Starting Up a Home Game - Card Suggestion? (2 Viewers)

I don’t get all the hate for Copag cards. They serve my game very well and no complaints from my group.
only 7 months old and they look worse than cheap paper cards but YMMV:

Attachments

• PC160008.JPG
    PC160008.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 70
  • PC160010.JPG
    PC160010.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 66
Kem cards bow horribly, they still get a lot of love here. Everything wears out, or has pluses and minuses.

Third post of this thread is a very good reason. All four of my decks did that. Though severity ranged by back colour.
It could be the bright colors that bleed, I’ve never had that happen but never had those bright colored backs. I agree that is not good.

I have almost exclusively used COPAG Elites bought in the 6-colour 12 packs from Amazon. The quality to price ratio absolutely cannot be beaten imo.

I do notice some fading and marking from heavy use and players rubbing the faces of the cards on the speedfelt, but I change my cards out roughly once every 4/5 games so it isn't a huge issue.

I love my copags but they are the only “nice” cards i have had

I’m hoping Santa brings me a box of faded spades ‍♂️

I love my copags but they are the only “nice” cards i have had

I’m hoping Santa brings me a box of faded spades ‍♂️
If they are your only "nice" cards, I'd sure hate to see your other "not so nice" cards.

Ask Santa for Design, Broken Arrow, Modiano Platinum, Fournier (Bicycle Prestige) or Angel. If you want to try cheap Fournier try the 2012 WSOP cards on eBay. (Fournier was voted the groups favorite plastic cards)

There are too many "nice" cards to play with crap like Copag or Faded Spades.

I'm another anti-Copag vote (as somebody who always deals in our weekly game)

Hate the smell and floating top card.

Kem, Fournier and Faded Spade all much better options IMO.

Also a fan of jumbo index in general.

I don't get the hate for copags either. I bought 6 red and 6 blue, at least 15 years ago and I'm the 2 last decks now (running 2 decks). Granted, we're down to monthly games now, but still.
Most cards have been wrecked in a shuffletech jam and yes, the oldest one fade. Guess I'm the odd one out here who don't insist on new car smell every time I'm out driving.

I don't get the hate for copags either. I bought 6 red and 6 blue, at least 15 years ago and I'm the 2 last decks now (running 2 decks). Granted, we're down to monthly games now, but still.
Most cards have been wrecked in a shuffletech jam and yes, the oldest one fade. Guess I'm the odd one out here who don't insist on new car smell every time I'm out driving.
I bought four decks and they lasted less than two years and all the back colours bled through to the faces. Worst cards I've ever bought.
There seems to be a pattern where there is a huge spread in reported quality. I suspect Copags has multiple manufacturers and some are absolutely shite.

I bought four decks and they lasted less than two years and all the back colours bled through to the faces. Worst cards I've ever bought.
There seems to be a pattern where there is a huge spread in reported quality. I suspect Copags has multiple manufacturers and some are absolutely shite.
Two years / nothing lasts forever sir.

Two years / nothing lasts forever sir.
Agree. But I was contrasting against the 15 years of @Rakrul. My point was the weird variable in quality. Still the worst non paper cards I've bought, others have lasted me longer.

EDIT: Actually Royals were worse. So bad I almost blocked out the memory. They didn't bleed like Copags though.

Last edited:
How long should we expect a $10 deck of cards to last?

I have nothing against Copags in terms of their feel. It's nice that there's a variety in back art. That said, their durability is shoddy, the ink starts to fade after 2 or 3 long sessions, and the face art and pips are just so damn boring looking.

They're perfectly fine for a "one and done" game, but if you want cards that will last several sessions, go out of your way to find Dal Negro, Fournier, and Piatnik if you can find them. @desjgn is also a vendor here and offers fantastic options. He's who I'd recommend first.

Allow an expert to shed some light on this topic.
@NotRealNameNoSir get em!
Ha! Flattered, but no luck. Everything's already been said; I like Faded Spades and Copags, have had good experience with both. Copags fade but players love the colors and designs. I've never had Faded Spades split but obviously happens frequent enough. I like how sturdy they feel compared to some that bow too easy. The only Faded Spade set that was bowed came to me that way from he-who-must-not-be-named, otherwise they're in great condition after a few long sessions.

I love cards and really love most plastic decks. I don't see the KEM hype and would prefer most other types and that's okay. Fournier EPT, Faded Spade-poker size, Bicycle Prestige are all favorites but the most recent Gemaco/Angels that showed up are pretty great. Angels too slippery, my apes like texture like FS/Desjgn.

I won't reply to anyone specific, we've had all these conversations before.

How long should we expect a $10 deck of cards to last?
Difficult to state. Depends on many factors with amount of play being a major one. Best compare brands lifespan within your own game. Note Copags are not cheap where I am, their price isn't much lower than KEMS.

Last edited:
Yeah I might've gotten lucky.

I should add that once I have a marked card, I don't replace the deck but the card from a retired deck and with 6 decks this can last a while. I would guess I still have two full decks that are used. They haven't rubbed off like yours did but the face side do fade.

I have a 2 deck set of Fournier that are just starting year 4. They are the preferred cards of my nickel/dime crowd.
You allow them to have preferred cards?! I buy too many, gotta keep changing them up! If my apes decide they like something and don't want to switch I'm dead meat.

You give them an inch they take a mile. Next they'll be asking for chairs, or music other than Bruce Springsteen.
They ask for Fournier WSOP football on the TV and they bring things to put on the hot dog roller. I also haven't had to buy beer in years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom