Scam Paulsons on Ebay -- heads up! (2 Viewers)

ninjajim4

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I know this forum isn't a big fan of chipping on eBay and here is one more datapoint. Just came across these Paulson sets all sold by the same seller, rodstan123. I just wanted to give everyone the heads up NOT to contact them via the auction description or otherwise even bid on these items. I just went through the seller's history and he has almost 42 THOUSAND positive reviews... all for stamps. Now, he's suddenly got all sorts of random rare, expensive stuff listed -- this is clearly a hacked account. Beware!

CDIs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364709535637

WTHCs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364709561227
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315131149840

Classics:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315131157575

Couldn't we be more worried about you since you only joined the forum like 2 weeks ago and now trying to save us from what you deem as fake listings? Is eBay buyer protection available? isnt that what its for?

1706760421293.png

Couldn't we be more worried about you since you only joined the forum like 2 weeks ago and now trying to save us from what you deem as fake listings? Is eBay buyer protection available? isnt that what its for?

View attachment 1265316
Well if you look at my post history then you'll see I'm looking around for a set of exactly these kind of chips, which is why I came across these listings. Also the listings are trying to get people to contact them and conduct a sale off of eBay, where there are no protections. But if you'd rather turn it around on me, knock yourself out

Those same pics have been used multiple times in scam sales. Definitely would not trust it. Usually they have hacked a legit account and include a pic directing you to another website where they attempt to gain financial information from you. They have been doing this for years. This seems like a new tactic since they usually get reported pretty quick. I bet once it is over they try to scam the buyer somehow.

Edit: oh I see they just moved it from pics to the description page. 1000% scammers. There are other threads where this has popped up before.

There are a dozen of the pics the scammer uses that stick out like a sore thumb in my typical eBay search. An honestly rare early Dunes chip is the dead giveaway there is a new batch on the way. The WTHC's in the cage is the other one.

I report them as soon as I see them and have started mentioning "possible compromised account" in the notes.

It's almost a hobby reporting these anymore. These are the newest batch with the last less than a week ago.

It only has to work once per cycle for the scammer to make enough money to make it worth keeping it up.

Those same pics have been used multiple times in scam sales. Definitely would not trust it. Usually they have hacked a legit account and include a pic directing you to another website where they attempt to gain financial information from you. They have been doing this for years. This seems like a new tactic since they usually get reported pretty quick. I bet once it is over they try to scam the buyer somehow.

Edit: oh I see they just moved it from pics to the description page. 1000% scammers. There are other threads where this has popped up before.
So the scam is to solicit offsite offers that lead to sales outside of the eBay buyer protection scheme etc.

Well if you look at my post history then you'll see I'm looking around for a set of exactly these kind of chips, which is why I came across these listings. Also the listings are trying to get people to contact them and conduct a sale off of eBay, where there are no protections. But if you'd rather turn it around on me, knock yourself out
I just have a healthy level of scepticism. Im like how convenient the newbie looking for these chips is now warning people its a scam drawing attention to the scam and someone might see and it think its not a scam therefore you have brought more attention to it to it to increase the chance of a successful scam. The good ol reverse reverse tell so to speak.

I just have a healthy level of scepticism. Im like how convenient the newbie looking for these chips is now warning people its a scam drawing attention to the scam and someone might see and it think its not a scam therefore you have brought more attention to it to it to increase the chance of a successful scam. The good ol reverse reverse tell so to speak.

Figure It Out What GIF by HyperX

:LOL: :laugh:

So the scam is to solicit offsite offers that lead to sales outside of the eBay buyer protection scheme etc.
I think it is to just get your payment and personal identification information, then you (or at least your credit card company) get screwed. The product does not exist. That CDI set with pics in the black case was actually sold by someone on PCF if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
If warning about a scam while asking for nothing is suspicious to you, well, hey, you got me, bud. Nice sleuthing.

Gee it sounds almost as if you didn't know how the scam works and this thread actually has value...

There are a dozen of the pics the scammer uses that stick out like a sore thumb in my typical eBay search. An honestly rare early Dunes chip is the dead giveaway there is a new batch on the way. The WTHC's in the cage is the other one.

I report them as soon as I see them and have started mentioning "possible compromised account" in the notes.

It's almost a hobby reporting these anymore. These are the newest batch with the last less than a week ago.

It only has to work once per cycle for the scammer to make enough money to make it worth keeping it up.
If this is a regular occurrence then I'm sorry to point it out needlessly. I'm not going to say I've been religiously keeping tabs on eBay but I had never seen this before and while it's not something I would get duped by, I've seen plenty of people get conned by even more obvious scams than this.

View attachment 1265316
Dude, you’ve been around here awhile, and you keep up-to-date on just about all the posts. How have you missed these before?? Instead of calling out the new guy, about two seconds worth of investigation into his listings, you would have probably drawn the same conclusion as him (well, at least I hope you would have) because it’s slap in the face obvious.

Do we agree that the eBay listings are fake/scammy? I don't peruse eBay enough to know for sure.

If yes, then why are we jumping on the new guy for trying to report potential fraud and keep chippers safe?
Couldn't we be more worried about you since you only joined the forum like 2 weeks ago and now trying to save us from what you deem as fake listings?

I'm so confused.

Last edited:
Do we agree that the eBay listings are fake/scammy? I don't peruse eBay enough to know for sure.

If yes, then why are we jumping on the new guy for trying to report potential fraud and keep us safe?

I'm so confused.
I thought the same thing. I’m still searching left field for some kind of clue.

If yes, then why are we jumping on the new guy for trying to report potential fraud and keep us safe?

I'm so confused.
well now that all of the details of how the scam works then yeah new guy gets a pass. ;)

prior to that it was just a person point out listings that were scams but without advising what the actual scam was.

On the surface someone may have clicked curiously wanting to know what the scam was. Then without the knowledge of what the scam is, decided for themselves that OP was wrong and it isnt a scam and then inadvertently gets scammed anyway.

Just because someone brings attention to something doesnt automatically mean they are innocent. It could be part of the plan. Ive seen and heard of too many scammers playing the long game especially once a level of trust has been established by a somewhat seemingly good deed.

I'm not breathing, and I certainly don't appreciate the assumptions and accusations. I do things differently.

I know this forum isn't a big fan of chipping on eBay and here is one more datapoint. Just came across these Paulson sets all sold by the same seller, rodstan123. I just wanted to give everyone the heads up NOT to contact them via the auction description or otherwise even bid on these items. I just went through the seller's history and he has almost 42 THOUSAND positive reviews... all for stamps. Now, he's suddenly got all sorts of random rare, expensive stuff listed -- this is clearly a hacked account. Beware!

CDIs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364709535637

WTHCs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364709561227
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315131149840

Classics:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315131157575
This is VERY interesting because I was literally searching watches this morning on eBay before I saw your post and I noticed that the same seller has a lot of AMAZING watches for sale at auction starting prices that are a fraction of what these watches sell for. I was also suspicious about the purchase protocal he suggests.

He says he owned a pawnshop that went out of business, but I have a hard time believing that a pawnshop could acquire so many expensive high end watches. A few of the watches being auctioned have bids already, so I'm watching them to see if the auction completes or if he kills them before the finish date.

But who knows? If anybody goes for it and purchases anything from him, please let me know if he's legit because I would love to grab an Audemar Piguet Royal Oak watch for a couple grand. :)

Thanks for the heads up!

View attachment 1265316
This is one of the most absurd take I have seen for a while. This is the kind of response that makes newer members not want to login again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom