PCF Wine appreciation thread. (5 Viewers)

I think just CS and Merlot, but a quick search didn’t turn up the technical sheet. It was good, not great. I expected a bit more from a 2010 Pauillac. Honestly prefer the 2010 Larose Trintaudon over this.

ETA: I do remember it was high CS proportion, 70-75% iirc. Saw the blend listed for the 2012 and did include small quantities of Carmenere, Malbec, and PV. Each in the 1-2% range, with merlot the remainder. So possible the 2010 is somewhat consistent with that.

Last edited:
trying 8 years in the desert, Zimbabweo_O Zinfandel blend with Zin, Syrah, petite Syrah and Grenache. Nice jammy, red fruits, and big. Fun wine.
34ADCE32-7C2A-4966-9C43-7DA357837836.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ll be honest: I actually prefer my wines on the younger side. I seem to enjoy the tannic punch to the face when you pop and pour a younger bottle - then I enjoy as it mellows out and becomes smoother over the night (or two, even).

One thing I’ve discovered over time: older doesn’t necessarily mean better, especially if poorly stored. It just means different - and that different isn’t one I enjoy as much as wines that haven’t reached a certain point in their development.

That Chateau Paloumey I see peeking in next to the Lilian Ladouys (a good value St Estephe in its own right!) is one of my favorite cru bourgeois wines and estates. I have two left from 2009. They’re fully mature and won’t be getting any better, so need to drink them.

That’s funny... that’s what i was planning on taking for dinner tomorrow! Just a 2010 bottle instead.

Nice selections :tup:
2006 Chateau Gloria was one of the wines we had at my wedding in 2018. I went a bit overboard with wine and liquor options.. several types of gins, vodkas, bourbons, scotches.. and since the wedding was in Ireland.. Jameson, Red Breast and Teeling... and of course Guinness on tap... best wedding I've ever been to (I may be a little biased).

That Chateau Paloumey I see peeking in next to the Lilian Ladouys (a good value St Estephe in its own right!) is one of my favorite cru bourgeois wines and estates. I have two left from 2009. They’re fully mature and won’t be getting any better, so need to drink them.
Always looking for good Haut-Medoc at reasonable prices.. let me know any other recommendations :tup:

You’ll enjoy it straight from the bottle! Let us know!
It's classy enough wine to pour in a glass ;)

If you’re a fan of Gloria (and who isn’t?!?) then check out Chateau Bel Air from the Haut Medoc. Made by the same family, in a prime Haut Medoc location along the river. I believe it recently changed names to Bel Air Gloria, to distinguish from other chateaux with similar names.

5A37BD8E-26BE-4F37-BA77-A198506FAD7E.jpeg

Also a big fan of Larose Perganson. Picked up half a case and been very impressed with it. It’s at the top end of the cru bourgeois/Haut Medoc range, but the value shines through.
E6A74C35-ED71-4C33-B344-62BD01495B88.jpeg

Metohi is the Greek for monastic property (actually, metohee is the word for a share / stock, financially speaking).

This wine is Cabernet Sauvignon plus the local Limnio, both cultivated by monks at the Metohi of Chromitsa, in the peninsula of Mount Athos, an autonomous region of Greece, dedicated to its 20 Monasteries, attracting monks from all over the Orthodox Christian world (including several highly educated ex-Protestants from Anglo-Saxon nations). Access is limited to licensed male pilgrims, including convincingly respectful males of other creeds. :D

Anyway, it's a steal for 10 Euros here (don't have any idea about how much it would cost beyond EU limits, due to the stupid trade wars currently developing).
Seen here accompanying various shades of arabiata (towards arabiatissima)
Metohi1.jpg
Metohi3.jpg

Metohi label.jpg
Metohi arabiatta.jpg

Simonopetra2.jpg

Simonopetra.jpg

Got the V-day dinner out of the way early! This stuff is such a great value to me. Plus the wife even enjoys it so that’s a bonus I think...
View attachment 407734

My wife really isn’t a red wine drinker at all. Yet, never fails that when I pull out a nice Margaux, Pauillac, or other similar bottle, she manages to pull out a wine glass.

She has no real appreciation for a quality Bordeaux over a generic Robert Mondavi supermarket wine.

I think she has figured out when I’m pulling great bottles based on date, occasion, meal, etc.

I’m not sure how to feel. I think I’d rather her just have none! She can stick to her margaritas.

This has been coming for a while, and I’ve not been looking forward to it.

Any thoughts? We have seen how the 1855 classification has led to stagnation for some estates, which continue to rest on their laurels rather than continually advance. We’ve also seen wines overachieve relative to their 1855 classification. Lynch Bages and GPL being two that immediately come to mind.

I rather liked the yearly classification of the most recent cru bourgeois iteration.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bordeauxs-crus-bourgeois-du-m-150000241.html

It was great, definetly a St Julien, will probably keep my other bottle a few more years, I think it will benefit to get a few more years in the Eurocave.

Now you’re leading me into more questions! How large of Eurocave do you have and how long have you had it?

Three more suppers at home this week:

20200220.jpg
20200220b.jpg

The Perle du Sud is the usual grenache /syrah blend. I've been told it's available from Costco in a wooden box of three Provence roses for $30. Very pale, but a lot of flavor and acidity.

Merlots from the Perigord are much lighter than merlots from other regions, but we enjoy them....

The SuperTuscan with the Haring label is 60% Sangiovese, 30% Cabernet Sauv, 10% Merlot. It had been opened only an hour and a half before serving, and needed more time. We were told there were only 4,000 bottles produced.

"In 1989 the Castellani Family invited Keith Haring to Pisa to realize what would become one of his most important, permanent public works, the monumental mural “Tuttomondo”. On that occasion, the artist gave the family a wine label he had designed for the house wine of a friend’s restaurant, hoping that one day it could be used for a prestigious wine produced in Tuscany."

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom