PCF Wine appreciation thread. (1 Viewer)

At restaurant I tend to ask “do you have any red from south of the equator”... and then have to apologize and say it wasn’t intended to be a geography test.

But it saddens me how many people have no idea that, for example, Argentina is south of the equator. :banghead:

Ask instead if they have reds from south of the Mason-Dixon line:LOL: :laugh:
At 39o 43', that line would leave several Greek and Italian wines to qualify; not French ones, though.

....But it saddens me how many people have no idea that, for example, Argentina is south of the equator. :banghead:

Most Americans seem to think that the equator is much further north than it is. They assume it passes through the Caribbean Sea. And they assume that most -- if not all -- of Africa is below the equator.

Most Americans seem to think that the equator is much further north than it is. They assume it passes through the Caribbean Sea. And they assume that most -- if not all -- of Africa is below the equator.

After several years of this, I’m now under the impression that most Americans have a dim memory of the word ‘equator’ from school, know that it has something to do with maps, and I apparently give them a gnawing feeling that they should know what it is.

I’ve gotten, in reply to my question, suggestions for wines from France, Italy and California. :banghead:

EDIT: Just two nights ago: “Is Australia south of the equator?“

Last edited:
Came home from the SQM meetup to a little present. Krug 168
F91FDC34-875C-466E-8A88-8600AEACCF58.jpeg

So how is everyone storing their wine? Eurocaves, cellars, stacked in the basement?
Let’s see some PrOn too!

How was it?

I’ve seen the Kirkland Pauillac before but never picked it up. Wish I knew who the producer was, but apparently that’s a tight secret, even within Costco.

Pretty good nice simple wine. Drinking at a friends house so not sure on the price, but I understand that they are well priced.

I think the 2015 Pauillac was $23. At that price, it’s worth a shot, I think. Maybe it was a bit more - but was definitely less than $30.

How much longer would you give them?

If I could, at least another three years. Lytton Springs and Geyserville zins are among the most robust Ridges, and the recommendations on Ridge's back labels -- usually "five to seven years" -- are notoriously conservative. We're drinking our last 2010/2011/2012s now...

If you bought any of the Lytton Springs syrahs, I'd drink them sooner.

Enjoy them!

Another fantastic recommendation from @pltrgyst!

Thanks -- glad you enjoyed it. We had a few tennis/pickleball friends over for a Coronavirus Dinner last night, and destroyed those below, along with the remaining half-bottle of a nice Armagnac afterward. :(

The 2011 was Gruet's first vintage bottling; that and the 2012 are both richly-flavored and outstanding.

The Monstant on the left is a new wine to us. It paired beautifully with a luscious Latvian Pork Stew.

20200318_095017.jpg

This was our last bottle of the 2011:

20200318_214434.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom