Play AK with me (1 Viewer)

AK is just a decent drawing hand.

You're close to a coinflip. So if you're getting more than 1:1 pot odds it's profitable long-term

You're close to a coinflip. So if you're getting more than 1:1 pot odds it's profitable long-term
This ignores that I know what my opponent's cards are. If I call, then the flop comes something like K83 rainbow, I'm getting all in way better than 50%. And if the flop is J87, I can fold very nicely. I'm closing the action, so right now I call and see a flop. Everything else is -EV compared to that line. Plus I have other opponents staying in. I promise you at least one of my aces and kings is gone.

This ignores that I know what my opponent's cards are. If I call, then the flop comes something like K83 rainbow, I'm getting all in way better than 50%. And if the flop is J87, I can fold very nicely. I'm closing the action, so right now I call and see a flop. Everything else is -EV compared to that line. Plus I have other opponents staying in. I promise you at least one of my aces and kings is gone.

Gotta disagree. You are assuming that your opponent will just pay you off on a K83 rainbow flop

Not to mention, the limpers could hold 88 or 33

You also can't assume the callers have an Ace or King, I see plenty of players at these limits play all sorts of junk hands to raises, because they just "have to see the flop", ......as long as it's not an all-in bet

Gotta disagree. You are assuming that your opponent will just pay you off on a K83 rainbow flop

Not to mention, the limpers could hold 88 or 33

You also can't assume the callers have an Ace or King, I see plenty of players at these limits play all sorts of junk hands to raises, because they just "have to see the flop", ......as long as it's not an all-in bet

Just a question. But we can't imagine that UTG or really even the BB is holding 33 here?? Or even 88 for that matter, right?? I mean, BB saw SB cards too.

Yes. Sloppy like picked them up and held away from face sloppy. Pretty sure BB saw as well.

Query: do you fell obligated to share this information with the table, or at least let the SB/dealer know you saw his cards?

Also, there is a good chance SB already forgot he has 99.

SB is drunk aggressive, splashy.
I was in Pittsburgh?!

Guy with hot wife folds.

Apparently, I was in Pittsburgh too.

/humblebrag

It’s interesting the perspective of the pot odds. As an over all sum of the hand, you put in 360 to win 456. But at the current time of action you would put in 345 (15 raise already in pot) to win 471, which increases your pot odds.
The over all sum is pretty much getting even money with the percentage to win - with an advantageous factor that sb has a chance to fold and assuming BB and UTG will fold.

and assuming BB and UTG will fold.

Or call with weaker hands, increasing the size of the pot to be won. Essentially it's hard for us to be dominated in this spot in most instances, so even if we get called by 99, TT and JJ we still just need to hit 1 of our cards to win

Definitely true. Personally, I wouldn’t like to race with a buy in amount. Not that your philosophy is wrong. I would wait for better returns or rather have 99. But, realistically wouldn’t call a 4 bet all in if I was sb.
Best case, everyone calls - bb has A2 and utg has 99 :wow:

Let's assume for the moment that Hero shoves and SB calls, folding out the field. $96 in dead money less $6 in rake leaves $90 plus $360 + $360. $810 in the pot.

AKo vs 99 is a 55.3% / 44.7% "flip" (could be 54.9% to 55.7% depending on how many shared suits are in play). 44.7% X $810 = $362. Hero is risking $345 to call, but he made the original raise with open eyes. +$2 or +$17 ev is a profit, but it is a rather trivial win. Not sure I call it "printing money".

I assumed away the risks and rewards involved with the rest of the field. This is four way action, so two more villains are in the mix. BB may have the same general information Hero has about SB's pocket nines. He likely doesn't know that Hero knows. UTG is also an issue - college grinder sitting down with $600? Let's just say he likely isn't playing T2 because Doyle won twice with it.

Hero should look for a more profitable line than an isolation jam. Huge variance, minimal profitability. Plus the other villains could prove to be troublesome. I particularly worry someone else will call a jam with AK as well - not likely but oh my it would SUCK! I think I said this a few days ago. Heads you win, tails we split the pot is a terrible thing.

So lets say Hero flats. The pot is $180. The SPR is a bit less than two. Hero is playing fit/fold now - miss the flop and the hand is over. Hero also has a second target. Maybe BB thinks he can play any two cards vs the pocket nines. Makes him especially at risk holding a weaker ace or king.

I must admit UTG bothers me still. I would rate UTG as assumed to be competent till proven otherwise. I have to wonder what type of hand he might play this way - limp UTG then call down a stiff 3-bet not knowing the original raiser isn't jamming.

I call it this way: flat > jam ~=fold

DrStrange

I would rate UTG as assumed to be competent till proven otherwise. I have to wonder what type of hand he might play this way - limp UTG then call down a stiff 3-bet not knowing the original raiser isn't jamming.

I assume everyone sucks at poker until they prove otherwise

Even for a drunkard, stacking off with 99 against a large 4-bet shove from the original raiser is definitely not a given (what's 99 expecting? being crushed or race?). Also, it's way more likely the weak limp/callers will fold as well. That equity should play a role, and I call it significant role, in the equity calculation. In case it folds around, it's pure pot profit. If called by SB only, +$17 EV. If called by one or two of the others, it might not be bad also since we dominate all Ax and Kx and are racing against other pairs. Love the situation personally. Flatting brings us -$30 about 60% of the time when we miss. The other 40%, we might not get paid a certain amount of time and some other amount we might be behind a set or two pairs. We'll only get paid if 99 decides to shove on a A or K high board, or check calls that board. Don't love it.

I'm not disagreeing with the plan, but I am also not giving this guy too much credit for being a thinking player.

I'm not giving him much credit for it also, that's why I'm saying "some" folding instead of "a lot" of folding.

What I cannot do is to simply ignore any fold equity in the analysis.

UTG as assumed to be competent till proven otherwise
Same assumption from me. In the short experience at the table my analysis is that he is the most skilled at the table - short his number of hands played. Granted 30 minutes is not enough time, it's possible he's just had a nice run of cards. His showdown hands have all been solid playable hands.

Please elaborate

When you shove into Villains 3-bet, the is some likelihood it will fold around, even knowing Villain has 99. What's the frequency of that fold, not sure but it is not zero. And if it's not zero, that equity of Hero scooping up a uncontested pot should be taken into account. I would argue that it is more likely than not a thinking player will fold 99 there. Drunkard? Not as likely but not a zero chance.

And again, even if he is always calling (and others folding) we still have a +$17EV. Passing on a 5% EV is not very wise imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom