An old friend and one of the first people I played poker with passed away. (1 Viewer)

Quad Johnson

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I know I haven't been here in a while but don't really have an outlet to share this with so I'm posting here.

I'm 39 years old and a guy I met in high school when I was 15, Mike, had always been around. He was part of our circle that got caught up in the poker boom post Moneymaker. Watching all the shows like wsop, hsp, etc playing on ft, ps, you know. The good times.

We played so many home games starting with tournaments after the boom and progressed to cash games. Our cash game for a while was actual change 5c/10c. He'd have just a buck in front of him sometimes and manage to go on shove or fold heater and get back up to a stack. It was eventually my interest in organizing that led me to this forum and got us off the coin and slugs.

Almost 2 months ago, Mike sadly went into liver failure due to preexisting conditions. He was on a waiting list for a transplant but he slipped into stage 4 and after nearly 5 weeks, he passed away.

We have our game on the first Saturday of the month these days. This December will be the first game without him after decades. We're having an ugly Christmas shirt/sweater gathering and in his memory, we're going to play the K9 game.

K9 was his favorite hand for as long as I remember. He loved winning with it. He also really hated losing with it. He was a very animated guy and funny and he always took beats well so when he'd have those inevitable run-in's making a straight vs AK, his reaction would always be a hilarious I can't believe it failed me dramatic affair.

We play 25NL so for the first game after his passing, if you win a hand with K9 either at showdown or showing it, you get an extra buck from everyone at the table.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening. Life is short so please enjoy it. That's what it's there for.

RIP Mike

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. One of our guys and a close friend is currently in the hospital for something pretty serious but hopefully not life threatening. And another old member was in a motorcycle accident that nearly killed him last year. Definitely puts things in perspective. While poker is just a game, there are real long term close friendships that are built on this thing we enjoy. RIP to your friend.

Hey everyone. I know I haven't been here in a while but don't really have an outlet to share this with so I'm posting here.

I'm 39 years old and a guy I met in high school when I was 15, Mike, had always been around. He was part of our circle that got caught up in the poker boom post Moneymaker. Watching all the shows like wsop, hsp, etc playing on ft, ps, you know. The good times.

We played so many home games starting with tournaments after the boom and progressed to cash games. Our cash game for a while was actual change 5c/10c. He'd have just a buck in front of him sometimes and manage to go on shove or fold heater and get back up to a stack. It was eventually my interest in organizing that led me to this forum and got us off the coin and slugs.

Almost 2 months ago, Mike sadly went into liver failure due to preexisting conditions. He was on a waiting list for a transplant but he slipped into stage 4 and after nearly 5 weeks, he passed away.

We have our game on the first Saturday of the month these days. This December will be the first game without him after decades. We're having an ugly Christmas shirt/sweater gathering and in his memory, we're going to play the K9 game.

K9 was his favorite hand for as long as I remember. He loved winning with it. He also really hated losing with it. He was a very animated guy and funny and he always took beats well so when he'd have those inevitable run-in's making a straight vs AK, his reaction would always be a hilarious I can't believe it failed me dramatic affair.

We play 25NL so for the first game after his passing, if you win a hand with K9 either at showdown or showing it, you get an extra buck from everyone at the table.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening. Life is short so please enjoy it. That's what it's there for.

RIP Mike
My deepest condolences!! :cry: Sending thoughts and prayers to family and friends!!

Rest in Peace Mike!!

Thank you for sharing with us, sounds like a lot of fond memories, something to remember him by at the table.

Sorry to hear about your friend Mike. Sounds like he’s left so many great memories to remember him.

Condolences to you and the group.

Sorry for your loss. Mike sounded like a great guy. May he rest in peace. For the record, K9 is a kickass hand.

Thank you for sharing, and, thanks to the PCF family that makes this a place where we can share things like this. Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved, I'm sure it will be a very emotional time, especially when someone turns up K9.

I'm really sorry for your loss.

.Watching all the shows like wsop, hsp, etc playing on ft, ps, you know. The good times.

These were good timee indeed. This part of your story brought me some nostagia.

Sorry for your loss. RIP Mike.

Several years ago one of our friends suffered double kidney failure and went into the hospital. We rounded up the crew (most of us all played poker together since the early 2000s) and we drove up there in 3 different cars to visit him and several different ocassions. Whenever he's in town (he's originally from Austin as well) we would always get the gang together to play poker, eat, drink and chat. Getting old can be painful sometimes but always cherish the times and memories you had together.

I'll do a cheers for Mike at our next game and will play K9 in his honor. What was his favorite phrase to say when he would win with that hand?

Sorry for your loss. RIP Mike.

Several years ago one of our friends suffered double kidney failure and went into the hospital. We rounded up the crew (most of us all played poker together since the early 2000s) and we drove up there in 3 different cars to visit him and several different ocassions. Whenever he's in town (he's originally from Austin as well) we would always get the gang together to play poker, eat, drink and chat. Getting old can be painful sometimes but always cherish the times and memories you had together.

I'll do a cheers for Mike at our next game and will play K9 in his honor. What was his favorite phrase to say when he would win with that hand?
"It's a good hand!" which was kind of a inside joke for us that goes back to reading Super/System in the late 90's and Doyle preaching K9 is a suckers hand and shouldn't be played. At least I think it was S/S? But you get the gist. lol

Thank you for the kind words and well wishes everyone.

Very sad to hear about your friends passing, at such a young age too. I'm sure he'll be watching from the big table in the sky and will get a big laugh from the next K9 hand.

I tried to play K9 two times last night. Lost each time lol. It’s a good hand!

IMG_7554.jpeg

IMG_7555.jpeg

Condolences. Life is indeed a short and fickle bitch. Sometimes posts like these help put into perspective that "problems" I think I have are really nothing in the grand scheme of things. Thanks for sharing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom