PCF Wine appreciation thread. (4 Viewers)

On deck for tonight
E9996DDE-B0A7-404B-B83E-6B3803F92DD4.jpeg
EB58E9A4-9CFC-4A06-8AB7-3C76873E80D6.jpeg

OK, I'll bite and display my ignorance -- what is that last bottle? :cool

(I know of the winery, but nothing about their bottlings.)

OK, I'll bite and display my ignorance -- what is that last bottle? :cool

(I know of the winery, but nothing about their bottlings.)
Made by Aaron Pott, from the Stagecoach Vineyard up on Pritchard Hill. They try to come up with clever names for their single vineyard bottles.

Made by Aaron Pott, from the Stagecoach Vineyard. They come up with clever names for their single vineyard bottles.

So I take it you're a member/subscriber? I've never seen any of their wines on the east coast. Have you tried their Napa blends?

So I take it you're a member/subscriber? I've never seen any of their wines on the east coast. Have you tried their Napa blends?
I was for a few years before running out of room. They’re definitely Napa ripe but still have some structure since the proprietor was the winemaker at Troplong Mondot before.

Boring holidays, so I've been doing a little organizing of the wine racks, discovering some older bottles that have been long overlooked. Two of them were whites, bought well before the move to FL in 2013, that we'd never have kept around this long by choice:

PioneroAlbarinoF.jpg
PioneroAlbarinoR.jpg

Vermentino20191222.jpg
Vermentino20191222b.jpg

Despite -- or perhaps because of -- their extreme age, both were excellent. Straw colored and rich, excellent with red snapper and crepes filled with chicken and corn, respectively. Both held up through their meals and for an hour or so afterward without any noticeable degradation. Sometimes accidents bring pleasant surprises!

For any zin lovers looking for a real buy, Warehouse Wines & Spirits, in New York City, is selling the 2017 Ridge Three Valleys Red for $19.99 right now as a one-day special.

73% Zinfandel, 15% Petite Sirah, 10% Carignane, and 2% Grenache. 91 points from WS. It's Ridge's entry-level zin, but it's a very, very good daily drinker.

They ship at pretty reasonable cost (surface is ~$30 for 6, ~$48 for 12 to FL).

Ridge offer

For any zin lovers looking for a real buy, Warehouse Wines & Spirits, in New York City, is selling the 2017 Ridge Three Valleys Red for $19.99 right now as a one-day special.

73% Zinfandel, 15% Petite Sirah, 10% Carignane, and 2% Grenache. 91 points from WS. It's Ridge's entry-level zin, but it's a very, very good daily drinker.

Ridge offer
Thanks for the heads up Larry. :tup:

Ridge offer
Tennessee still prohibits bringing alcohol into the state without a licence. :(

I love living in the early 1800s still.

A quick, early rack of lamb supper last night at a favorite small local French place. My last bottle of Bogle Phantom 2010, and a 2014 Barrail Bellegrave St. Emilion, both outstanding.

Later on, the bubbly was Gruet Brut Rose. Better than the regular brut, close to the Blanc de Noirs. In the wee hours, cracked a bottle of Dalwhinnie House Stark Winter Frost -- not bad, but not great, either.

We spent all day yesterday, last evening, and this morning prepping food for about 50 tennis friends to arrive this afternoon any time after 1pm for our 29th annual Hangover Brunch -- I'll be making savory and sweet crepes and pouring the Gruet Blanc de Noirs all day...

Happy New Year, all!

BoglePhantom2010.jpg
20191231_173054.jpg
20191231_173103.jpg
20191230_195111.jpg
20191230_195118.jpg

20191230_104837.jpg

Attachments

• 20191230_195111.jpg
    20191230_195111.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
You lost me at Kim Crawford. :wtf:

However, I love the yoga pants commercials, so if your buying it keeps the sexy on the air... :tup:
Thanks for taking one for the team!
Kim Crawford and some of the cheap whites were for the people that wanted whites... Selyem, Rochioli and Cirq were from my celar, they were the amazing ones.

I'm not opposed to cheap whites, just Kim Crawford. It immediately hit our list of wines we will never buy again. The list, 20 years in the making:
  1. Beringer White Zif.
  2. Wine in a can - any can.
  3. Kim Crawford
It's a very elite group, that no amount of drinking can make taste good.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to cheap whites, just Kim Crawford. It immediately hit our list of wines we will never buy again. The list, 20 years in the making:
  1. Beringer White Zif.
  2. Wine in a can - any can.
  3. Kim Crawford
It's a very elite group, that no amount of drinking can make taste good.
1 and 2 are definetly banned in my house :). 3 I wouldnt not buy,

#2 has shown up on poker night, and has been left behind. Since I'm not one to waste anything, I'll try to cook with it, as a sort of a "Chopped" challenge. It helps me to up my cooking skills.

But even then, I'm not usually using the whole can.

These are only local wines so unfortunately no ones probably going to be able to source them but they were very nice
E1C6A3B7-F8BD-4E43-BFFA-DEC8AA2DD119.jpeg

@pltrgyst could definitely leave it in cellar for a few more years, but decanted (aerated) for an hour and a half and it was wonderful. Nice example of a great pomerol. we made a cassoulet, heavy meat and bean dish from the south west of France, and it held up its own really well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom