Should I oil Mint Paulson chips? (1 Viewer)

I agree. But people oil China clays which are mostly plastic, and honestly aren’t our compressed clays made up of a lot of plastic?
It’s my opinion that anything outside of a compressed clay only appears better with oil because the oil is just sitting on the surface and scattering light, making it appear better…not actually going into the chip at all.

It’s my opinion that anything outside of a compressed clay only appears better with oil because the oil is just sitting on the surface and scattering light, making it appear better…not actually going into the chip at all.
I’ve experienced some CCs when I first got started.

They simply don’t “absorb” the oil. The surface of a CC simply does not have the same porous surface that a Paulson has. Whether the Paulson has plastic in the formula or how much, is a different debate I know nothing about.

I do know, the oil absorbs into clay Paulsons and literally soaks into CPCs.

Here’s an ASTM method for detecting water in plastics. Plastics are porous.

https://www.astm.org/d6980-17.html
I would argue that any absorption of oil into plastic is negligible. Most oils from motor to cooking oil is packaged in plastic bottles.
I think one of the reasons a compressed chip absorbs oil is not only the crevices, but also the little fibers throughout the chip (most prevalent along the rolling edge) that can wick deeper into the chip.

I failed to specify just how little oil I use. About a teaspoon for 1000 chips I'd say..

I can see how my post might be misleading.

If you received chips from eBay that oily, even after dawn wash, I'd say someone was not using the correct USP Mineral Oil. Tough to say. I've been able to wipe dry just about any oiled chip I've worked on. With a dry microfiber, I can definitely get it off. I don't oil faces of any chips mind you. However, I'm still a newbie and I've only worked with USP mineral oil.

Perhaps I should say, use at your own risk. I suppose there is inherent risk of some sort anytime we try to alter or improve a product.
How do you ensure the 1 teaspoon of mineral oil (or a similarly small amount) is evenly dispersed among a set?

I would argue that any absorption of oil into plastic is negligible. Most oils from motor to cooking oil is packaged in plastic bottles.
I think one of the reasons a compressed chip absorbs oil is not only the crevices, but also the little fibers throughout the chip (most prevalent along the rolling edge) that can wick deeper into the chip.

I wish I lived in a simpler world too, where everything behaved like in the cartoons.

There are very few impervious and non porous materials on earth. The molecular structure, especially with mixtures, always leaves voids between the molecules. Perfect crystals with no room in their lattice might be one at perfect temp and pressure conditions. Poker chips are not these.

I’ve experienced some CCs when I first got started.

They simply don’t “absorb” the oil. The surface of a CC simply does not have the same porous surface that a Paulson has. Whether the Paulson has plastic in the formula or how much, is a different debate I know nothing about.

I do know, the oil absorbs into clay Paulsons and literally soaks into CPCs.
+1 to this, i read the long oiling CC thread and got totally misled into thinking Oiling CC will work.

At least it didn’t work on my end, it just look nicer when you first apply and since they don’t absorb the oil, it lost the effect after the oil evaporates after awhile

How do you ensure the 1 teaspoon of mineral oil (or a similarly small amount) is evenly dispersed among a set?
I don’t. Lol

I just keep working the cloth until I think the cloth needs more.

Inherently, with my method, some chips being oiled immediately after I reapply oil to the cloth, are getting more oil than others towards the end of cycle. Lol!

Truly, we are all crazy. Even I feel like I’m chasing my own tail a bit here.

I just oil my Paulsons. Tough to quantify but i oil them. I’m very very stingy on how much I use. It’s not for “show and shine” . Just to clean and give the chips base color the means to show itself. Many new Paulsons are dusty. That’s it.

Reactions: Sap
I wish I lived in a simpler world too, where everything behaved like in the cartoons.

There are very few impervious and non porous materials on earth. The molecular structure, especially with mixtures, always leaves voids between the molecules. Perfect crystals with no room in their lattice might be one at perfect temp and pressure conditions. Poker chips are not these.
This is laughable, just like the cartoons.
Really, we’re going to go down to the molecular level now? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Ok, maybe there is a void between molecules. Yeah, that’s where all the oil is going. :rolleyes:

Goddamn is everything in your house oiled?
That leather recliner looks great oiled!! It’s much easier for the cat to clean its fur if its oiled!
I bet your car looks great oiled, hides those dents and scratches!!
Damn.lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom