PayPal mishap

mike32

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I sent 4 transactions totaling $100 to my friend via PayPal, or at least I thought I did. I accidentally added a dot between his first and last name (john.doe@att.net vs. johndoe@att.net). PayPal kept telling me John Doe had received the money etc. but unfortunately I think I had the wrong John Doe who actually had a frickin’ account.
Did I torch a hundo? Anything I can do?
I filed a claim and sent an email to john.doe and we’ll see.

Forty4

Full House
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I’ve often wondered (been worried) about this. Often that I tell someone my incorrect email and they send it along.

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F&F, you might be sunk. But it's worth calling PayPal and pushing the issue.

sheikh617

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might get lucky by calling them. I have seen them return funds in the past.

mike32

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell your friend to get a PayPal payment address that is more specific than the most generic email address in the history of email addresses?
Like Adam 12 the names were changed to protect the innocent. His name is actually not that generic but there are a few more with the same name apparently.

LeGold

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I did that I was able to stop the transaction before the money was accepted. Could be I was lucky and the wrong recipient didn't have a PP account and had to accept it manually. Good luck!

Hornet

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under the well established legal principle of no takesy backsies, you’re screwed.;)

In all seriousness, let’s hope the recipient does the right thing. Paypal should help resolve it, but ultimately it’s going to be up to the recipient and how he will react.

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under the well established legal principle of no takesy backsies, you’re screwed.;)

In all seriousness, let’s hope the recipient does the right thing. Paypal should help resolve it, but ultimately it’s going to be up to the recipient and how he will react.
You just got LAWYERED.

Hot Nuts

Flush
Reaction score
Because of that, I like to have someone send me an invoice and then pay (or vice versa when I'm the seller), but iirc you can't then use F&F.

shorticus

Full House
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you said person hasn’t accepted the payment yet, you may be able to cancel the money sent via desktop application. Otherwise, contact customer service. I’m not sure if there’s a “request a refund” button on PayPal.

Payback

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure under normal circumstances that if you email PayPal they will correct the issue. However since you sent it in 4 transactions it could be a problem because who screws this up 4 times.... If it was one transaction of $400 it might be easier to say it was an error. Just email them and hopefully they will deal with it.

PGA PRO

Two Pair
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen when someone sent me funds. When sent they left a letter out. I went and setup the email they sent it to and added it to my PayPal account. Of course, this doesn't work if someone already has the email....

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen when someone sent me funds. When sent they left a letter out. I went and setup the email they sent it to and added it to my PayPal account. Of course, this doesn't work if someone already has the email....
Oooh, that's not a bad plan, if the email isn't used. Nice thinking.... Unless it's illegal, then... I'M GONNA BE LAWYERED.

Chile85

Straight
Reaction score
So, if you simply misplaced the period in a gmail address, nobody else can own that address. My email has a dot, they are optional when sending email. When you sent this "guy" an email asking if they can return the payment, it should have actually gone to your friend. This is a gmail feature and nobody can own the email address without a period.

Chile85

Straight
Reaction score
@mike32 Showing a pic to show a test I just did for ya.
1586199610945.png

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if you simply misplaced the period in a gmail address, nobody else can own that address. My email has a dot, they are optional when sending email. When you sent this "guy" an email asking if they can return the payment, it should have actually gone to your friend. This is a gmail feature and nobody can own the email address without a period.
This has nothing to do with it, but reminded me of something

There is a guy in Montana with the same name as me, one of three. His father, who is drunk and loves to email, used to email me 1-2 times a month yelling at me for stealing from his home and demanding me return his motorcycle.

I've explained like fifty times it's not me, and then he says "You can't hide from your father!!! Return my shit you asshole"

Heh. Yeah.

One Eyed Dollar

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, that is awesome! There used to be a guy in town with the same name as my dad (surprising since we have an unusual last name to begin with), and he was a deadbeat who didn't pay his bills, so we'd get collection calls for him all. the. time. Then my mom actually ran into the guy working at Firestone one day! So with great relish she could now tell the creditors, "you have the wrong number, BUT I can tell you where he works!!"

davin

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will prob get kicked back I had someone enter a I instead of a 1 once

nitzilla

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a guy with my same name that uses my Gmail.com email for his own "junk" mail........I get GM dealership emails about his car repairs and shit from a church he goes to...........asshole..........I would curse his name, but it's mine..........
Oh and he is a felon, charged with Child Molestation...........seriously..... :banghead: :banghead:

Goldfish

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that u may have more recourse if the payments came directly from ur bank account as opposed to your PayPal account. If it came directly from ur bank account, call ur bank. They have more incentive to correct the issue, and maybe even a legal obligation to correct an improper transfer ( just like a check). If the payments came directly from ur PayPal account u r at the mercy of PayPal (but they also have an incentive to police transfers made to the wrong payee).

Top Bottom