PCF Wine appreciation thread. (6 Viewers)

Tuesday lunch
21CA0E9F-B15F-455B-A523-4734DA07FFB1.jpeg

Pinot Noir cultivated in the famous vineyard of Nemea (a specific part of it called Xerocambos or Dry Plain), Pelloponese, Greece, by His All Craftiness Mr. Papa-Ioannou, a Bordeaux-educated scientist AND farmer. The dirt can never be fully washed away from his hands. I 've been glad to meet him in person.

Pinot Noir.jpg
Pinot Noir II.jpg

Fish for supper, needed a white, and this one arrived today. Didn't even give it a chance to rest before popping one in the refrigerator for three hours.. Absolutely superb Rhone blend, Roussane and Marsanne, my favorite whites -- rich, tart, great with food or for sipping. It's hard to believe that a white this good is made in the US.

Cameron Hughes is just amazing. We haven't had one disappointing bottle out of more than 300 over the last three years. I could drink only his wines for the rest of my life -- they're that good.

20200325_101507.jpg

Great wine - how did you come upon it. I met the winemaker some years back when I ran an online wine business. Really nice guy who makes delicious wine!!
Yea I love the wines he makes. I was on the Quivet mailing list for a number of years until I ran out of room. The Kenefick Ranch is (was?) a great QPR for the region.

@pltrgyst I love that area, and it is driving distance for me (6-7 hours). I have been a member for years at Sea Smoke, which allows to get some Magnum which is great for keeping and for parties :)...

@Chester Copperpot the Pauillac sounds right for steak, younger, majority cab blend, I would expect more body great for the steak. I think the Pessac Leognanc might be a little more delicate...

Off course it could also be a two bottle steak day;)

I’ve had the 2009 before, and I’m more eager to try the younger Pauillac. Let’s see if more votes come in and what the result is!

I've been drinking Haut-Batailley since my first case of the 1970, and have never yet had the patience to let a bottle age to the point of starting to decline. I'd definitely want to let that bottle age for another five years, at least. 78% cab s.

The Baret is getting toward the end of it's projected peak years, plus it's 49% merlot, 48% cs. I'd drink it now.

The Haut Batailley intrigues me because it’s a Borie wine. Grand Puy Lacoste is probably my favorite affordable wine ever (people seem to love it or hate it), so I am interested in trying this property.

Interesting point, I sent a note to Emiline Borie and she invited me for a private tour of the chateau next time I’m in Bordeaux (won’t be any time soon - raising kids right now).

A more than century old oak stood in "Kyr (Sir) Yannis"'s estate in the region of central Macedonia till July 2019, when it was brought down by a strong tempest. Mr. Yannis Boutaris, in his 80s now, loved to rest under that tree and named this blend of Merlot, Syrah and local Xinomavro (Sourblack) after his beloved lost tree: "The Fallen Oak".
Apparently this wine started getting made (2017) before its eventual label name was dictated by the loss of the tree (2019)
fallen oak1.jpg
fallen oak2.jpg

Went with the 2009 Chateau Baret. Soft and delicate, indeed. Definitely fully rounded off now, probably drinking as nicely as it will.

Didn’t have charcoal (thought it was in the garage, but wasn’t), so had to improvise with a stovetop sear and oven finish. I’ll take it for an audible.
3A69DA95-0588-4041-93BE-CA0C7972717D.jpeg

7DAE8DEB-4370-4BB4-8341-D9C5B0D86F3F.jpeg

Last edited:
@Coyote I've seen your posts here and I'm thinking of ordering some Greek wines as they seem to be very good QPR at the moment. Which producers or wines (red wines at the moment) would you suggest besides the ones in your posts? I'm primarily looking for wines to drink in the short term but could snag up a few bottles for cellaring as well. I've only had Papaioannou Nemea red so far and thought that was very good for such an inexpensive bottle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom