Inlay removal tips? (1 Viewer)

kimbless

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
So I'm starting to remove some inlays from some Paulsons and I can't stop cutting into the edge of the chip. Is there a way for me to stop cutting into it besides not cavemanning the knife? I find the deeper I cut, the easier it is to remove the inlay in one piece but it's also making the knife slip and cut into the edge.

Thanks y'all!

Cut a V-shape in the middle of the inlay and stay away from the borders...

Lift the point of you V-shape and pull (you will need tweezers)...with modern inlays you should be able to peel it in one go (with some pratice)...fwiw i did +3000 chips already)

Check the tutorial thread for more info

Don't cut deeper then needed to cut just the laminate...it's easy to 'scoop' clay with the V-shape and even with thick clear laminated labels, you will always be able to see these 'holes'

Last edited:
Cut a V-shape in the middle of the inlay and stay away from the borders...

Lift the point of you V-shape and pull (you will need tweezers)...with modern inlays you should be able to peel it in one go (with some pratice)...fwiw i did +3000 chips already)

Check the tutorial thread for more info
Lol, I probably should have read more into that thread before posting. I got to the video of someone cutting to the edge and pulling the inlay up and I tried doing that on a few chips with not so great results. I'll try the v cutting, thanks for the tip Thomas!

So I'm starting to remove some inlays from some Paulsons and I can't stop cutting into the edge of the chip. Is there a way for me to stop cutting into it besides not cavemanning the knife? I find the deeper I cut, the easier it is to remove the inlay in one piece but it's also making the knife slip and cut into the edge.

Thanks y'all!
Send to @Gear ;)

Lol, I probably should have read more into that thread before posting. I got to the video of someone cutting to the edge and pulling the inlay up and I tried doing that on a few chips with not so great results. I'll try the v cutting, thanks for the tip Thomas!
See my updated post...and you are welcome

Take your time...NEVER rush it.
Fingers are more important then (most) chips ;)

I don't mind doing the work, I just don't want to damage the chips haha.
See my updated post...and you are welcome

Take your time...NEVER rush it.
Fingers are more important then (most) chips ;)
Risky cutting to save time has definitely impacted the process lol. I cut my finger pretty good yesterday and that 100% stopped the inlay removal. I probably should have posted this yesterday and I probably would have gotten through more than 4 chips haha.

and thanks for the tip on cutting deep. I tried cutting REALLY deep to try and get the inlay in one piece like the video. I think the v shape cut will be a lot easier to do and less worry about cutting into the edge. Thanks a bunch Thomas, this is excellent info.

I’ve found cutting at an angle (away from you of course) vs straight down lowers the chance of cutting the clay.

Goal is to slice through the plastic and a little bit of the sticker and it should be enough to peel off (for newer chips).

I’ve found cutting at an angle (away from you of course) vs straight down lowers the chance of cutting the clay.

Goal is to slice through the plastic and a little bit of the sticker and it should be enough to peel off (for newer chips).
I'm going to try the V and this method. I was kinda just cutting straight down into the chip. The chips I have are definitely a bit older and I noticed that some inlays are easier to remove than others. Some have definitely been a bit trickier and some have come off clean.

Go look at what I posted in that thread and don't listen to any of the v stuff. 1 cut is all that is necessary and the angle of the knife should be almost parallel to the face of the chip so you don't dig in and damage the chip.

The idea of cutting the laminate is to get the laminate off, not the vinyl

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom