Chip breakdowns for soft .25 .50 home game (1 Viewer)

GPBC

Waiting List
Reaction score
Most of the chip recommendations for .25/.50 cash games that I've seen one here seem to be geared towards games with more actions than my weekly home game, which rarely has pre-flop raises > 5bb, so I was wondering if smaller action would call for different breakdowns than whats often recommended? Thinking about getting ~350 .25 chips, 150-200 $1 and ~50 $5 chips, but could .50 chips be worth looking into? Buy ins are typically 30-50, but can go up to 100 per person. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thinking about getting ~350 .25 chips

That is excessive. Even at a full ring table of 9 players that is 38 chips each. Even in the softest of games, no reason anyone would need more than a barrel ( 20 ) of fracs. Making change is very easy and personally would recommend getting in the habit of doing so instead of planning on everyone having the the correct chips to bet/call with.

150-200 $1 and ~50 $5 chips

That is pretty good but would say 200 X $1, 150 X $5 and at least a barrel of high denoms ( $20 or $25 ).

.50 chips be worth looking into?

A .50 chip in a .25/.50 cash game is a bad idea. It serves no purpose that the .25 can't cover. Denom jumps should always be in the 4-5x range.

Buy ins are typically 30-50, but can go up to 100 per person.

Let's says it's a crazy night and assume a full table and everyone max buy-in. You are looking at a $900 initial investment plus any additional addons.

If you went with your original plan, that is only a bank of $537.50 with your 600 chips.

350 x .25c
200 x $1
50 x $5

If you adjust to the below, you end up with the same number of chips but now have $2k in chips.

200 x .25c
200 X $1
150 x $5
50 X $20

With this breakdown, I would recommend 20 x .25c and 20 x $1 for the first $25 of the buy-in then anything in addition would be paid in $5s.

So players 1 buys in for $30 as below.

20 x .25c
20 x $1
1 x $5

But player 2 buys in for $100 and would be given the below.

20 x .25c
20 x $1
15 x $5

And finally, if this truly is a limp-fest, you might want to try moving down to .05/.10 or .10/.20.

I play about the same type of games. Perhaps slightly bigger, but generally quite similar.

200x $0.25 is plenty. They aren't your workhorse chip and are really only used for blinds and small bets. I give a barrel to each person at the start and it's more than plenty. Sometimes give less than a barrel.

$1 is likely your workhorse chip. Lots of raises well be done with the $1. I like between 200-300 of these.

I'd go absolute minimum 100 $5, but if the chips you're going for a more budget set just save the headache and get 2 racks.

This breakdown will cover three buyins of $100 each per player for a single table. Since the group plays more passively, I went heavier on the ones since that will be the workhorse chip of the set. If ever the game gets any bigger you could add a barrel of $100s to future-proof the set, but they most likely won't see play if your game rarely gets on the crazy side.

120 - 25c
250 - $1
150 - $5
80 - $25

Total Bank: $3030

Kobe Bryant GIF

Like many have said less fracs and more $5s than your initial breakdown. Enjoy!

Most of the chip recommendations for .25/.50 cash games that I've seen one here seem to be geared towards games with more actions than my weekly home game, which rarely has pre-flop raises > 5bb
This is fallacious, chip break down correlates to the amount of bank you need, so the size of the buy in is weighted with higher priority than sizable or quantity of raises. Also to get away with fewer chips you would need higher denoms, not more of the smaller ones.

There are a million of these posts for this structure, all repeating the best break down based on countless average people / games.

Allow me to offer two suggestions, one is arbitrary and actually a plug for a better game.

1) please post the games you typically play, it can have an impact on break down, (yeah yeah everyone only plays one boring game)

2) here is what I use, and when you’re purchasing $$ chips being efficient is saving you money.

.25 x 60
1 x 180
5 x 300
20 x 20
100 x 5

Also either do a .5/.5 game or a .25/.5 games, if you do the .25/.5 game don’t add .5 chips

There are a lot of decent ways to go about this.

Even if the game is limp heavy, I still recommend just 100 quarters. Teaching everyone how to properly and efficiently make change is easy, and it allows you to make the most of your chipping dollar. In your game, it seems like $1 chips will be the main betting chip, followed by the $5. 100/300/150/50 will give you a bank of over $2300. If things go crazy, $100 bills can play.

And finally, if this truly is a limp-fest, you might want to try moving down to .05/.10 or .10/.20.
Agree with everything but quoted. I love having 200 of my fracs for my baby-bottom soft microstakes limpfests, BUT I don't think its indicative of having to move down stakes. Maybe I'm misreading, wouldn't be the first time, but if anything my players limp too much because its too low, not because its too high and they're scared to raise. I think if there's 9 guys seeing a flop just limping in, its not because they're too scared to raise, its because they're playing trash cause its only 10 cents.

Just my input. Yes to more fracs, absolutely no to 300 of them lol. I have 200 and its excessive at my full ring.

Assuming you're playing one table: I play a game like you described weekly. If it is a "soft" game, I'd give starting stacks that contain at least 12 quarters, preferably 16. It has been my experience at this type of game to reduce people making change during the night.
Good Luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom