Opinions and reviews of relabeling over existing inlays (1 Viewer)

MykL316

Straight
Reaction score
I've been planning a couple of relabeling projects and wanted to get some opinions and reviews from those of you who have relabeled over existing inlays. Have you experienced any uneven stacks or spinners? Do you feel like the labels would come off easily during play due to being so thin? Do you feel you are sacrificing quality and/or durability due to the labels being unlaminated? I'm not even sure what other questions I should be asking or what else I should be thinking about before taking the plunge. Any experiences and advice would be much appreciated.

I relabelled over a couple of hundred sdpm t100s and was very happy with the result. I had some that didn’t stack quite as well, but I wouldn’t call them spinners.

I doubt they would come off if applied properly. I’d consider the colour of the inlay that you are applying over, you might see the edge of the inlay on some of the labelled chips

I had @gears do my labels and did a label over on my havana set and im completly satisfied by the results. They stack just as well as before and havent noticed any difference in the stacks. The labels hold together well and got to play with them tonight, they were a huge success. But my chips are minty new so im not sure about used chips.

735E019D-0362-4A18-854B-E9DF8EB435C8.jpeg

It all comes down to whether the inlay depth can handle the label. Mint THC/RHC chips usually can accept non-laminated labels from @Gear over the top of the existing inlay without causing spinners and still look fantastic. But consult with @Gear before you start out, he is the go to man when it comes to what works & doesn't work.

Thanks for the replies so far. All very helpful. Yes, the plan was always to consult with @Gear before making a final decision.

I would also like to hear opinions from anyone who did a full on replacement. @grantc54 and anyone else.

Thanks for the replies so far. All very helpful. Yes, the plan was always to consult with @Gear before making a final decision.

I would also like to hear opinions from anyone who did a full on replacement. @grantc54 and anyone else.
100% recommend if you have the money. I've replaced inlays on hundreds of chips and it doesn't matter if they are mint or not in a replacement situation.

Takes time but I prefer full replacement. But it’s also kind of rewarding and a way to kill time with chips.
100% recommend if you have the money. I've replaced inlays on hundreds of chips and it doesn't matter if they are mint or not in a replacement situation.
I definitely thought about full replacements but I'm a little scared of ruining some chips and not having extras or having a hard time finding extras to replace them. I've read and followed @grantc54's relabel thread and watched a youtube video on how to do it. Just still a little hesitant lol.

I definitely thought about full replacements but I'm a little scared of ruining some chips and not having extras or having a hard time finding extras to replace them. I've read and followed @grantc54's relabel thread and watched a youtube video on how to do it. Just still a little hesitant lol.
I would strongly suggest not doing it unless you have the right equipment. Gear is your man

I would strongly suggest not doing it unless you have the right equipment. Gear is your man
Well I bought new exact blades, mini precision pliers, needle nose tweezers, and model sculpting needles. Just need the non-acetone nail polish remover. Any recommended brands from US residents? Am I leaving anything else out?

Problem with removing labels is if you ever want to sell your chips and/or return them to the original state, you won't be able to if you do the label replacement.

Problem with removing labels is if you ever want to sell your chips and/or return them to the original state, you won't be able to if you do the label replacement.
On the other hand, there could be interest in chips with the inlays already removed, for those not willing to do it themselves.

On the other hand, there could be interest in chips with the inlays already removed, for those not willing to do it themselves.

I was just in the middle of writing the above. Keep in mind it would be very dependent on the specific chip whether it could be equally (or more valuable) without an inlay.

I was just in the middle of writing the above. Keep in mind it would be very dependent on the specific chip whether it could be equally (or more valuable) without an inlay.
I agree. But I wouldn't be planning on reselling unless i absolutely needed the money.

Well I bought new exact blades, mini precision pliers, needle nose tweezers, and model sculpting needles. Just need the non-acetone nail polish remover. Any recommended brands from US residents? Am I leaving anything else out?

...and you are going to be able to mill the exact same depth hundreds of times without error? That is the most important issue and making sure you are centered. CNC machine is your friend I believe.

...and you are going to be able to mill the exact same depth hundreds of times without error? That is the most important issue and making sure you are centered. CNC machine is your friend I believe.

Replacing inlays doesn’t require a CNC nor any concern about consistent depth. Unless I misunderstood, OP was going to remove and replace inlays, not mill them.

Where do the Terrible St. Joseph's primary fracs and $1's fall - less, equally or more valuable without an inlay?

Where do the Terrible St. Joseph's primary fracs and $1's fall - less, equally or more valuable without an inlay?
I'm guessing it would be specific to who's looking to relabel those chips.

Generally speaking, chips that have a useful place in existing sets, where people would be interested in buying them to add to or start new sets, are more valuable with the inlays intact.

Random racks of fantasy chips, odds denoms, harvest live $1 chips, etc could potentially be equally or more valuable without inlays. But even then there’s no guarantee.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom