Play AK with me (1 Viewer)

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

If that's the case (and I've seen you play 20+ beers deep), it proves my point one cannot assume drunkard is brain dead. You've always played great regardless of level of inebriation, LOL!!!
Thank you for the compliment!! You might see it again in just a few days :cool

Okay - the action is on hero. I have AK and I will admit, it is a hard hand for me, as I am not very good playing it post-flop if I don't spike an A or a K. So I snap shove.

Everyone folds, I win dead money

The reason I posted this is because I wanted to see where I made the wrong choices, and how I can improve what always seems to be an impossible hand for me. Clearly I raised too light preflop, but was the shove too risky? In hindsight it worked this time, but should I have played it differently?

I do agree your raise was too small, but after that I support the shove

I don't hate calling on the button either with position and knowledge of 1 opponents hands

I just like the shove better because AK holds up better against 1 hand than 3

Clearly I raised too light preflop, but was the shove too risky? In hindsight it worked this time, but should I have played it differently?

I agree, Craig. Pre-flop raise could have been larger after 3 limpers. It ended up helping you in the end as it might have induced SB to 3-bet and BB and UTG to call. Also, it gave you a bigger shove to fold 99s.

IMO, shoving is the best move by a good margin. It's hard to think of a better squeeze situation. Two week 3-better callers and a 3-bettor you know his cards?! YES, please!! Again, just my opinion but that's the only play here.

Yeah I want to be clear that this is printing money because of the fold equity you get when shoving. If the limper is folding frequently and utg folds ~90% to your shove, if sb folds even 20% of the time you're just making a ton of money in the long run here.

In conclusion, you played it well except for your raise sizing which I would have made much bigger. Additionally, this is a high variance route where in which you will lose your stack sometimes.

But it is still much, much better than flat calling behind and going into the flop three ways.

Agree with a stronger raise. But each situation with the same stakes, cards and position, will be different depending on table climate, player tendencies, etc.
It looks like, the way you played it was perfect for maximum profit without seeing a flop. If you raised stronger, sb might not have raised and consequently be 4 handed at a flop with $126 in the pot. If you raised to $30 and sb popped it up to $90, bb and utg might not have called. And if you move all in, sb might say f*** it and call - no dead money.

I was thinking if you shove, you could say something like "I'm putting you on 99.... and I'm all in." Does that change villain's play?

You can’t say that, there were still others in the hand. Besides, I know he is drunk and probably won’t have the capacity to think he might have shown his hand to what you “guessed”, but don’t take the chance and tip him off that you know what he is holding.

Easy to say now that I know what happened, but I agree with the consensus. The initial raise was light, but the shove was perfect. If it had been just heads up with you and the 99, there is room for more options (since you know his hand), but in your position, shoving is the correct move.

You can’t say that, there were still others in the hand.

Agreed (after re-read). :oops:

but don’t take the chance and tip him off that you know what he is holding.

Disagree. Hero has a TAG image and hasn't shown down yet. This may reinforce his table image. Is drunk villain going to go down the rabbit hole of 'he knows what I have, so maybe he is bluffing with a worse hand, expecting me to fold,' or is he going to just see hero as being able to read souls? If the result is that SB avoids future action, even that is exploitable.

my table image in that 30 min is probably TAG as I've won 2 hands with no showdown.

Not saying you're wrong. Just saying we have different perspectives.

Last edited:
I like a raise to 20-25, erring on the higher side. Being on the button here is great too, because it looks like we may just be taking advantage of our position and the limpers.

Now, if you think one of the blinds is likely to raise themselves, you could limp with the intention of reraising
Agreed. This is my avenue. I like to disguise and let the action play out in front of me. The re-raise is solid.

So I'm playing $1/$3 at the Rivers in Pittsburgh. I've been at the table about 30 minutes and look down at AKo in the button. 3 players limp to me. My stack is $360, and my table image in that 30 min is probably TAG as I've won 2 hands with no showdown.

Players: SB is drunk aggressive, splashy. $400 (he has 9/9 - shows cards frequently)
BB appears skilled, but plays a lot of hands. Knows when to get away, but has made hero calls. $900

UTG - just sat down, seems to be college kid grinder type. Chips in random piles, looks like $600

Last two are an old guy calling station with $175 and a guy with his wife behind him. $200.

It's my action.
Raise to 21-25. Hero has perfect information against sb. He can play perfect against sb postflop due to position and actually knowing his hand.

If hero wishes to turn his hand into a bluff on later streets, it’s starts with a preflop raise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom