Quick chip relabel tips - Save some time and get better results! (1 Viewer)

Phobos223

Pair
Reaction score
So I have been labeling a bunch of chips lately, and after doing a few racks my technique has evolved... I'm sure there are a million ways to do this, as some of you veterans can attest, but after doing a bunch if these and getting frustrated at times, I have just been flying through the last couple racks and had to share in hope of saving some fellow chippers some time! This is by no means a full guide, rather just a few tips, but feel free to comment or throw out suggestions. Like I said, this has been evolving and I'm sure by the time I get down to the last chip I will have learned a few other tricks!

Ok so once you get your labels from @Gear, the next thing to do is to get a decent hobby knife. I just used this rando I had laying around. Just make sure it is clean, doesn't have to be razor sharp. The key is to use this knife to handle the label the whole way through.

20170208_131953.jpg

Using the knife, peel the label off the paper. Only need to have about 1/8 inch of blade sticking to the label... Basically just the tiiiiipppppp...:rolleyes:

20170208_135106.jpg

20170208_132023.jpg

Get the chip aligned the way you want it and hover over the chip with the label and knife. Cool thing about this particular knife is I can set it completely down and there is just a millimeter or 2 between the blade and the chip. This allows me to fine tune the alignment of the chip to center the label!

20170208_132029.jpg

Once you are happy with the alignment, lightly press the center of the label to the chip, and pull the knife straight back and out. Don't peel up and off... pull it straight back and out!

20170208_132100.jpg

At this time you can do the final alignment check. If you are not happy just carefully peel the label off and start over.

Once you are happy, lightly press from the center out in all directions in order to keep any pesky bubbles from forming. Once its all smoothed out, give it a nice rub and viola! You're done :cool:

20170208_132239.jpg

That's pretty much it. Like I said, this is the easiest way I have found so far. I have been able to do a chip about every 20-30 seconds with this method. If you have any suggestions on how to improve please share!

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the tip! I have 200 chips coming that will get re-labeled so any help is appreciated.

I like the hatpin technique (I use a long one with a big knob on the end).

For the non laminated labels I use the tip of my pocket knife. For the laminated labels a finger works easily enough.

The hardest part is getting the labels off of the paper, if they are on the edge it much easier than in the middle. So I will cut the sheet into strips so all the labels are at an edge.

For the non laminated labels I use the tip of my pocket knife. For the laminated labels a finger works easily enough.

The hardest part is getting the labels off of the paper, if they are on the edge it much easier than in the middle. So I will cut the sheet into strips so all the labels are at an edge.
Yeah that was my experience doing non-laminated labels - peeling them off their backing paper was maybe the worst part of the job. This exacto knife method is what I'd try next time.

easily the simplest part of the process... Bend the paper near the label edge, and the label "pops" up...

easily the simplest part of the process... Bend the paper near the label edge, and the label "pops" up...

I was about to post the same thing, I thought maybe I just got lucky that my labels peeled off the paper pretty easily.

Then again I'm basically a caveman, I still clean my chips by hand too. :oops:

This hasn't been bad, almost done with 200 chips/400 labels.

I was about to post the same thing, I thought maybe I just got lucky that my labels peeled off the paper pretty easily.

Then again I'm basically a caveman, I still clean my chips by hand too. :oops:

This hasn't been bad, almost done with 200 chips/400 labels.

I have some Benny's quarters (handful) that appear to have worn labels. I'm replacing the labels with some spare labels I received from Joe (PGI). I think it think it's fairly painless. It took longer to remove the old labels, which were fairly well adhered.

DSC08861.JPG

Have you tried it with unlaminated labels?

My labels were unlaminated labels from Gear.

I realize that question wasn't intended for me, but I did mention that getting the labels off with my fingers using that method worked well for me.

My labels were unlaminated labels from Gear.

I realize that question wasn't intended for me, but I did mention that getting the labels off with my fingers using that method worked well for me.
Ha. Well maybe I'm a dumbass. I can't believe I didn't try the bend the paper technique, but maybe I didn't. It was definitely a pain in the ass for me. I actually ruined several of the labels, trying to get them off the paper. Good thing Gear includes extras.

I only botched 1 label out of 400, and it was from putting it on crooked and causing it to overlap the mold a tiny bit. There's a few with small bubbles but even normal inlays have imperfections.

I've worked a lot of retail jobs where I applied stickers, that's just how I've always peeled them off. I knew that would come in handy somewhere down the line!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom