Poker Chip Count (2 Viewers)

Golfer222

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey! I am buying my first real poker set of 600 chips with denominations of $1, $5, $10, $25, $100, and $1000. The denominations on the chips don't matter because we assign different lower values to the chips, but how many chips of each denomination should I buy? I am thinking more of the $1, $5, and $10 chips, but not sure how to split it all up with the 600 chips. Thanks!

What's a "real" set? Please spend some time here and decide what you want and what's optimal.

Denominations are really helpful to have and can be really confusing when they're wrong. Having $10 chips is pretty useless when you have $5s on the table; you want each chip to be around 4-5 times the value of the next lowest. More conventional: 25cent/$1/$5/$25/$100.

If you're buying 600, an easy breakdown looks like:
100 $1
300 $5
200 $25

But it really depends on the game you're playin; some people want 1000 $5s, others would need $100s in their sets. If you spend time here you can find custom chips for all price ranges that actually fit the denoms and stakes you need!

What's a "real" set? Please spend some time here and decide what you want and what's optimal.

Denominations are really helpful to have and can be really confusing when they're wrong. Having $10 chips is pretty useless when you have $5s on the table; you want each chip to be around 4-5 times the value of the next lowest. More conventional: 25cent/$1/$5/$25/$100.

If you're buying 600, an easy breakdown looks like:
100 $1
300 $5
200 $25

But it really depends on the game you're playin; some people want 1000 $5s, others would need $100s in their sets. If you spend time here you can find custom chips for all price ranges that actually fit the denoms and stakes you need!
Ok thanks! It is more for looks the reason that I would get the $10 dollar chip. We sometimes play .1/.2 so the denominations on the chip itself doesn't really matter. If I were to get five denominations do you have a good breakdown of how to split 600 chips through 5 chips?

You're going to get lots of good replies so the only thing that I would like to add is that it can be advantageous for cash sets to use $20 because $20 bills are common AND it differentiates from T25 chips used in tournament sets. Also for cash sets, lots of people don't put a denomination on the fracs so that they can be used as either .25 or .50 depending on the blinds (.25/.50 vs .50/1)

Hey! I am buying my first real poker set of 600 chips with denominations of $1, $5, $10, $25, $100, and $1000. The denominations on the chips don't matter because we assign different lower values to the chips, but how many chips of each denomination should I buy? I am thinking more of the $1, $5, and $10 chips, but not sure how to split it all up with the 600 chips. Thanks!
if you're playing $1/2...then
$1s x 100
$5s x 300
$25s x 100
$100x x 80
$1Ks x 20

not sure how big your game gets but this should be plenty for single table

What stakes are you pretending to play? 1/2? 2/5? 5/10? Once you have an answer for that, look for breakdown advice for that stake level.

For example, I have a couple $5/$10 cash sets, but each denomination is actually only worth a tenth, so we're actually playing 50¢/$1. Here's the breakdown of my two-table 5/10 cash set:

300 $5
600 $25
400 $100
40 $500
60 $1000
divide by two to derive the 1-table breakdown

$1s x 100
$5s x 300
$25s x 100
$100x x 80
$1Ks x 20

The games we play are either .1/.2 or .25/.5 so the denominations on the chips don't matter themselves we just assign a different value. If I wanted to get 5 or 6 different chip values regardless of value of the chip, do you recommend something different or that as well?

What stakes are you pretending to play? 1/2? 2/5? 5/10? Once you have an answer for that, look for breakdown advice for that stake level.

For example, I have a couple $5/$10 cash sets, but each denomination is actually only worth a tenth, so we're actually playing 50¢/$1. Here's the breakdown of my two-table 5/10 cash set:

300 $5
600 $25
400 $100
40 $500
60 $1000
divide by two to derive the 1-table breakdown
We generally play .1/.2 or .25/.5 so not large games so the values dont matter. I am more looking at the chips for the art of them, so for the games I play do you recommend that same setup?

$1s x 100
$5s x 300
$25s x 100
$100x x 80
$1Ks x 20

I'm basically in line with this breakdown with the only exception being that you don't really need a $1k chip if you're going to be playing 1/2

I've done playable 1/2 sets with

$1 x 100
$5 x 300
$25 x 80
$100 x 20

A $500 would make much more sense than a $1k, but neither one is really required.

Also, even though there will likely be a bunch of disagreements in this thread, do understand that everybody is trying to help you LOL

I'm basically in line with this breakdown with the only exception being that you don't really need a $1k chip if you're going to be playing 1/2

I've done playable 1/2 sets with

$1 x 100
$5 x 300
$25 x 80
$100 x 20

A $500 would make much more sense than a $1k, but neither one is really required.
i would agree...but some 1/2 games play like 2/5 or 5/10 so sometime $1ks are need....$500s to actually get them on the table, but $1ks if you you play that big

Ok thanks! It is more for looks the reason that I would get the $10 dollar chip. We sometimes play .1/.2 so the denominations on the chip itself doesn't really matter. If I were to get five denominations do you have a good breakdown of how to split 600 chips through 5 chips?
My strong advice is not to split to 5 denominations, it just doesn't make sense when it comes to actually using the set. I have a tournament set that's 5 denoms but its meant for 30+ people and its twice as large a set. Cash set, I rarely see more than 4 denoms on the table and I like it that way.

I get that, but wouldn't you want to buy chips from here that say 10c or 25c or whatever? I've got 5c and 25c in my set but that easily could've been 10c/50c/whatever.

so the values dont matter.

You keep saying this. The values do matter if you want to keep everyone's head straight about the stakes and math.

Stick to 4 denoms. You can try $5, $25, $100 and $500 and divide all values by 100. Or you can try to find something useful as nickels, quarters, $1, and $5. But denominated fracs can sometimes be an expensive proposition.

Why not get lower denominations on the chips if that is what you play. Get nickels, quarters, dollars and fives.

Why not get lower denominations on the chips if that is what you play. Get nickels, quarters, dollars and fives.
Chips I am getting don't allow denominations that low...only the set amounts they have

You keep saying this. The values do matter if you want to keep everyone's head straight about the stakes and math.

Stick to 4 denoms. You can try $5, $25, $100 and $500 and divide all values by 100. Or you can try to find something useful as nickels, quarters, $1, and $5. But denominated fracs can sometimes be an expensive proposition.
Its a bunch of college students and we usually play with different denominations anyway than what is on the chips. May get what you said tho thx

I make my relabel set frac as “x” so it can be 5c, 25c, or 50c
IMG_6287.jpeg
IMG_1442.jpeg
IMG_1797.jpeg

Chips I am getting don't allow denominations that low...only the set amounts they have
So get a different set that does allow for it?

Its a bunch of college students and we usually play with different denominations anyway than what is on the chips. May get what you said tho thx
Why though? It's way easier, and a lot more secure to just use the denominations that are on the chips at face value. If you are constantly changing what the chips are worth, eventually someone will pocket chips when they are assigned the lower value, and bring them back when they are a higher value. Everyone that has ever had that happen thought that it would never happen with their group. It's never a problem, until it is.

You can find loose chips at discount poker shop in 25 pc rolls. You can find a brand that has the denominations you want or mix and match different brands.

This post gives me much hope. Gorgeous set. Well done.

Honestly. The hardest part is finding the right chips… then waiting for gear to get to you. Took about 6 months to get all the chips I wanted. Then took about a month for mill/murder then about 8 months for my labels.

Start the label process with gear before you get all the chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom