Should I buy .25 and .50 chips? (1 Viewer)

I was thinking about the low denoms as well --- I'm leaning towards picking up $1 $5 and $20s. For micro stakes, the plan is to use the chips and 'divide by ten' so getting to 0.10, 0.50, and 2.00 effective for the session. Then the chips will still be relevant ten years from now, when inflation will have made $1 chips the new nickels... :LOL: :laugh: :cry:

Yes, I do the same. Playing 10ct/20ct with $1, $5 & $25 works fine for the start and is cheaper. Although I would love to add a rack of nice quarters or NCVs.

NCV FTW
zHviDeO.jpg

These NCV look amazing and seem to work wonderful. Where did you get them?

NCV advocate here! My favorite set has NCVs for whatever the hell I need or want them to be…I do see the flexibility and it can be different for any chipper I guess. I love em!

Dollar signs and numbers, who needs em?!? :sneaky:

IMG_2585.jpeg

I swap in my 25 dollar chips for quarters when paying a quarter game it works fine. In a pinch the $100 dollars come in for 10 dollar chips but mostly we find the 5s adequate as the high denominations

NCV is a really flexible option. Use that as 25¢ chips or if you have fracs, just use 25¢ but be sure you have enough.
I've played at games where starting stack only had 10 quarters, $1s and $5. There was constant change making during the game, a real aggravation: until I schooled them. 16 quarters solved the problem. I play regularly at a game that uses 8 - 25¢ and 8 - 50¢ chips in starting stacks and it runs smoothly. So ordering chips is either 80 of each, or 160 quarters for a 10 player game. If that's the case, then you get more bank out of the 25¢ and 50¢ chips.
I am of the opinion one rack of 25¢ chips alone is just not enough to avoid all the change making.
Good Luck with the game.

I suspect many here would disagree with this. It really depends on how your game plays. Do you have a ton of limping in your games? Are your players raising in amounts like $1.25, 1.75, 2.50, etc.? Then yeah, you may need more than a rack. But in most of the 25c/50c games I play in, limpers get punished and raises are in even dollar amounts. In these games 60-100 fracs are more than enough. These are full table games with 9-10 players. Making change is still occasionally needed, but nowhere near enough to be annoying.

I've run a .25/.50 cash game for the last 18 months with friends. Here is every set I buy now that supports the low end games and the games where buy ins get a little nutty:

.25 x 100
1 x 200
5 x 200
20/25 x 75
100 x 25

20/25 x 80
100x20

edit: I think this set also would be perfectly fine up to $1/$2 stakes. $5,500+ in chip values.

Last edited:
I've run a .25/.50 cash game for the last 18 months with friends. Here is every set I buy now that supports the low end games and the games where buy ins get a little nutty:

.25 x 100
1 x 200
5 x 200
20/25 x 75
100 x 25

edit: I think this set also would be perfectly fine up to $1/$2 stakes. $5,500+ in chip values.
This is a great start. I'd probably add another rack of $5s if I were playing $1/2. Also, pretty sure almost every chipper on PCF is tilting on your 75/25 split for the high denoms. C'mon man! We do barrels on PCF!!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This is a great start. I'd probably add another rack of $5s if I were playing $1/2. Also, pretty sure almost every chipper on PCF is tilting on your 75/25 split for the high denoms. C'mon man! We do barrels on PCF!!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
A man playing poker for cents usually doesn't have the dollars or brain power to have considered that.

Edit: You're right actually I do 80/20 for the higher denoms... woops!

A man playing poker for cents usually doesn't have the dollars or brain power to have considered that.

Edit: You're right actually I do 80/20 for the higher denoms... woops!
At least you have a regular game. I envy that. I have this set bought earlier this year that I have yet to put in play. :cry:

20230620_124051.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom