"I had a wonderful experience at the post office," said no one ever (1 Viewer)

ArielVer18

Flush
Reaction score
Some of you may remember my post in the Mailing Pr0n Showcase Thread: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/34406/post-2026271

I want to share the horror I had to go through to get a refund. Names have been changed to protect their anonymity, with the exception of the sender because he knows I’m posting this to share with the PCF community. If this is too long, there’s a TL;DR at the end.

Standard PCF Classified Transaction

In October 2022, @Northern Paladin posted a For Sale ad. I expressed my interest in purchasing it. Since I understand international shipping from Switzerland isn’t cheap, I expressed in PM that I was patient and that there was no rush to ship out my chips. He could take his time to find other things he was sending stateside and combine my chips in the package. I even joked that if I end up reshipping things to US chippers, he doesn’t have to worry about committing light tax evasion by under-declaring the value of the package since Americans don’t pay customs or import fees on most inexpensive items coming into the states.

In November 2022, I received a tracking number. I also received instructions to ship two small packages to two other stateside chippers.

Delivery Day

On Saturday, Dec 3, 2022, a USPS mail carrier rang my doorbell. In her hand was an opened cardboard box containing nothing but shredded Swiss newspaper. Package was stamped with a few "received without contents" and "received unseal." These stamps were likely my local post office's way of showing this poor condition was how they received it.

nvudKFO.jpg
aeZF1q7.jpg

ApgePGi.jpg
OpXKqg7.jpg
eJZyhUc.jpg

I was shocked and appalled beyond recognition. My eyes widened and my breath caught in my throat. My thoughts raced as I struggled to process what I was seeing and hearing. I rewatched my front door camera footage and saw myself unable to string together coherent sentences. Here’s the thing: I've dealt with porch pirates and burglarized mailboxes before, but never had I ever had a missing shipment from a non-business entity. If this was an Amazon.com or any other B2C internet purchase, all I had to do was to complain to the seller and they would refund me the full product cost. If a credit card was stolen from my mailbox and fraudulently used, one simple phone call to my bank and they’ll assure me that I’m not responsible for any fraudulent transactions and send me a new replacement credit card. However, things aren’t so simple for a forum purchase. I paid with PayPal “Friends and Family,” so technically the seller is a friend or family member, right?

The mail carrier wanted me to sign for the “package.” She used her USPS scan gun to scan the package DELIVERED and advised me to file a claim.

Missing Mail Search Claim

Later that night, I PMed @Northern Paladin about the situation and spent some time researching how to proceed. Firstly, I filed a Missing Mail Search Claim. I do have a couple photos of how it was packed and what was supposed to be inside. I shared those photos with USPS in addition to photos of how the package was delivered. This wasn’t the first time I purchased from this PCF member so I know he habitually spends a lot of time and effort carefully bombproofing packages. I also downloaded the video footage of the mail carrier handing me an empty box, took a screencap, and included it in the Search Claim.

A little after midnight Monday morning of December 5th, I received an email from USPS saying they’re closing my Missing Mail Search Claim because the tracking information indicate the package was delivered :mad:

I suspect this was an automated notification and requested the search to be reopened. As of this writing, USPS is still actively searching for the package. I get an email update approximately once a month saying they haven’t found anything yet, but at least they’re not closing the claim. I have no clue how hard they’re looking. Who knows? Perhaps they have at least four detectives down in the crime lab working in shifts? :sneaky:

How to Proceed

On Monday, Dec 5, 2022, @Northern Paladin confirmed the package was insured for 500 francs and that he started an insurance claim on his side. He passed along instructions from the Swiss Post, specifically that I needed to report the damage to my local postal service in an “internationally recognized report (form CN24)” and that I must “present the content found as well as the complete packaging and padding to the local post office.” He provided me with a screenshot of the Swiss Post email and graciously translated the French to English.

The instructions from the Swiss Post seemed similar to what I was able to find on the USPS website. According to the USPS website (https://www.usps.com/help/international-claims.htm), this is what to do when we receive a damaged international shipment:
  1. Physically present whatever I received to a Post Office for inspection
  2. Post Office will verify the damage
  3. Post Office will fill out the internal document PS Form 2856, Damage Report of Insured Article and Contents
  4. I will receive a completed PS Form 3831, Receipt for Article(s) Damaged in Mails
  5. If the package was insured, the reimbursement will go to the sender

These instructions are accurate as of this writing early 2023. If anyone in the future is reading this, please refer to the USPS website for the most recent information.

Other than no mentions of form CN24, the USPS instructions seem similar to what Swiss Post seems to want. Based on a cursory internet search, if this was a domestic situation, a claim can be started online and USPS will provide further instructions on how to proceed. If I was the sender of a damaged international package, I can also start the claim process online. However, there is no online process on USPS for receiving a damaged international shipment.

By the way, around this time @Northern Paladin started a group chat with the two US chippers I was supposed to reship to so we can all be brought into the loop.

Let’s get that Damage Report

On Dec 8, 2022, armed with the knowledge that I’m not limited to my local Post Office and can go to any Post Office, I went to one conveniently close to my work. I presented the empty cardboard box and said to the front desk clerk, “I received a damaged international package and I would like to file a Damage Report.”

Luckily, a supervisor was within earshot, heard what I said, and told the clerk that I was looking for a “2856.” I thought to myself, “Wow, he has the form number memorized, this process should be a breeze.”

The front clerk wasn’t able to quickly find the form on her computer, so the supervisor asked me to come inside into his office so he could assist me further. He introduced himself as Brian.

He slowly typed up the 2856 report (hunt and peck typist, ugh), printed it out, and somehow accidentally deleted the form without submitting. There was "INTERNAL USE ONLY" all over my printed copy of the 2856, so I don't think I was supposed to receive a copy anyways.

I asked for a 3831 since that's what the USPS website said I was supposed to receive. Again, Form 2856 is the damage report while Form 3831 is the receipt of the damage report. He filled out a 2856 again on his computer, filled out the 3831 by hand, and gave me a 3831 as a receipt. Unfortunately, Brian wasn't able to click SUBMIT on his computer for some reason. Perhaps a temporary technical error. He assured me that he has a saved draft of the report and will keep trying to submit it for the next few days.

I shared PS Form 3831 with @Northern Paladin and he shared it with Swiss Post. The Swiss Post told him the claim should be resolved by the end of the year.

The next day, I called USPS wanting to verify the Damage Report was properly submitted. Unfortunately, I had to navigate the excruciating phone tree. I hung up and gave up before getting to a human agent trusting Brian from yesterday’s interaction would promptly submit the Damage Report.

oof misplaced trust

Follow-Up

On January 3, 2023, @Northern Paladin mentioned that the Swiss Post was still waiting for some crucial information from USPS. They extended the case’s expected date of resolution from the end of 2022 to the end of January 2023. Swiss services told him that USPS was one of the entities with which they had the most problems to deal with in recent years. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Since it sounded like a USPS related roadblock, I called USPS. This time, I begrudgingly advanced through the phone tree to get to a human agent instead of hanging up and giving up.

Unfortunately, the phone representative was unable to find the Damage Report I supposedly requested on December 8th. As I was talking on the phone and reviewing the receipts and documents, I noticed a typo on the PS Form 3831 I received on December 8th. The USPS supervisor Brian that day made a fat fingered data entry error! One of the numbers in the tracking number was off by one digit!

For example, if CQ666666666US was the real tracking number, the tracking number I saw written on the 3831 form was CQ665666666US :mad:

One may realize this typo may be the main reason why Brian was unable to submit the Damage Report back on December 8th, 2022.

I mentioned this typo to the person on the phone. Since he was unable to verify any information I was describing, he gave me a different USPS phone number to call that’ll direct me to a different department who may be able to offer further assistance. However, since I’ve been on the phone for almost an hour and it’s after 8PM ET, I’d have to call back the next day.

The next day, January 4th, I called USPS again. The phone representative this time was more helpful and was able to see the inquiry from the Swiss Post regarding tracking number CQ666666666US from mid-December in the USPS system. Who knows why yesterday’s representative was unable to see it.

I once again proposed my hypothesis why the damage report may not be showing up under the correct tracking number. As a result, she said she’ll leave an internal note in the system that the Damage Report the Swiss Post is looking for may be found under the invalid tracking number CQ665666666US. However, since she didn’t have much faith that an internal note would do anything, she suggested that I go back to a post office to get a new damage report.

Luckily I still had the empty cardboard box in my possession. A fun stress free mid-day road trip to the post office was exactly what I had in mind :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Resubmission Attempt

This time I chose to go to the post office that normally services my home address. At this new post office, after a short wait, I plopped the empty cardboard box on the front counter and said to the clerk, “I received this damaged international package and I would like a 3831 for a 2856.”

Hindsight, it was a mistake to use post office verbiage and jargon because I may have came off like a smart-ass.

The front clerk seemed to have a vague idea of what I wanted, but she wasn’t confident so she rang the bell to escalate my inquiry to the post office’s supervisor.

Let’s call this post office’s supervisor Pam. After reviewing my predicament, she claimed I must file a claim online. I suspect there was a misunderstanding, so I clarified that I am not filing an insurance claim, nor do I expect to receive any recompense for any postal claims. I simply would like a Damage Report filed on the internal USPS system for a package I received from Switzerland so Swiss Post can move forward with the sender's insurance claim.

Pam insisted once again that I had to start the claim online and to bring a letter to the post office from that process. When I asked her if she had any literature to support her assertion, she directed me to the USPS website.

Again, unless I’m misunderstanding the procedure, in accordance with the USPS website (https://www.usps.com/help/international-claims.htm), the post office was supposed to verify the damage, fill out PS Form 2856, then provide me with a PS Form 3831.

When I showed this webpage to her on my phone, she doubled down to insist that she was correct and that I was wrong. She even claimed that it's possible USPS.com can show incorrect information on a mobile phone and the correct information on a desktop computer :rolleyes:

At this point, I was incredulous at how someone can make such an outrageous claim. She belligerently repeated that there's nothing she can do to help me. She even looked up the tracking information related to my package. Since there was no damage reported on the tracking information (no shit! It was scanned DELIVERED and I was there!), she claimed she cannot help file a damage report.

It befuddled me how one can be so obtuse. Whether or not the package was damaged was not in question. It was clearly damaged beyond a reasonable doubt! Was she concerned I removed the content and scuffed up the cardboard packaging in an attempt to file a fraudulent postal insurance claim? In a futile attempt to make her see reason, I showed her an uninterrupted and timestamped security camera video of a mail carrier handing me an empty cardboard box and asking me to sign for and acknowledge the damage. Pam wasn’t interested in viewing my video, stated she no longer cared, put her hands in the air, refused to further assist me, and told me to leave.

I asked for her full name. She wrote it down on a piece of paper with intentionally bad penmanship. However, I was able to match her chicken scratch to an employee on Linkedin and negative reviews at this post office on Yelp.

Resubmission Attempt 2: Electric Boogaloo

Steaming, I drove back to the post office I went to back on December 8th. I told the front desk clerk, “I received a damaged international package and I would like to file a Damage Report.”

She unenthusiastically said, “Oh, you need to do that online.”

“No, please, I RECEIVED a damaged international package. Is Brian here? He helped me last time.”

“Oh, one moment.”

She went to the back and reappeared a minute later.

“Brian is on the phone right now, but if you’d like to wait on the side, he can help you when he’s done.”

I stepped to the side in front of a dystopian looking gray door marked “Employee Only” and stood there waiting for half an hour.

Eventually, Abdul came out to greet me. I could tell from the start he was uninterested in helping me. He told me Brian is busy, but he is privy to my situation and asked me how he may help.

I was doubtful he was actually privy to my situation in full detail, so I started describing my predicament from the beginning. Abdul interrupted me to say that Brian remembers me from last month and already did a good job filing the damage report. Abdul wondered why I was back.

At this point I’m struggling to stay assertive and polite so I felt the need to drop some compliments to ensure Abdul does not see me as a rude bitter troublesome customer and tell me to leave like Pam did to me.

I insisted Brian’s integrity is not in question and that I’m thankful for his assistance last month. However, after reviewing the documents I received, I noticed a typo that may be causing an issue that I, the sender, and Swiss Post are experiencing.

He went into the back doing god knows what and came back out after ten minutes.

He verified that he can see the inquiry in the USPS system from the Swiss Post regarding this tracking number. He also claimed that, by looking up my home address, there is already a damage report uploaded mid-December.

Okay, that’s great! Now I know there’s a damage report related to my home address. I told him that everyone I’ve interacted with so far have been helpful and provided information I previously did not know, except for Pam from my local post office who provided me blatantly incorrect information. However, does the Swiss Post know to look for the damage report under my home address? May you please submit a Damage Report under the correct tracking number?

He thanked me for the compliment. Regarding Pam, he suggested I file a complaint with the consumer affairs department. He ripped a corner from my Form 3831 and wrote down a phone number: 1-800-ASK-USPS

I was fuming! I know that phone number is the number I’ve been calling the last few weeks because it’s the general customer support phone number. Is this a way to bounce me to a different USPS department or representative as a way to get me to go away?

By the way, this interaction reminded me of a story I heard where a disgruntled customer confronted a delivery driver of FedEx, a private shipping company, regarding the whereabouts of the customer’s package. However, the driver had no information regarding the customer’s situation and suggested he call Fedex for further assistance. The phone number?

The driver slowly said, “one.” Pause. “Eight hundred.” Pause. “Go.” Pause. “F–”

“You’re tell me to go fuck myself?!” The customer interrupted.

“No no! It’s 1-800-GO-FEDEX! It’s printed on my truck. Look!”

Anyways, back to my situation, in a soft calming voice that was clearly brimming with impatience, I once again clarified my situation.

“I’m looking for a Damage Report to be filed. Based on my countless recent interactions, I now have memorized that this is Form 2856. It should’ve been done last month by your office, but due to a data entry error with the tracking number, it’s possible the completed report was never uploaded to the USPS internal system. Most importantly, the sender told me his country’s postal office in Switzerland was unable to see the report. The Swiss sender is a friend, not some faceless cooperation, which is why I’m exerting so much effort to get this done in accordance with international postal standards. If this was a regular internet purchase, wouldn’t I just pester the seller for a refund and tell him to pound sand if he wanted me to waste time running errands? I’m not filing an insurance claim, nor do I expect any compensation from any insurance payout. The sender will get all that, if any. However, he desperately needs the help of our United States postal service. You already told me you saw the inquiry from the Swiss Post. This Damage Report is exactly what they’re requesting. Therefore, please, would you be so kind as to submit the exact same information under the correct tracking number?”

At this point, Abdul perused my receipt for a Damage Report (the Form 3831) and finally acknowledged the typo. He took my empty cardboard box, Form 3831, and other relevant documents (original and copies) I had on me to the back to fill out a new Damage Report.

After what felt like 15 minutes, he came back out holding only my old Form 3831, Receipt for Article(s) Damaged in Mails. The receipt had been amended with the current date and Abdul’s signature in a different colored pen. He assured this was sufficient as a receipt to prove he filed a Damage Report in the internal USPS system. He stated his office will keep the empty cardboard box in case any postal entity wishes to conduct further investigation, but I was free to come back to retrieve it after the resolution of the Swiss insurance claim. I thanked him for his assistance, wished him a Happy New Year, and left.

The total time wasted at these two post offices? Two hours.

Consumer Affairs Complaint

On January 13th, while it’s not directly related to resolving the insurance claim, I felt it wouldn’t hurt to file an online personnel complaint against Pam. I remember Abdul told me the Consumer Affairs department of the USPS handles these complaints, so I was easily able to find their contact information here: https://postalpro.usps.com/ppro-tools/consumer-affairs

This department is undergoing a name change and should be known as the Consumer & Industry Contact department in the near future.

Someone in Sacramento (state capital of California) called a couple times to acknowledge the complaint and asked me to provide some more additional information, which I did, but I do not care enough to follow up to find out if Pam received a stern talk, training regarding her behavior, or whatever.

Another Follow Up

On the morning of January 20, 2023, @Northern Paladin told me the insurance claim was denied. He shared some email exchanges between him and the Swiss Post as they attempted multiple times to get the CN24 report from USPS. Since no such report materialized, “Poste CH SA décline toute responsabilité.” :mad:

Why did USPS not want to submit Form CN24? Why did I keep talking about 2856, 3831, and other mumbo jumbo numbers that did not seem to have anything to do with what he and the Swiss Post requested? Why didn’t I try harder, or at all, to get a CN24 when that was the first thing he asked of me weeks ago?

I imagine he was as furious as I was about this entire situation.

I assured him that everyone I asked did not know what a Form CN24 is. Based on a cursory internet search, Form CN24 is a damage report. When I ask for a “damage report,” USPS representatives know it as PS Form 2856. I strongly suspect, on the international stage, these two forms are exactly the same.

I picked up the phone and dialed USPS. This local post office already fucked up once with a typo. What is their excuse the second time?

I wasn’t sure if it was my imagination or not, but it appeared the phone tree had changed since the last time I called because I had a harder time getting through to a human agent. Eventually, I got in touch with a very friendly sounding USPS representative.

She saw that Swiss Post had emailed my local post office supervisor to send a hard copy of the Damage Report on or around January 13th. This date was a few days after my most recent visit to the post office on January 4th about this situation, so the timeline matches up. However, she did not see a reply back to the Swiss Post, so it's possible my local post office either didn't see the email or was ignoring it.

Is this international interagency insurance claim going to go south because ONE person did not want to respond to his email in a timely manner? Who was this “supervisor at a local post office” anyways? Brian? Abdul? Oh god… Pam?!

Since there are countless post offices within a 50 mile radius, on the off chance the Swiss Post was sending an email to the wrong person, I told the representative Abdul was the one who most recently helped me file a damage report and the physical address of the post office where he worked.

The phone representative also saw internal notes in the system of all my previous calls related to this tracking number. I confirmed that while yes I have called many times, I still felt like I didn’t call frequently enough to have this case resolved in a timely manner. I shared my sense of disquietude that this process was taking an unreasonably long time and that I was concerned the Swiss insurance claim will be denied simply due to an expired statute of limitation. While I currently cannot find the source, I vaguely remember that any damage must be reported within 60 days from the mailing date. Had I called more frequently to confirm things were progressing in a timely manner, this situation could have been resolved much sooner.

She made a note that I started this Damage Report request on December 8, 2022 in case someone at USPS was intentionally stalling to drag out this process. She then told me she would, after this call, unhook herself from the call center queue to send an email to the international department that is handling this case.

Based on her description, I assumed Swiss Post did not get a response from my local post office about a hard copy of the Damage Report, so Swiss Post told @Northern Paladin the insurance claim is denied :mad:

EDIT: spelling and grammar

Last edited:
opps there's a 25000 character limit here?

Bittersweet Ending

On February 2, 2023, @Northern Paladin sent a Success Kid meme into the group chat of him, me, and the two chippers I was supposed to reship to. What does that mean?

It meant the Swiss Post finally agreed to reimburse him the full declared amount! Surprisingly, they also agreed to reimburse him the cost of shipping! Due to currency exchange rate and some rounding, the final reimbursement was only 90% of what the three of us paid. However, since our expectations were that the chips and the funds paid would’ve been lost to the ether, any reimbursement can be considered a positive resolution.

For those who read the whole thing, thanks for sticking through my rambling wall of text. I hope my experience can help in some way for any future chippers who may encounter a similar situation.

TL;DR
  • Purchased something in the PCF Classified. Paid with PayPalFF
  • Insured package shipped from Switzerland to US
  • US receiver received an empty box
  • Swiss sender files an insurance claim with Swiss Post while US receiver get USPS to submit a Damage Report
  • Local USPS employees jerked us around for almost two months
  • After countless escalations, flags, notes, and follow-ups, Swiss Post finally received the Damage Report from USPS and promptly reimburse Swiss sender
  • Swiss sender refunds all the relevant party

TL;DR TL;DR
Received a damaged package from Switzerland, but some incompetent or ignorant employees at USPS lack the dedication to follow-through on standard postal procedure in a timely manner. Sender was eventually reimbursed by Swiss Post after countless follow-ups.

TL;DR TL;DR TL;DR
Postal insurance works, but you have to be vigilant and proactive throughout the entire process.

What a nightmare. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'd be a lot less kind than you were by the time I got to "Abdul".

Thank you for this report Kai. Maybe it can help someone in a similar situation. Thank you also for all the time you have invested and without which the claim for compensation would not have succeeded.

Otherwise, I confirm that it was a fucking nightmare. The Swiss post poured into the accusatory inversion, seeking to make me pass for the culprit, whereas on my side everything had been undertaken in the rules of the art. "You should have wrapped the package better. You should also have..." And I'm not talking about all the annoying and superfluous questions they asked me in the context of the compensation procedure. I felt like I was dealing with a bad cop... In the end, I even had to explain to them what PCF was and why people were buying such expensive things... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Moral of the story: Perseverance pays!

Our local post office is great, although I've neevr had issues with lost parcels (knock on wood)

opps there's a 25000 character limit here?

Bittersweet Ending

On February 2, 2023, @Northern Paladin sent a Success Kid meme into the group chat of him, me, and the two chippers I was supposed to reship to. What does that mean?

It meant the Swiss Post finally agreed to reimburse him the full declared amount! Surprisingly, they also agreed to reimburse him the cost of shipping! Due to currency exchange rate and some rounding, the final reimbursement was only 90% of what the three of us paid. However, since our expectations were that the chips and the funds paid would’ve been lost to the ether, any reimbursement can be considered a positive resolution.

For those who read the whole thing, thanks for sticking through my rambling wall of text. I hope my experience can help in some way for any future chippers who may encounter a similar situation.

TL;DR
  • Purchased something in the PCF Classified. Paid with PayPalFF
  • Insured package shipped from Switzerland to US
  • US receiver received an empty box
  • Swiss sender files an insurance claim with Swiss Post while US receiver get USPS to submit a Damage Report
  • Local USPS employees jerked us around for almost two months
  • After countless escalations, flags, notes, and follow-ups, Swiss Post finally received the Damage Report from USPS and promptly reimburse Swiss sender
  • Swiss sender refunds all the relevant party

TL;DR TL;DR
Received a damaged package from Switzerland, but some incompetent or ignorant employees at USPS lack the dedication to follow-through on standard postal procedure in a timely manner. Sender was eventually reimbursed by Swiss Post after countless follow-ups.

TL;DR TL;DR TL;DR
Postal insurance works, but you have to be vigilant and proactive throughout the entire process.
This same thing happened to me about 18 months ago. The sides of the SFRB were not taped and the Warneke box inside fell out.

The USPS was able to determine exactly where it happened and had pictures (each parcel is scanned, weighed, and pictures at each check point.

I was able to complete a report on-line, include pictures, etc. Any loose contents are sent to a central location in Atlanta.

Kept the claim open for a year, and then just gave up - lol.

Moral of the story, from the USPS. Always double pack and put shipping address/email on the inner package/contents (e.g. Warneke box). If the contents (Warneke Box(es)) fall out, and have an address, the USPS will still deliver it. If no address, it goes into the Atlanta black hole never to return - lol.

TL;DR TL;DR TL;DR
Postal insurance works,
but you have to be vigilant and proactive throughout the entire process.

Yeah, I don't really believe this last part, in general. Even with vigilance. Individual cases will contradict my theory, of course. But in general, I'm not a believer.

And I too love my local post office. They're amazing.

Just a (maybe dumb) question

1676495013483.png

Why did you accept a destroyed package?

Would PPGS payment helped?

Just a (maybe dumb) question

View attachment 1081482

Why did you accept a destroyed package?

hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. With PayPalGS, I as a buyer can rope in PayPal to help me get my money back. Whether this is a good thing or not depends where the money is coming from. For my situation, I doubt it'll change anything since @Northern Paladin was ready and willing to refund everyone regardless of outcome.

With the signing for delivery situation, I think it was the difference between "delivered, but damaged" and "refused." No matter what I choose, the chips are gone, so it needs to be addressed. Perhaps it easier with the damaged evidence in my possession rather than voluntarily let an empty cardboard box float around on the USPS network?

Again, if this was a regular internet purchase from some faceless business, one option would be to simply pester the seller for a refund and tell him to pound sand if he wanted me to waste time running errands. However, I don't have a habit of burning bridges, especially when I know there's not THAT many people in this chipping community.

I had a similar experience - sent a package to a buddy in the UK, it was marked as delivered in June 2020 but it wasn't (signature on delivery and the delivery guy signed it himself), package went missing. I had to wait one month before making the insurance claim and it was finally settled in November 2020.

My buddy had to do a lot of legwork in the UK to get the package status changed from delivered to lost. USPS wouldn't listen - they said that it's marked as delivered so how can there be a claim. Once the status was changed, the claim was surprisingly simple if a little slow.

Would the outcome have been different if you had refused the package? Clearly it wasn't a package, just an empty box with your address on it.

I give you credit for the tenacity for following up on the nightmare scenario that you all endured.
I know that most of the sellers on this site ask for PPFF. Is it strickly to save the seller % fee, or other reasons as well.

Last edited:
Felt like bumping this because I was standing in line at the closest post office from my house to drop off an outgoing package when I saw "Pam" again. She was going down the line asking people how she can help. When she got to me, I said I was looking for an "acceptance scan."

"The machine outside doesn't work?" She said, referring to the self-service kiosk.

"That's a different kind of sca--"

I stopped mid-sentence because I didn't want to get into a pointless argument.

"I don't mind waiting. Thanks." I was second or third in line anyways.

I don't think she recognized me :rolleyes:

I have nothing to add besides my condolences... it's one of the worst blenders to be in.

HP can't get my printer to work. 10+ Hours over 4 months now to get a refund/new printer. My brother in Christ I feel (some of) your pain.

Postal insurance works,
I’m glad this worked out for you guys, but I question that final statement. Maybe Swiss postal insurance works. But just about every thread I’ve read here on PCF indicates that USPS insurance does not work. At least not on poker chips.

I’m glad this worked out for you guys, but I question that final statement. Maybe Swiss postal insurance works. But just about every thread I’ve read here on PCF indicates that USPS insurance does not work. At least not on poker chips.
Yeah, that was just my opinion based on a single experience. However, I discover the entire process appear to be set up intentionally for the possibility that a single mistake, whether your own or not, can cause an insurance claim to be denied.

For example, I've read somewhere for an insurance claim to be valid, there has to be proof that the package was physically handed over to the shipping carrier. For USPS, I'll hand packages to a front clerk and wait for him/her to acceptance scan each package and print a receipt. Allegedly, End-of-Day SCAN doesn't count, and neither does a Self-Service Kiosk scan.

Wow that is crazy and unfortunate what you had to go through to file a claim successfully @ArielVer18 . I had something similar happen to me August of last year, I was waiting for a package when my mailman was approaching my door he handed me a damaged/open box and I asked him "hey is everything here?" He said "I don't know that is how it was" so I brought the package into my house and noticed that 2 racks were in the package (espt100 and IG s$25) except 2 barrels of IG s$100's. I called my mom because she works for USPS and has helped me many times before without having to go through the call center LOL, and she told me I should have never received the package and to let the mailman know that I was refusing to accept it in those conditions. I explained to my mom that I couldn't do that since the package was not insured and risk giving back the 2 racks I already paid for to the mailman? An estimated value of about $1k? Of course she scolded me about insuring packages because things like this happen. My mom works at the call center and gets complaints daily about missing/stolen contents. I figured someone ripped the box open and pocket 2 barrels which is all they could hide? and spared the 2 racks they could not conceal? Not sure but that is what I figured happened. Well I took it to the post office, empty of course in an attempt to file a claim and fortunately for me the supervisor was helpful, he called the carrier who verified that he delivered the package open and damaged. Supervisor stated they should not have attempted to deliver in those conditions in the first place tape it up and reship back to sender. My mom also stated that if a package were to accidentally open up they are supposed to tape it up and put some label stating contents may be missing and they would acknowledge that. I ended up losing 2 barrels at the end of the day which was a bummer but it was better than losing the entire package! I did file a claim thanks to the supervisor because he was able to verify my story and asked me to add "contact Joe @ Phone number" in order for him to vouch for me. He stated that once the package is deemed "delivered" it is out of their responsibility. USPS sent me a check for $100 which I think is there minimum for non-insured packages and I guess I was lucky I got that. Lesson; insure packages for contents you cannot afford to lose. It sucks but it is better to be safe than sorry.

One quick story: I was waiting for a package of chips estimated value about $1,800 (my first big purchase on PCF back in 2019) I took the day off to ensure I receive the package. I kept refreshing my delivery status when package was "delivered" WTF it was not delivered at all but status stated delivered. I called my mom and she was able to locate where it was scanned delivered and noticed it was the 2 streets over. I went to my address a couple of streets over (different street name) and luckily a neighbor said "oh this is your package? I was wondering what was in it and why it was so heavy" Lucky for me I was able to retrieve my package because I could see where this could have been a total loss. Moms reminded me to insure packages and I guess I never learned my lesson :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom