Poker Superstitions/Rituals.... What are yours? (1 Viewer)

bsdunbar1

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I NEVER look at 1 card before I have two, and then I only look at them one at a time.
I have 1 specific shirt I have won more money in than any other, and I save it for when I really need that league win (like that's not every week :eek:)
I will never use a Colorado Buffalo card guard again
I cycle through card guards to find a "winner". The one I win the most with is the cheapest plastic chip I have

I’ve never hired a poker coach but I do have a lucky coach on retainer. He teaches me how to be more lucky.

never use a coin as a card protector
never count your money, when you’re sittin at the table
never look at cards before all have been dealt

Never look at my cards until the action is on me. Otherwise I get in my head and decide what I am going to do before others have acted. Usually ends badly. So it's hard to play online.

Need to use my Jessie Beck $25 as a card cap. My poker chi is fucked without it.

I never engage in coital activity on game day (and don't get to engage in one the next day anyway:D)
On a more serious note, I like to be slightly overdressed rather than risk being underdressed for any given game's social setting.
But maybe that's more psychological than superstitious.
I also dislike being moved from a seat, and this is a reason tourneys are not my first choice.

I'll never look at my hole cards if there's a misdeal-redeal.

Every game I’ve played wearing my Cooperstown colors Astros shirt I’ve either won or come in second. It’s my lucky shirt now so I didn’t wear it at the next game I hosted to try and let someone else cash and still came second. Not that I’m a poker god, just my pals are rubbish

Not really a superstition but once in a while, usually after a a big pot or two I get this tingling feeling in my chest. When ever this happens it is followed shortly by a string of unlucky shit. Like flopping a set when someone flops a hidden straight or having pocket KK beat by AA. Usually within 15 minutes. It’s happened so many times that I should stop playing when it does but I always convince myself that I’m ridiculously for believing such a thing!

No $50's as mentioned above
No playing out of a rack
Look at both cards at the same time
Seems like I run better at certain venues. https://rcgpoker.com/ has rotating locations and there are some I will not go to based on previous results.

I never engage in coital activity on game day (and don't get to engage in one the next day anyway:D)

I will never be superstitious regarding coital activity. There's a reason it's called "getting lucky"!

I used to have several, but I've abandoned most of them...I would categorize a couple of those that remain as more of a standard practice than a superstition...

- I never look at my cards before it is my turn (that's just a good habit). I was surprised the other day, though, when a somewhat experienced player (at least not a newbie) asked me why I wait because it slows down the game.
- Always use a card cover of some kind, even if you are nowhere near the dealer (again, probably just a good habit).
- Always shave the day of or the night before a tournament. (I have no idea why I do this.)

No $50 bills allowed at my home game. My guys know better. No midgets either.

Last night's rake. :eek:

Midget strippers are encouraged though.

20181019_123101101_iOS.jpg

Many people do this. Why wait until everyone is focused on you to check your cards? If also slows the game down, as @Gobbs' friend mentioned.

Yeah, I never understood that either. If you're afraid of giving away tells when looking at your hole cards then why wait till the entire table is looking right at you to look. :unsure:

Right. Better to train yourself to check your holdings, handle your cards the same way, whether it's a playable hand, semi-playable hand, or a snap fold. Then, consider all the action in front of you before acting yourself.

Last edited:
Many people do this. Why wait until everyone is focused on you to check your cards? If also slows the game down, as @Gobbs' friend mentioned.

Must admit, I'm also in the "do it when all the attention is on someone else's tells" corner. Just makes more sense.

I do not wear my favorite NFL team's gear to the table

I wear anything but my 'Lucky' brand boxer/briefs

I have a beard and own multiple beard products and I always wear the same scented beard oil to the table. Maybe it's a therapeutic effect because it's scented with Hops, Cannabis, Coffee, and Tobacco

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom