Slow rolling dealer (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I know I'm being whiny here, but I thought about not inviting this guy back. EDIT - it was just a fleeting thought; I wouldn't actually ban a guy for that.

We self deal. We were a few hours in, getting deep, and this pot was worth over 400 big blinds, which is about as big as it gets in this game. River was an all in situation and I needed the board to pair. Dealer burns a card, peels the next card, looks at it so only he can see, gasps, waits a beat, then turns over a brick.
I didn't think it was funny. It was over a month ago and I'm still low key steaming.
How out of line am I for being really annoyed at this? I didn't react to it at all, like I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit over a stupid prank. But when the pot is that big, that's obnoxious, right?

Last edited:
I know I'm being whiny here, but I thought about not inviting this guy back.

We self deal. We were a few hours in, getting deep, and this pot was worth over 400 big blinds, which is about as big as it gets in this game. River was an all in situation and I needed the board to pair. Dealer burns a card, peels the next card, looks at it so only he can see, gasps, waits a beat, then turns over a brick.
I didn't think it was funny. It was over a month ago and I'm still low key steaming.
How out of line am I for being really annoyed at this? I didn't react to it at all, like I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit over a stupid prank. But when the pot is that big, that's obnoxious, right?

Absolutely obnoxious. Real money situations should only sweat cards if the person who is the subject of the sweat calls for it.

Is he someone that plays regularly or just a seat filler? It's obnoxious but if it's someone new to playing I give them some leash.

Is he someone that plays regularly or just a seat filler? It's obnoxious but if it's someone new to playing I give them some leash.
He's not new to playing at all.
I'm a pretty good sport at the table, but I wouldn't want that to happen again. But it's not like I'm going to post a "no slow roll dealing." So I'll just complain here about it.

I'm probably gonna sound like a dick here - but seriously? A month and you're low key still mad?

Half the fun of poker is the shit talking and the bad beats that come with it.

This is probably a common occurrence at my game but I honestly couldn't tell you the last time it happened, because that's the fun of it. This time it was my turn, we have some chuckles, and you move in to laugh at Joey when it's his turn.

Now with that said, would I do this if I were at a new game where I didn't know anyone? No.- because that would be obnoxious.

dealer was the villain?
No, dealer was not in the hand.
I'm probably gonna sound like a dick here - but seriously? A month and you're low key still mad?

Half the fun of poker is the shit talking and the bad beats that come with it.

This is probably a common occurrence at my game but I honestly couldn't tell you the last time it happened, because that's the fun of it. This time it was my turn, we have some chuckles, and you move in to laugh at Joey when it's his turn.

Now with that said, would I do this if I were at a new game where I didn't know anyone? No.- because that would be obnoxious.
Yeah, I know. Lots of different ways to bust balls at the poker table and most of them are all good. But I dunno, that's a little different than shit-talking to me. Maybe it's just not my brand of humor. But you make a fair point, I get it.

If you didn’t say anything in the moment, or in the month since, it’s kind of a dick move if you don’t invite him again without explanation.

The slow roll deal is also a dick move, but if nobody said anything to him, not worth a ban IMO

on the opposite end of the spectrum, i played in a tournament once where everyone got one "run it twice" chip. you could use it for any all-in, and then it was spent - actually a pretty neat tournament twist. it was a self-dealt game but when we got down into the money at the FT, one played offered to deal. i don't remember the specific hand, but i shoved the flop on a huge combo draw and got insta-called. the dealer WHIPPED out the turn and the river and i whiffed before i could say i wanted to play my chip. i was SO pissed but i held it together, but it still annoys me to this day (this was probably 5 years ago lol).

If you didn’t say anything in the moment, or in the month since, it’s kind of a dick move if you don’t invite him again without explanation.

The slow roll deal is also a dick move, but if nobody said anything to him, not worth a ban IMO
No, I'm not seriously thinking about banning the guy for a lousy joke, its just a thought that flew threw my head.
But what would you say in the moment? I'm a pretty good sport, and I like guys joking around and busting balls. I think even saying "not cool," in that moment, might be more annoying than what he did.

If he had slow rolled you a winning card, how would you feel?
If I won the hand, I would have felt a lot better about the situation of course. But I still wouldn't have thought that was the right time to be screwing around - during that tense moment of the biggest pot of the night.
How do you feel about it?

Slow rolls should only be by people in the hand. But otherwise I’m okay with them.

found a new avatar for you

capture.jpeg

No, I'm not seriously thinking about banning the guy for a lousy joke, its just a thought that flew threw my head.
But what would you say in the moment? I'm a pretty good sport, and I like guys joking around and busting balls. I think even saying "not cool," in that moment, might be more annoying than what he did.
Not sure what I’d say exactly, but anything expressing that you didn’t appreciate the slow roll deal would’ve probably worked.

If he cared about his invite he would’ve gotten the picture (Under the general rule: don’t be an ass in someone else’s house and expect to be invited back).

Just seems like something that needs to be addressed either in the moment (or shortly thereafter), or not at all.

I'm in the dick move camp. When there's money involved many people wouldn't find this kind of joke funny.

Reminds of when someone grabs and pretends to drag your pot as a joke. Also not funny.

The games I came up in, you just didn't do that kind of stuff. We bust balls very hard. We've played together for years and can be outright brutal to each other, but this stuff wouldn't fly (unless it's part of the rules of the game, screw your neighbor for instance where slow rolling an ace to block the trade is encouraged and hilarious)

Have you seen “Old Boy”? If you have you should Old Boy this dealer character. No limit on seething and no punishment is too harsh.

Absolutely obnoxious. Real money situations should only sweat cards if the person who is the subject of the sweat calls for it.
+1

But that said, happens in my game frequently. I guess the dealer trying to imitate TV drama or just trying to involve themselves in a hand they are otherwise out of.

Have a feeling, would it have bothered you so much if the board paired?
You're the second person to ask that, and I don't think that really matters. Of course I was more upset because I lost. But if the other guy lost, then wouldn't the slow roll gasp have bothered him instead? So net, we're in the same place either way - dealer guy did something to try to get a laugh, that left one guy annoyed.
But yeah, even if I won, I'd still be annoyed. Him peeking first so he knows the winner before the rest of us is obnoxious, but that gasp - pretending something crazy happened to get my hopes up and fill the other guy with dread? That's a touch sociopathic.

Last edited:
I confess, I sometimes do something like this.

Only occasionally, if the planets are aligned just right and I'm at a very friendly game and the moment tells me it'll go over well.

Even then, I'm talking 1.5 seconds of me peeling it like it's my hole card and then flipping it, not making faces, pretending it's a big game-changer, or making everyone sweat it for a long time. That's just asking to hurt someone's feelings.

I'm fully aware that it's the dealing equivalent of a goofy pun. It's shtick. Sometimes my act involves shtick. Deal with it. (Womp womp.)

As to you still feeling sore about it a month later, you should probably see someone about that. Shit happens at the table, for better or worse. What's done is done. If he does it again, maybe make your displeasure known, but letting such a non-event occupy so much mental real estate is … let's say inefficient.

As host, the peek before revealing the last card would have probably led to words with the dealer. That's bad sauce in my book.

I have been known when dealing a hand, reaching up to my ear like I'm checking an earpiece for the word from the producer to flip the last card, but this is extremely rare and has only been used in a humorous manner the couple times I've deployed it. That said, I honestly can't remember the last time I pulled that little stunt. I guess I realized it was a piece of cheesy humor.

If I won the hand, I would have felt a lot better about the situation of course. But I still wouldn't have thought that was the right time to be screwing around - during that tense moment of the biggest pot of the night.
How do you feel about it?

It’s a dumb and annoying thing to do, but I wouldn’t steam about it for a month. My question was meant to tease out that it is probably the loss that made you so irritated by the slow deal, more than the actual act itself.

I know a guy who does this all the time—not to be a dick, but because he can’t help himself. People razz him about it, but he’s a terrible player and big donator in all games he plays in, so no one minds too much when he does stupid shit like that…

This wouldn't have bothered me.

Doing it a lot would bother me, because the joke would wear thin. Once though? No big deal. Cute, funny, laugh, shrug, next hand.

Have you seen “Old Boy”? If you have you should Old Boy this dealer character. No limit on seething and no punishment is too harsh.
I just finished watching it. Yes, I agree, this would be appropriate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom