PSA - Our definition of a "Murdered" chip (2 Viewers)

Wifey

GEAR LABELS
Site Vendor
Reaction score
First off I would like to say thank you.
You guys are pretty good at not filling our inbox with the M word, and it's appreciated.

I see this question here and there, and I am finding I want a clear dedicated post to point to...so here we are.
I wrote most of this back in February, but on a sale thread...

To us here at Gear Labels; to "murder" a chip is to permanently change a chip, to create a space for a 3rd party laminated label.

In our world, you only mill chips without inlays, like hot stamped chips, to create a space for a 3rd party laminated label.
Yes, there are chips out there that had labels, and have had a drill press remove said labels.
As some others have mentioned, that has a tendency to leave flashes of original label (and the original inlay space) left behind.
That just makes our little OCD hearts die inside a bit, but we are picky, YMMV.

The main reason we have to differentiate between the two, is for sizing purposes.
A chip that has had a drill bit pressed into it has a new and different inlay space size than one where the label has been manually removed.

Our definition of a labeled chip (one that has a 3rd party label applied to it) can be:
  • Fully intact with a thin label applied on top of the existing inlay. The original existing inlay is thus unharmed.
    • We call this Overlabeling/Overlabeled.
  • Having had its original inlay manually removed by hand (utility blade method), and the space that is left (shaped or circular) gets a laminated label applied in it.
    • We call this Inlay Removed / Inlay Replaced.
  • Having had its hot stamp (or inlay)removed via milling it off with a fast moving bit. The space that remains has a laminated label applied in it.
    • We call this milled.
Your definitions and opinions may vary...but this is how Gear and I communicate and be clear about what size to cut your labels.

Last edited:
IMG_6766.gif

I feel like there needs to be a special definition for removal of paper inlays. Aggravated murder? Hate crime? However not sure if that could be translated in the Gear nomenclature.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom