

Poker sized Faded Spade & Copag work very well with that unit. I also don't have issues with Modiano, Desjgn, Trefl, Fournier, Da Vinci & Bicycle/Prestige.

Try what you think looks best. Most come in a Jumbo Index which is one of the things most of us agree on here.

View attachment 1237554
Interesting. I had nothing but problems with ver 3.0 Faded Spade and my Shuffletech - jammed constantly. What version Faded Spades are you using?

Broken Arrows haven't been mentioned. They are excellent cards, handle well and good value. Some of the cards previously mentioned are tough to source in the US unless you're comfortable importing them. (ex: Fournier, Modiano Platinum, Angel, etc).

Avoid Copag. (they're garbage)

Angel Aristo's currently, was Desjgn Circles (?) prior, and Modiano Peek a Boo before that. Love all 3.

Personally also love Faded Spade 4 Color, but our group collectively couldn't shuffle them properly without spilling all multiple times a night. Although I am starting to think that is an experience thing with nicer cards.

Modiano platinum for the win. I have been using those cards for years. Although MPs are increasingly harder to get in the states.

Ill try my luck with getting my mitts on a few decks of Modiano Platinum, and give these faded spade cards a try.

Thanks for all the feedback! Really appreciated.

Copag is good cause it is cheap and easily available. While Fournier is harder to come by and more expensive, they last soooooooooooo much longer than copag that it actually makes them cheaper on the long run.
Thats good to know. Where do you source them? Any time I have looked I have only seen the Spanish playing cards.

I am very sensitive to smell which saw me sell every set of China clays I ever owned and detect no smell from my copags. I’m sure if they had a smell I would not use them.

I detect no smell whatsoever from Copags and none of the fading problems described here for cards dealt from a shoe over the past 10 years.

I recently ordered a set of Copag 1546s and haven't noticed a smell either. My local poker club uses Copags as well and I haven't noticed a smell. Not that I actively go around smelling cards. Maybe I will next time though :unsure:

The fading is mentioned a lot in that thread but I don’t see a lot of smell comments, in fact none on the first two pages. It may be your foreign supplier.
I'm sure it is, but putting the smell aside, the wear on Copags in enough for me to stick to Modiano & Fournier

I certainly don't hate Copags, but I just prefer the look and feel of Fournier over them. Probably due to my first set of plastic cards that I liked being Bicycle Prestige. And since most of the other hosts I play with use Copags, this gives me a chance to use something different.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom