Ok need chip set up help (1 Viewer)

maverick351

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So I am looking at purchasing some new chips I have already got samples and decided on the chips that I want. Now comes my dilemma, although I read about buying two sets of chips I really would just like to buy one if I can make it work. I have no problem buying 1200 to maybe 1,400 in chips.
I'm looking to have a setup for a cash game of usually 10 people or less but also being able to run a tournament of 18 to 20 people. Buy in on cash games are going to be somewhere between 20 to maybe 40 bucks for now. Tournaments maybe $25 to $40 with a maximum of five rebuys.
I'm having a problem deciding on what denominations and what quantities of each to buy. I have looked online but most everything I have found either suggest two different chipsets or not the denominations I was looking for. I am thinking starting at 25 cents and up for cash games with a max of maybe the $5 chips and using some chips as they carry over for tournaments but typically in tournaments starting off no less than either the $1 or $5 chips and increasing from there. What do you suggest?

I'm in the same boat right now, getting ready to order soon. I have a similar game set-up, usually a single table cash game ($1-$3 spread limit) with a single table tournament at the end. But I want to have enough so I can use the same set for both the tournament and cash game. I think if you don't need to do grandiose denominations, it's doable.

I am currently looking at:

200 x 25¢ chips = $50 in table value
400 x $1 = $400
100 x $5 = $500
100 x $25 = $2,500
100 x $100 = $10,000
100 x $500 = $50,000

So the first three denominations give me $950 for the cash game, and if need be I can sprinkle in some of the $25 chips. The higher denominations give me $62,500 for the tournament. We normally do $2500 or $5000 starting stacks, so we're covered for one table. That is going to cover me for at least 95% of my games. If I decide to do a 2-3 table tournament I happen to have another set with 100 each of the colors I'm using for the higher denominations that I can add in.

This is of course if you aren't using high dollar denominations. Some people like to have chips with thousands up to millions of dollars on the table.
I personally find the tournament works exactly the same if I start with $25/$50 blinds and use a $2500 or $5000 starting stack, and I like having it all as one set. And also if we do higher stakes for an occasional game, I have plenty of $1's, $5's, and $25's.

Last edited:
Welcome!​
Now comes my dilemma, although I read about buying two sets of chips I really would just like to buy one if I can make it work. I have no problem buying 1200 to maybe 1,400 in chips.

I think you can have a 2 Table Tourney set in the ball park of 400-600 chips, and a cash set of 600-800 chips.

Your actual issue is your cash game sounds like the buy ins are two low for a .25/.50 game. You can make it work, and my more recent experience is with PLO, I do play in a few NLH games that are 40 USD buy ins that play .25 / .5. If there are no rebuys you might consider buying a .05 chip, so you can host .10 / .20 or you could skip it and go with a .25/.25 game.

So most often its cited as security is why you don't want a single set, but really there are other aspects that are typically more important. That said you don't want someone planning on snagging a 25 from your tourney set and then using it in the cash game. Is it likely with your group? You'll say no because your bias, and maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Why burden others with needing to trust them? Having a 0 drama option w/ separation of cash and tourney will be best.

The real reason you don't want to re-use a 25 for both games is:

We are elitist assholes and just want to show off more chips

What I would suggest is you get a cash game set and use a $20, and get a 25 for your tourney set.

I have a few links in my signature that will help (landscape on mobile)

Happy chipping

If you’re going to be getting 1,200-1,400 chips, you can still get two sets.
600 chips gets the job done for a two table (20 person) T25 10K tournament using the following breakdown:

T 25 - 160
T 100 - 160
T 500 - 80
T 1k - 140
T 5k - 60

10K starting stacks:
1 table tournament, 12/12/5/6
2 table tournament, 8/8/4/7

For single table cash games, you can get by with 500-600 chips. Use the following link to tell you how many of each denomination to get, once you figure out your preferred cash stakes:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/

Having one set sounds like a good idea when you're new here, and, to hosting games, but, as was previously mentioned, it's best to keep the two types of game chips separate. You shouldn't be crossing over, especially on the same day. There are so many options for chip sets here in the classifieds that you should be able to find pretty much what you need, usually at better prices than the retail market.

All good points, but I've been doing it forever and never had a problem. But there's certainly the opportunity for it if someone is an asshole.

There are several threads here about this very thing, try the search function, it works pretty well on this forum.

There have been a few posts about home cheating, people no one would have ever suspected. You don't truly know what's going on in people's lives, at times, and it's just a way that you can prevent getting stuck when someone sees an opportunity and decides to take it. Just don't give them the opportunity.

Last edited:
If you’re going to be getting 1,200-1,400 chips, you can still get two sets.
600 chips gets the job done for a two table (20 person) T25 10K tournament using the following breakdown:

T 25 - 160
T 100 - 160
T 500 - 80
T 1k - 140
T 5k - 60

10K starting stacks:
1 table tournament, 12/12/5/6
2 table tournament, 8/8/4/7

For single table cash games, you can get by with 500-600 chips. Use the following link to tell you how many of each denomination to get, once you figure out your preferred cash stakes:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/
Adding onto this. Below is a one-table cash game breakdown starting at 25c/25c game up to $1/$2 blinds.

25c - 100
$1 - 200
$5 - 200
$25 - 80
$100 - 20

All good points, but I've been doing it forever and never had a problem. But there's certainly the opportunity for it if someone is an asshole.
Doesn't even need to be an asshole or even intentional.

Honest mistakes happen -- a dropped or misplaced tournament chip can be innocently discovered /reclaimed / 'found' during the cash game, and at the end of the night at cash-out, somebody's getting financially screwed... which could easily have been avoided entirely.

Separate sets is also about maintaining game integrity, not just security. It's not a problem until it is...... at which time it's too late.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom