Paymaster - Custom GOCC cash set (1 Viewer)

Mr Tree

Straight Flush
Reaction score
So I've been trying to sit on this one until it's done, but I am not great at keeping secrets.

When GOCC had their summer sale a few months ago I decided to pull the trigger on an idea that had been percolating in my head for a while.

Anyone who has ever been to my room knows the walls are covered in jerseys from my and my wife's favorite players. One wall has a very different display though.

If you take the time to peruse this one you will realize it is an homage to my father's career as a stock drag racer. The frame includes his 1963 Florida state champion jacket, a magazine article about him...

And an ABC Wide World of Sports poster for the NHRA Nationals with his car featured on the front.

My father had a very short but extremely successful racing career in the early 1960s. He raced a very early version of the Hemi head engine which he had modified. At the time his numbers were blowing away Chrysler's specs for the engine so they sent a team of engineers to look at what he had done and adjusted their assembly of the engine to match it. He won the Florida state championship both years he raced and was a finalist at the Indianapolis Nationals. When I was a child on a trip to Washington DC I remember my father getting riled up that there was an exhibit for Big Daddy Don Garlitz in the Smithsonian. My father had raced Big Daddy several times and won all of them. My sister reminded him that he raced for two years and Big Daddy raced for decades.

My father's racing career was cut short by an accident he had that he probably should not have survived but managed to walk away from unscathed. Very shortly after one of his good friends had the exact same accident on the exact same track and was killed. My father never raced again.

Those who have read the Hitching Post history know the mule on the logo is a nod to my mother. I always felt like some kind of tribute to my father who passed away eight months after her was due as well. A seed for a cash set was planted in my head and took hold.

The concept for the set is 1960s racing. I want nostalgic kitsch factor and 1960s colors. I want the chips to be flashy and lively. The set is named Paymaster after my father's 1964 Plymouth Belvedere. These were always going to be ceramic chips because I wanted each to be a cover to cover piece of retro racing art. There will also be a related dealer button.

Currently I am still in the J5 backlog. I communicated my ideas to John and am trying (with mixed results) to be patient while he works through the swell of sets in line in front of me.

A note too that I felt there was some serendipity in making a poker set about my father as his name was actually Buddy (or Bud) Jones.

Anyway I will share more info as this project progresses.

Last edited:
I showed this briefly in the post about chip storage. When I got the idea to make his set I thought it would be cool to store the chips in an actual old tool box. A little searching returned a perfect result. However I was even able to improve upon it greatly when I found a site that sells authentic racing decals from various eras. All the racing decals on this box are either speedways my father raced on, races he attended (and most likely won) or authentic products he used. In other words these aren't just visual, they are authentic.

For instance there is a crane cams sticker on top of the box. If you look at the back window of his car in this picture you will (barely) see part of a crane cams logo on it.

This is really cool. The people I work for raced a Ford up here in Michigan that they recently found still exists 50 years after they sold it! what a great idea for a tribute set.
64-Ford-Galaxy-Drag-DV-15-SJ_01.jpg

Awesome idea, Tom, and I'm sure awesome execution as well. Very much looking forward to the reveal.

Awesome idea, Tom, and I'm sure awesome execution as well. Very much looking forward to the reveal.

Let's just say my art plans are ambitious. When I sent J5 my ideas his response was, "hmmmm, not sure how we do that. Let me think about it." Hoping I haven't stumped the master. I might have to scale some things back but I have a really distinct visual in my head on how I would like these to look.

This is really cool. The people I work for raced a Ford up here in Michigan that they recently found still exists 50 years after they sold it! what a great idea for a tribute set.View attachment 23976
Wow that has to be from the same era as my dad's Plymouth. Different make but the lines are so similar.

Love the story. Looking forward to seeing these when they're finished.

Very, very cool, Tom. Although I don't specifically remember your father, there is no doubt I saw him race when I was a youngster -- I was a fixture at Indianapolis Raceway Park, which was a mere 10 minutes west of my house (and Indianapolis Motor Speedway was 10 minutes away in the opposite direction). Racing cars at both locations could be heard in my backyard, and I spent more time than I'd like to admit during my youth skipping school and hanging out at both racetracks for practice and testing sessions. I rarely missed a race of any kind at either place.

Paymaster was a prominent sponsor back then. I distinctly recall Paymaster decals on some of the 1/24 and 1/25 scale model dragsters I built in the Sixties.

Very, very cool, Tom. Although I don't specifically remember your father, there is no doubt I saw him race when I was a youngster -- I was a fixture at Indianapolis Raceway Park, which was a mere 10 minutes west of my house (and Indianapolis Motor Speedway was 10 minutes away in the opposite direction). Racing cars at both locations could be heard in my backyard, and I spent more time than I'd like to admit during my youth skipping school and hanging out at both racetracks for practice and testing sessions. I rarely missed a race of any kind at either place.

Paymaster was a prominent sponsor back then. I distinctly recall Paymaster decals on some of the 1/24 and 1/25 scale model dragsters I built in the Sixties.
1963/1964? Because if yes the you probably most definitely were at one of his races which is really frigging cool to me.

Wow that has to be from the same era as my dad's Plymouth. Different make but the lines are so similar.
Yes it is a 1964 Ford lightweight. I think they raced it for 2 years then sold in in 1965 or 66. It has resurfaced and the owner restored it with the original paint and our company logo just as it was back then. I work for the original owner and his sons. I'll attach a pic of it in action back in the day at the Detroit Dragway...
osburn 1964 lightweight.jpg

Loving the thought and story for this set. I'm excited to see what J5 comes up with!

Yes it is a 1964 Ford lightweight. I think they raced it for 2 years then sold in in 1965 or 66. It has resurfaced and the owner restored it with the original paint and our company logo just as it was back then. I work for the original owner and his sons. I'll attach a pic of it in action back in the day at the Detroit Dragway... View attachment 23982
Shorter nose but very similar C pillar and grill. Definitely from the same era!

How on Earth did they find it after all those years?

Shorter nose but very similar C pillar and grill. Definitely from the same era!

How on Earth did they find it after all those years?
The current owner did an internet search of our company (Osburn Industries) and contacted us. Our company started in 1959 and branched out briefly into drag racing back in '64! I guess the car was pretty much left alone for many years and still had the original paint etc. It really is kind of a remarkable story as the car did have some very localized fame for a short while, but I'm sure no one knew much about it for many years. Crazy that it was left alone for so long, I think it is in Georgia or nearby, and has been in the south for years. I guess ford made a few of these lightweight models back then with almost zero creature comforts to save lbs., they were kind of factory race cars. Anyway, if it was my dad maybe I would make a tribute set as well, looking forward to your chips!

Ah, fuck, this is going to be amazing.

You and I need to meet. I have a stashed set of notes for a set based on my father's love of fly fishing...and his name is Tom.

I really need to get flights and hotels organized for April....

Let's just say my art plans are ambitious. When I sent J5 my ideas his response was, "hmmmm, not sure how we do that. Let me think about it." Hoping I haven't stumped the master. I might have to scale some things back but I have a really distinct visual in my head on how I would like these to look.

I stumped him last year with an ambitious art deco theme. It was going to be way too hard, even for J5. But on ceramics, I think it's doable (read: J5, don't let this man down! and hurry up with my design so we can see this one get started!). I'm in for a full set, no samples here.

Ah, fuck, this is going to be amazing.

You and I need to meet. I have a stashed set of notes for a set based on my father's love of fly fishing...and his name is Tom.

I really need to get flights and hotels organized for April....
Get on it! Everyone's going to be bragging about the bullets they've acquired and you don't want to be crying in your corn flakes!

This is a brilliant idea for a set Tom, for reasons including these:

1. Tribute to your dad
  2. Great history
  3. Fantastic theme
  4. Epic name
I briefly considered something along these lines, so obv money in bank idea.

I flirted with some along the lines of the Ed "Big Daddy" Roth chips, as I really love the bold colors and beat styling

hardrockroth4.JPG
hardrockroth3.JPG
hardrockroth1.JPG
hardrockroth2.jpg
getimage.jpg

I got as far as looking up price if a set of the four chips, found some, lol'd, moved on.

Lots of vibrant colors to work with in this palette

1963/1964? Because if yes the you probably most definitely were at one of his races which is really frigging cool to me.

Yep, I was a racing nut starting at age 8 (1963). My father was a exec at Marathon Oil, who was a primary sponsor at Indianapolis Raceway Park in the early-to-mid '60s (Marathon towers at the start/finish line). Back then, IRP hosted NHRA drag races on the 1/4-mile strip (including the U.S. Nationals), USAC stock cars, USAC Indy cars, and both IMSA and SCCA sports cars on the 2.5-mile infield race course, USAC Silver Crown, Sprint car, and Midget races on the 5/8-mile paved banked oval, plus a lot of lower-tier series and local stuff. We were there a LOT from 1963-1975. No surprise it's one of my favorite places on earth.

Here are a few images from the track during that era which may provide inspiration:

small-block-fairlane-and-big-block-galaxie.jpg

Norristown%20Ford.jpg
1964_Race-A.jpg

gay64.jpg

4381-2.jpg

IRP, then and now:
indianapolis-raceway-park-lucas-oil-aerial.jpg

fs4011.jpg

fs4002.jpg

139236995.sIUFznqh.1960s_CraneCams_420Htext.jpg

Ooh, I want to see! Gonna be epic, just like everything else Tom does (apparently it's an inherited trait...)

Great tribute and story, Tom! Eager to see these. Love the tool box storage.

Yep, I was a racing nut starting at age 8 (1963). My father was a exec at Marathon Oil, who was a primary sponsor at Indianapolis Raceway Park in the early-to-mid '60s (Marathon towers at the start/finish line). Back then, IRP hosted NHRA drag races on the 1/4-mile strip (including the U.S. Nationals), USAC stock cars, USAC Indy cars, and both IMSA and SCCA sports cars on the 2.5-mile infield race course, USAC Silver Crown, Sprint car, and Midget races on the 5/8-mile paved banked oval, plus a lot of lower-tier series and local stuff. We were there a LOT from 1963-1975. No surprise it's one of my favorite places on earth.

Here are a few images from the track during that era which may provide inspiration:

small-block-fairlane-and-big-block-galaxie.jpg

Norristown%20Ford.jpg
1964_Race-A.jpg

gay64.jpg

4381-2.jpg

IRP, then and now:
indianapolis-raceway-park-lucas-oil-aerial.jpg

fs4011.jpg

fs4002.jpg

139236995.sIUFznqh.1960s_CraneCams_420Htext.jpg
The images are awesome! I sent John a barrage of very similar images for idea setting.

This is a brilliant idea for a set Tom, for reasons including these:

1. Tribute to your dad
  2. Great history
  3. Fantastic theme
  4. Epic name
I briefly considered something along these lines, so obv money in bank idea.

I flirted with some along the lines of the Ed "Big Daddy" Roth chips, as I really love the bold colors and beat styling

View attachment 24006 View attachment 24007 View attachment 24008 View attachment 24009 View attachment 24010

I got as far as looking up price if a set of the four chips, found some, lol'd, moved on.

Lots of vibrant colors to work with in this palette
These are awesome too! Definitely has the 1960s racing motif down.

You have to make this set so that I don't have to!

I don't have the backstory but you sure as heckfire do. My dad peddled drugs for ICI. That's a chip set no-one wants to see!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom