Paymaster - Custom GOCC cash set (1 Viewer)

IMG_2144.JPG

Saw this in an antique store a few days ago and thought of this project. Hope it is going well.

I love old school racing. My two loves are Indy cars and non wing sprint cars on dirt. My dad also raced NASCAR jalopies in the 50s, we are also a race loving family. My racing Panacea was turn 4 at Manzanita Raceway (RIP).

Where are the chips man?

I had some fun a few times at the Texas Race for NASCAR Several years back I had the pleasure of presenting the Pole Position award for the Busch race. Got to meet several drivers since my Budweiser rep is good friends with Dale Jr. and team. She is like dialed in to every race. Great young lady battling breast cancer right now!. Anyone need XXL Budweiser Team jacket?

I have an old Mobil Oil can and several old items from Mobil if you need them for your project.

That is the bad thing with me. I have several collections pulling for my play money!!! Oh well, can't take it with you.

David

Just reread through this entire thread, because 1) I think it's a very cool project, and 2) it brings back many early racing memories.

The concept for the set is 1960s racing. I want nostalgic kitsch factor and 1960s colors. I want the chips to be flashy and lively. The set is named Paymaster after my father's 1964 Plymouth Belvedere. These were always going to be ceramic chips because I wanted each to be a cover to cover piece of retro racing art. There will also be a related dealer button.

I know you have your heart set on ceramics for a variety of good reasons, but it just occurred to me how totally awesome it would be to have tribute chips to your father made on actual Bud Jones chips. I urge you to consider getting a barrel of BJ chips (white ones, of course, to match the car) and turning them into something special -- perhaps show 'em chips, with different pics of your dad and/or the car on each one. Nothing cooler than Buddy Jones Bud Jones chips, and chips that were produced in 1963 or 1964 would be the stone-cold nutz. (y) :thumbsup:

Just reread through this entire thread, because 1) I think it's a very cool project, and 2) it brings back many early racing memories.

I know you have your heart set on ceramics for a variety of good reasons, but it just occurred to me how totally awesome it would be to have tribute chips to your father made on actual Bud Jones chips. I urge you to consider getting a barrel of BJ chips (white ones, of course, to match the car) and turning them into something special -- perhaps show 'em chips, with different pics of your dad and/or the car on each one. Nothing cooler than Buddy Jones Bud Jones chips, and chips that were produced in 1963 or 1964 would be the stone-cold nutz. (y) :thumbsup:
Nothing saying I couldn't make the set in ceramics and have some kind of extra like on a Bud Jones chip. Do they do smallish orders though?

Edit - just realized you were saying buy some old chips and customize them somehow. Maybe next week we can talk.

Last edited:
I love old school racing. My two loves are Indy cars and non wing sprint cars on dirt. My dad also raced NASCAR jalopies in the 50s, we are also a race loving family. My racing Panacea was turn 4 at Manzanita Raceway (RIP).

Where are the chips man?
In limbo. I'm not up in the J5 queue yet. [emoji29]

I believe he is currently working on Ronoh's. Not sure if he is still on anyone else's at the moment as well.

Last edited:
We're finishing up CdN - Tasting room. Bounties and such. Nothing big (except a felt!). Almost done.

We're finishing up CdN - Tasting room. Bounties and such. Nothing big (except a felt!). Almost done.
[emoji106]

I am terribly impatient and have been busting at the seams trying not to bother John. Not sure who else may or may not be in front of me in the queue. I initially contacted him in mid August and then confirmed it on September 1st. Really anxious to get to work on this one! One advantage is once I have Art the production will roll out super quick.

I'm in the J5 queue also. Helping a local guy with cash and tourney Game On sets on a football theme.

Poor guy, hope someone lets him out once a day to walk the yard.

[emoji106]

I am terribly impatient and have been busting at the seams trying not to bother John. Not sure who else may or may not be in front of me in the queue. I initially contacted him in mid August and then confirmed it on September 1st. Really anxious to get to work on this one! One advantage is once I have Art the production will roll out super quick.

I'm in the same position you are in. Just waiting but I'm in no rush as long as the chips get delivered in July, I'm a happy camper.

[emoji106]

Dang! I paid my deposit in November.....looks like I might be several spots behind you!

In the J5 line? I know Chippy is in it too. Not sure who else.
Yep in the J5 line. Good news is I already have my base logo and just need it tweaked. Also the long it takes, the more winnings I have to spend on more chips ;-)

Yep in the J5 line. Good news is I already have my base logo and just need it tweaked. Also the long it takes, the more winnings I have to spend on more chips ;-)
You're a lot easier than me. I have nothing and am asking John to design a ton.

You're a lot easier than me. I have nothing and am asking John to design a ton.
Oh come on man! You have a custom set already. Move over for us custom newcomers. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Just kidding...I just inquired with John just before Christmas so I'm prob. looking at the summer at the earliest.

Oh come on man! You have a custom set already. Move over for us custom newcomers. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Just kidding...I just inquired with John just before Christmas so I'm prob. looking at the summer at the earliest.
Pfffft! You think the first heroine bump is enough???

Reactions: 72o
I agree with @72o - @Mr Tree if you already have a set of customs......take a new number and move to the back of the line!! Do not pass Go! and do not collect $200.......:rolleyes:

I agree with @72o - @Mr Tree if you already have a set of customs......take a new number and move to the back of the line!! Do not pass Go! and do not collect $200.......:rolleyes:
So I shouldn't mention I also separately put in a request for a hot stamp design for a new solid CPC set as well then?

LOL.Time to pick up another hobby in the meantime....that's what I'm gonna do to hopefully lessen the anxiety.

Yoyo anyone?

LOL.Time to pick up another hobby in the meantime....that's what I'm gonna do to hopefully lessen the anxiety.

Ya. I tried this and ended up with a third poker table that I don't need. And before you say it, I NEED the chips. All of them.

And you'll all be happy to know, J5 is done with my inlay and only has felt to go and I'm in the back of the line again.

Ya. I tried this and ended up with a third poker table that I don't need. And before you say it, I NEED the chips. All of them.

And you'll all be happy to know, J5 is done with my inlay and only has felt to go and I'm in the back of the line again.
LMAO, you're getting two custom sets done and you have another project already in the hopper?

LMAO, you're getting two custom sets done and you have another project already in the hopper?

Just one really big set damnit. Gotta look at these things the right way.

And I always have projects in the hopper. I'm not the bottleneck, and neither is J5....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom